• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Asperger's or Hypochondriac

Status
Not open for further replies.

knownbeforetime

Princess of the Lord of Grace and Power
Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I took this Asperger's screener earlier today. A score of 32 or higher indicates Asperger's and I scored 41, 46, and then 44.
Psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen and his colleagues at Cambridge's Autism Research Centre have created the Autism-Spectrum Quotient, or AQ, as a measure of the extent of autistic traits in adults. In the first major trial using the test, the average score in the control group was 16.4. Eighty percent of those diagnosed with autism or a related disorder scored 32 or higher. The test is not a means for making a diagnosis, however, and many who score above 32 and even meet the diagnostic criteria for mild autism or Asperger's report no difficulty functioning in their everyday lives.
It all makes sense though. When I was in preschool, the teachers told my parents that I was probably autistic. I was in remedial reading and math even though later I excelled at these things. (BTW, my IQ is 133.)

I have extreme social anxiety. It was worse when I was little. I was too shy to talk on the phone (still am, I won't call strangers). I was too shy to smile for photographs. I have this fear of people being annoyed with me and so I rarely speak up. More than once, I have had my sarcastic tone of voice mistaken for seriousness. Even today, I have a hard time getting words from my brain to my mouth. I have to think REALLY hard before I speak. When I was a toddler, movies like "Willy Wonka" and "Wizard of Oz" would keep me awake for nights on end but movies like "Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Psycho" would have me laughing hysterically.

I am also sensitive to noise. When I bake, I use an old hand-mixer. The electric ones are way too loud. It doesn't hurt my ears or anything, I just get very nervous and nauseous. I don't use vacuum cleaners either. I have those old carpet sweepers. When I was little, I was afraid of public bathrooms because of the loud hand-dryers

I also tend to soak up information (which helps in quiz bowl... :p). In quiz bowl, it has been shown that some random obscure image on TV that I saw five or ten years ago has helped me to answer a question correctly. I am very big on patterns which is probably why I'm so good at math.

I had lots of obsessive behaviour as a child (I still have a lot of it). Lets see, socks have to be a certain thickness, pant legs MUST be wide and long, skirts long and roomy, (when I was little) shoes have to be tied TIGHT, shoe strings have to be the same length on both sides, strings on pants, jackets, shirts, etc. have to be the same length on both sides. I couldn't wear 3/4 length sleeves until I was about 14 because the concept just freaked me out. In my sophomore year of high school I wore the same thing on Monday, the same thing on Tuesday, the same thing on wednesday, etc., etc (mainly because I only had enough clothes to fill five days). Now that I have enough clothes, I wear the same jacket and shoes everyday. The only I change is my t-shirt, pants, and undies. I also had this thing about squares. I don't like round shapes. My artwork as a child consisted of stick figures and using the colors of the rainbow to color in a sheet of notebook paper. In middle school, I became hooked on a book series called Animorphs. It became a dangerous obsession because it really became idolatry. Now it's Harry Potter but not to the extent of Animorphs.

When I was little, I couldn't understand the concept of pretend play. I collected barbies but that was really just to collect them. The only thing I liked to do with my dolls and barbies was to dress them up. My mom tried to get me to name my dolls and stuffed animals and I looked at her like she was crazy because, of course, dolls and stuffed animals aren't alive. You could throw them against the wall and they wouldn't care. (I didn't name my pets either because I didn't think they would care... that's different now. The cat in my avatar is Sunshine or "my precious". :)) This is where I got into trouble because faith in God equaled fantasy which I really didn't understand. Basically, I didn't see God, so He didn't exist. The theory of evolution seemed much more plausible to me. It seemed to be rooted in the real world. But I know different now.

But all this begs the question: What do I do with this information?

Aside from a trained psychologist's perspective, what do you guys think? Do I have it or Did I just need to vent?

aspie4JC

Feb 17, 2005
✟126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am getting the difficulty you had with believing in God because since you couldn't see Him, therefore He didn't exist. My walk with God has had lots of rocky places due to all those literal difficulties! Always glad to find someone who understands what I mean about that.

Blessings to you in your quest. May God bless you in this. I love your cat!

Rachel

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Was I being rude by posting all that stuff above? I realize, a lot by reading some of the posts, that all of you have genuine problems and I feel like I have butted in with my minor grievances...

Upvote 0

Mirelys

Feb 6, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟7,393.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
If they concern you, they aren't minor :)
I also like to wear the same thing every day. I actually voted for my school to have a uniform (sadly, no one else agreed!).
I was in Bible Quiz in elementary/middle school and Academic Challenge in high school. It was nice to find a place to use all that "useless" trivia...:D

Upvote 0

Kekkaku Ryuu

Apr 24, 2005
Georgia
Visit site
✟15,491.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The only way you can be sure is to see a psychiatrist, but it sounds like you might have it.

My parents think that I have Asperger's. I have very limited interests, which are anime, video games, and tuberculosis. Tuberculosis is my main obsession. I'm also unable to tie my shoes, so I wear shoes without shoe laces. I also have a learning disability in Math. I can't do multiplication and division without a calculator. And when I learn something new in Math, I'll forget it in a few days if I don't use it.

Asperger's also can cause tics, which are movements that you have little or no control over. Ever since I was a little kid, I would shake my head around a lot. I still do it today. My mom used to tell me not to do it because people would think that there is something wrong with me, but I have trouble controlling it. I don't even realize that I'm doing it most of the time.

When I was in elementary school, I only had one friend. People constantly made fun of me because of my interests and the way I would act when I got angry. Now I go to a special ed school, and almost everyone there is my friend.

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't have tics but I DO find it hard to sit still for a long time (like in class). My mind starts wondering and I start picking at the dirt under my nails or finding split ends in my hair and (for lack of a better word) splitting them. And I just now realized that all this has to do with hands.....

(BTW, do you get "restless leg syndrome"?)

Even though I excel at math, I do have to practice it. I'll forget new lessons if I don't practice them too. It doesn't bother me though because I like math. (It's one of my obsessions... :) )

Calculus II rocks!

Upvote 0

Mirelys

Feb 6, 2005
Wyoming
Visit site
✟7,393.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Libertarian
knownbeforetime said:
I don't have tics but I DO find it hard to sit still for a long time (like in class). My mind starts wondering and I start picking at the dirt under my nails or finding split ends in my hair and (for lack of a better word) splitting them.

No no no! :eek: Do as I do...carry around a small sharp pair of scissors to trim them off so that your hair doesn't keep splitting :D

(BTW, do you get "restless leg syndrome"?)

I do, especially when I'm trying to sleep (of course).

Even though I excel at math, I do have to practice it. I'll forget new lessons if I don't practice them too. It doesn't bother me though because I like math. (It's one of my obsessions... :) )

Calculus II rocks!

I can't do basic math (such as adding, subtracting, etc) but I LOVE calculus :thumbsup:
Unfortunately I've only got through calc 1, because I decided to do something different and took linear algebra, then failed linear algebra because it activated my math disability...:doh:
So a semester is wasted, but I can't wait to get back to calculus. I will have to review the basics though, because I forget too. Nothing sticks in my head for long.

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mirelys said:
No no no! :eek: Do as I do...carry around a small sharp pair of scissors to trim them off so that your hair doesn't keep splitting :D
That would be the smart thing to do... However, I don't think my teachers would take to kindly to me giving myself a haircut in the middle of class which is the only time I notice them... :D

Upvote 0

Dean Anderson

Apr 20, 2005
California
✟777.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I can't sit/stand/lay still either. When I'm sitting I'm constantly moving my legs. If I have to stand, I pace. When I'm lying down (usually trying to sleep), I constantly toss and turn. It drives my brother crazy! lol

Also, I love math myself, but I haven't taken it since I completely bombed Trig/Algebra, when Algbebra is my specialty, a few years back. Since then, I've taken up writing, though I also wish I were in math. I don't need it for graduating though. I took the highest math I tested into (Statistics) my first semester and passed with a C without studing, and that finished off my requirement. It's probably why I'm doing well in my logic class (even helped a couple classmates in class).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

we5frogs

Child of God held in Jesus' hand
Apr 26, 2005
Allentown. PA
✟1,363.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi - I am a mother of two boys, one with OCD and the other with Aspergers'. I myself most probaly have Aspergers', although it was never diagnosed since it was never even heard of back when I was a child. I was just considered a little 'wierd'. Ok with me, I've never been one to try to fit in or conform, I just stay myself.

It most certainly sounds like you might fall somewhere on the autistic spectrum. However, the great news for us is that there is a wealth of information out there that we can find on the web about techniques we can use to find a way to make our unique traits work for us, or ways to compensate for them.

Personally, I have found that the counselors I had for my sons saw this as only an impairment that needed to be medically extinguished using medications. We did have a Christian counselor, who encouraged all of us to embrace the 'gifts' God has given us, and find ways to use them for His glory. For instance, I am often called on to make posters and signs at church, because folks found out that I make displays that are visually appealing (not to mention always even!). Also, since I have to take notes at any meeting, copy them , and then type them over, I have been asked to be secretary for several committees, they know I do not miss anything that should be on the minutes. My boys have learned to do the same for them, and when one of us has something we can figure out how to use, we talk to each other and it comes out.

So, I guess, for me, I don't think it's really important to have a distinct label for myself, as to know that I am not wierd, but that I am unique, and that He made me that way with plans for me to use it.

Feel free to PM or email me anytime.

Upvote 0

we5frogs

Child of God held in Jesus' hand
Apr 26, 2005
Allentown. PA
✟1,363.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Aww, thanks, though I think I am the 'lucky' one! They are the most interesting, fun to be around, challenging to figure out, keep me on my toes guys any Mom has ever been blessed with. I have to watch that I don't get downright prideful when I talk about them:blush: . Then I remember that God brought us together, and I am so grateful I can barely hold it in. It's easy to want to live my life for Him when I think of all He's blessed me with!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kayd1966

Don't just listen to the Word...Do what it says.
Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,654.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I would love to hear about how you see the world...I often wonder how my husband sees the world because sometimes I just don't 'get' his prespective. But I love listening to him explain what he 'sees'...share away...you are not alone.

Upvote 0

knownbeforetime

Dec 27, 2004
Pittsburg, KS
Visit site
✟21,967.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
kayd1966 said:
I would love to hear about how you see the world...I often wonder how my husband sees the world because sometimes I just don't 'get' his prespective. But I love listening to him explain what he 'sees'...share away...you are not alone.
It's hard to explain really... I think I have a very literal/logical/rational mind. I think that's why the Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka were scary for me as a toddler but Freddy Krueger wasn't. As long as Freddy was slicin&dicing on-screen, I didn't have to think about it too much. However, seeing that girl blow up to the size of an elephant in Willy Wonka made me wonder "Did that hurt?", "Is she going to die?". Having Dorothy wonder if there were lions, tigers, and bears was scarier than having actual lions, tigers, and bears jumping out at them.

In high school, I had to do summer school one summer and I found that it was so much more FUN than regular school! Because, they gave me a list of everything I was supposed to do to get caught up and they left me alone and let me do it. (I actually got to work at my own pace! That never happens in public school.) I also think I retained more. I really don't see how the "get-it-all-at-once" technique is easier than the "bit-here-bit-there" technique but it was better than me.

I think I do things better when people stop fussing over me about whether I'm going to do it or not. (That's why college was so much easier!)

Well, there was a small peak into my mind...

Upvote 0

kayd1966

Don't just listen to the Word...Do what it says.
Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,654.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for sharing...I'd love to hear about how you see God too...if you didn't know God, what would make Him real to you?

My husband can't understand God...he just doesn't get it....no matter how I try to explain it, he just looks at me blankly. Yet he has 2 BSc degrees, a Masters & a PhD. I find it very frustrating but I also realize that he honestly doesn't "get" it.

I wish I knew how to share with him without feeling like I'm treating him like a child. Hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.