• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Asperger's and relationship with God

Olivia Rose Marie

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Alpena
✟46,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So, I have a tentative dx of Asperger's and many, many, many of the traits I can see from when I was a little girl. Always socially awkward, a loner, very high intellect, hard to have and keep friends, etc. I "know" that God exists, that He loves me, that Christ died for my sins - but I have a difficult time sharing my faith with others and, also, feeling like I have interaction with God. My prayer life is stilted - I love Christian Contemporary music (sing very loudly in the car) but I have a hard time sharing someone else's enthusiasm about their relationship with Him. Am I struggling with the Asperger's? Or, is this really a spiritual problem? I feel like I'm in a world all of my own and there's no connection to anything outside of that.

Does anyone get what I'm saying? Or am I looking in the wrong direction?

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I have aspergers and I've actually found it to be a plus. I'm the type of guy who as a kid would watch Mr. Spock on TV and wonder why others considered him odd. He seemed perfectly normal to me. I find I don't get emotional ties with teachers or preachers, so I can examine what they say objectively, without placing them on some sort of pedestal.

I don't worry about 'feeling' anything when I pray. I'm just open and honest. I talk about things I've learned, things I'm unsure of or just don't understand at all. Really anything that comes to mind. Then I move on because I know He hears me, no matter what I'm feeling.

Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Olivia Rose Marie

Site Supporter
Nov 22, 2017
Alpena
✟46,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I have aspergers and I've actually found it to be a plus. I'm the type of guy who as a kid would watch Mr. Spock on TV and wonder why others considered him odd. He seemed perfectly normal to me. I find I don't get emotional ties with teachers or preachers, so I can examine what they say objectively, without placing them on some sort of pedestal.

I don't worry about 'feeling' anything when I pray. I'm just open and honest. I talk about things I've learned, things I'm unsure of or just don't understand at all. Really anything that comes to mind. Then I move on because I know He hears me, no matter what I'm feeling.

I guess I get caught up with the "feelings" because of the people with whom I worked when I taught in Lutheran schools. They would get emotional and choked up when they talked about their faith and/or prayed - I couldn't get it and thought it had something to do with my faith walk or lack thereof.
I see you attend Calvary Chapel - I watch several of the speakers on a Roku channel. I think I spend more time there than I actually do in church. How do you manage all the stimuli in the worship setting?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I guess I get caught up with the "feelings" because of the people with whom I worked when I taught in Lutheran schools. They would get emotional and choked up when they talked about their faith and/or prayed - I couldn't get it and thought it had something to do with my faith walk or lack thereof.
I see you attend Calvary Chapel - I watch several of the speakers on a Roku channel. I think I spend more time there than I actually do in church. How do you manage all the stimuli in the worship setting?

I moved away from my church a couple years ago, but he live streams on Facebook 3 times a week, so I can tune in when I'm able. If not, he also has an app I have on my phone.

As far as those getting all emotional and choked up, those of us with aspergers aren't exactly known for our flowing emotions. I've just learned to accept that I typically will stay non-emotional in otherwise emotional settings. It's not a result as a lack of faith or love, rather just a sign of our condition. We have our own walk with the Lord. He knows exactly how He made us and how we express ourselves towards Him. I'm fairly certain He's not expecting us to be like other people in that regard.

Upvote 0