Aspects of Christian belief that strike me as highly questionable - Part 1.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
What is this about Jesus not obeying the laws of a woman’s period?

Jesus was not a woman, so he didn't have periods, and thus could not have obeyed the law in regard to a woman's period.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus was not a woman, so he didn't have periods, and thus could not have obeyed the law in regard to a woman's period.

Yeah. I think we all know Jesus was male. That being true, it was non applicable since there was not the plumbing, per se.

That's a very odd comment

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Yeah. I think we all know Jesus was male. That being true, it was non applicable since there was not the plumbing, per se.

That's a very odd comment

The point I made was that even when the Law was given there wasn't a single person who was required to obey every single law because some were for only for men or only for women.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I know that what started the whole thing was them eating with unclean hands, and Matthew doesn't say it, but Mark 7:19 clearly states that He "declared all foods clean". If it was just the context of the story to go by, I'd agree with you. But Mark seems to have some additional insight that He meant more than just hand washing.

There's a spiritual lesson to be learned here in that whatever you eat cannot make you spiritually unclean, but rather what you say - what comes out of your heart/mouth towards others is what can make you unclean, so speak with wisdom and grace at all times, while rebuking when necessary.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nicholas Deka said:
I know that what started the whole thing was them eating with unclean hands, and Matthew doesn't say it, but Mark 7:19 clearly states that He "declared all foods clean". If it was just the context of the story to go by, I'd agree with you. But Mark seems to have some additional insight that He meant more than just hand washing.
There's a spiritual lesson to be learned here in that whatever you eat cannot make you spiritually unclean, but rather what you say - what comes out of your heart/mouth towards others is what can make you unclean, so speak with wisdom and grace at all times, while rebuking when necessary.
Mark did not say, "declared all foods clean". Those are the erroneous words of the translator. The "food" Mark wrote about was clean food that the disciples living under the Old Covenant were eating without first washing their hands. It does not refer to eating unclean meat. Mark was also referring to the body cleansing/purging the food eaten with dirty hands out in the draught (privy) through the digestive process. He did not mean unclean meat becomes clean meat in the body.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mark did not say, "declared all foods clean". Those are the erroneous words of the translator. The "food" Mark wrote about was clean food that the disciples living under the Old Covenant were eating without first washing their hands. It does not refer to eating unclean meat. Mark was also referring to the body cleansing/purging the food eaten with dirty hands out in the draught (privy) through the digestive process. He did not mean unclean meat becomes clean meat in the body.

That may be, I was only referring to the spiritual lesson, not the material foods themselves, as they don't matter in the point Jesus was making about the heart of men and what comes out of the heart.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That may be, I was only referring to the spiritual lesson, not the material foods themselves, as they don't matter in the point Jesus was making about the heart of men and what comes out of the heart.
Do you believe sin makes a person spiritually unclean?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe sin makes a person spiritually unclean?

Yes and I don't necessarily believe all foods are clean. I can certainly image some foods being mostly made up waste material and little to no nutrition which would be considered unclean, so if someone were to eat them it would be considered sinful.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes and I don't necessarily believe all foods are clean. I can certainly image some foods being mostly made up waste material and little to no nutrition which would be considered unclean, so if someone were to eat them it would be considered sinful.
Would you consider a pig unclean since YHWH specifically said it was?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you consider a pig unclean since YHWH specifically said it was?

I understand your point, but how do you explain Jesus saying it's not what you eat that makes you unclean? Was he not referring to meats?

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I understand your point, but how do you explain Jesus saying it's not what you eat that makes you unclean? Was he not referring to meats?
No, he was referring to eating clean food with dirty hands.

Upvote 0

gadar perets

Messianic Hebrew
May 11, 2016
NC
Visit site
✟130,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just to clarify further, the word "meats" in Mark 7:19 is "broma" which means "food". The food the disciple were eating was actually "bread" as in a loaf of bread (Mark 7:2, 5), not meat as in animal flesh. It is a false interpretation to read "meats" as unclean animal flesh into this passage.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have not come back, as I originally declared I would, with further comments and questions. This is for two reasons:
  • The number and detail of the responses is greater than I anticipated.(Again, thanks to all.)
  • There are multiple contradictions between different responses that I am seeking to get to grips with.
Watch this space.
Sir/madam....

If you don’t mind my saying this....

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not interested in a transcript of an apologetics debate.

Do you have any actual evidence that you can point to, instead of a professional apologetic who's just firing of one "argument" after the other in a gish-gallop without actually providing evidence for any of them.

I'm aware of who WLC is. I'm aware of his routine. There is no independently verifiable evidence there.

I'm not interested in name drops or mere "arguments".

Point me directly to the objective / independent evidence, if there is any.
His witnesses reborn of HIS life-giving SPIRIT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HE wasn’t referring to meats and HE finished up what HE said by saying what does make a man unclean

Not what goes into the mouth (which one could confuse to think HE meant types of foods) but what comes out of the mouth ( which one should not confuse to think HE meant those of food) that makes one unclean

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, can you point me to objective verifiable evidence, or not?
As I said before HIS witnesses who testify

You either believe or don’t
And regardless if you don’t believe it isn’t this that changes what is true and truth

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, that's a no?
I say that you will have to wait then to hear the TRUTH from THE SOURCE

Even as it is GOD who is the ONE who makes HIS plea through those whom HE calls and sends as HIS WITNESSES

Upvote 0