Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I know that it's okay to ask for money and help when you are really in need. If you just lost your job and are needing help to feed your kids, I would understand wanting to ask for money. If a close family member unexpectedly and aren't able to afford a funeral, I understand wanting to ask for help.

However, growing up I learned that if you want something, you have to work for it. You can't just ask for handouts and expect to be given what you want.

For example, I've been looking at sights like gofundme and kickstarter. Especially on gofundme, I see a lot of things like, pay for our wedding, or help me go to college. I don't know what those people's specific situations are like, but I am hesitant to want to donate to things like that. I want to be sure that my money would be used correctly, and it would actually help them get what the person NEEDS. But kind of like the saying "give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day; teach a man how to fish, and he'll eat for a lifetime", I feel like if the person knows that they can work hard and get the money themselves, then they should do that. I do want to help people, but money is a hard thing for all of us to manage these days, and so I'm conflicted.

That being said, I am also getting low on money. It's hard to find work and I don't work many hours. I would love to be self employed, selling things I make online. I make t-shirt designs and sell those online, but that isn't a very stable source of income. I want to branch out more. I want to start making and selling things on sites like Etsy, but it costs money to buy the supplies to make what I want to sell. So, part of me feels like I should just keep looking for better jobs so that I can get the stuff on my own, because I need to work hard for what I want. But another part of me says I should start a gofundme or kickstarter, and then I can promise the people who want to fund me and want to buy my things that they will get some of the things I make and stuff like that.

What do you think? Is it wrong to ask for money for something like that? I'm leaning more towards yes, but I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
There are two other thing that you might try before resorting to GoFundMe.
1. look around your house and see if there's anything you own that you could sell online
for some extra cash.
I had a friend that collected game cards. He had a sizeable collection, but he realized that as much as he liked that collection, what he needed was money for car repairs. so he sold his collection online and repaired his car, which then provided him with reliable transportation to hold down a paying job.

2. if you haven't made one already, start with a monthly budget to see where your money goes.
Then see what you can cut out of that budget in order to get your supplies.

Upvote 0

soulwanderer13

Oct 31, 2016
United States
✟11,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
There are two other thing that you might try before resorting to GoFundMe.
1. look around your house and see if there's anything you own that you could sell online
or some extra cash.
I had a friend that collected game cards. He had a sizeable collection, but he realized that as much as he liked that collection, what he needed was money for car repairs. sp h sold his collection online and repaired his car, which then provided him with reliable transportation to hold down a paying job.

2. if you haven't made one already, start with a monthly budget to see where your money goes.
Then see what you can cut out of that budget in order to get your supplies.

I can certainly try those things :) thank you!

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

LRose613

Aug 11, 2015
usa
✟12,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I did a gofundme once because my husband and I could no longer afford to live where we were and had to get money to pay for moving costs. We only got about $200 but it helped us so very much, without it, we would have either lost all of our worldly possessions, or been homeless, or not able to eat. I am so thankful for those donations, and I plan to do something wonderful for the two friends that made that possible for us.

I also run a redbubble, which does not make me much money, I average two to three dollars a month, I do it because I enjoy it, not because I want it to be my primary, secondary, or even tertiary income.

I think that if you want to do an Etsy and know that you have a good skill but don't have the supplies, a gofundme or a Kickstarter would be a really great idea. I would lean towards Kickstarter for this particular circumstance because it makes it easier to reward those who "donate" towards your cause. From my point of view Gofundme is when you are desperate and out of options, Kickstarter is when you have a skill to make a product that you want to make but can't afford to start making it.

Upvote 0

soulwanderer13

Oct 31, 2016
United States
✟11,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I did a gofundme once because my husband and I could no longer afford to live where we were and had to get money to pay for moving costs. We only got about $200 but it helped us so very much, without it, we would have either lost all of our worldly possessions, or been homeless, or not able to eat. I am so thankful for those donations, and I plan to do something wonderful for the two friends that made that possible for us.

I also run a redbubble, which does not make me much money, I average two to three dollars a month, I do it because I enjoy it, not because I want it to be my primary, secondary, or even tertiary income.

I think that if you want to do an Etsy and know that you have a good skill but don't have the supplies, a gofundme or a Kickstarter would be a really great idea. I would lean towards Kickstarter for this particular circumstance because it makes it easier to reward those who "donate" towards your cause. From my point of view Gofundme is when you are desperate and out of options, Kickstarter is when you have a skill to make a product that you want to make but can't afford to start making it.

My redbubble usually gets me about $80 per month around the holidays (Nov-Jan), but that's about it. I mean, that's great! But can't be used as reliable income. I also do it because I want to, but at the same time it would be nice to get some money out of doing something I want to, haha.

I could try the kickstarter thing :) It seems like a good idea. I've wanted to work on a novel/comicbook too, and I wanted to try a kickstarter for that, but I just feel like I need to provide people with something they can physically use and enjoy. But it's good to know that someone else also thinks it might be a good idea. Thank you!

Upvote 0

soulwanderer13

Oct 31, 2016
United States
✟11,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Why would it be wrong to ask for money, a long as you don't lie?

It's their choice if people give you money. You aren't making anyone do anything they don't want to do.

That's very true.

Upvote 0

LRose613

Aug 11, 2015
usa
✟12,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My redbubble usually gets me about $80 per month around the holidays (Nov-Jan), but that's about it. I mean, that's great! But can't be used as reliable income. I also do it because I want to, but at the same time it would be nice to get some money out of doing something I want to, haha.

I could try the kickstarter thing :) It seems like a good idea. I've wanted to work on a novel/comicbook too, and I wanted to try a kickstarter for that, but I just feel like I need to provide people with something they can physically use and enjoy. But it's good to know that someone else also thinks it might be a good idea. Thank you!

That's great your redbubble does that well! :) The novel/comicbook thing sounds more like a gofundme type idea, but there is definitely no shame in doing so. What type of art do you do?

Upvote 0

soulwanderer13

Oct 31, 2016
United States
✟11,621.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
That's great your redbubble does that well! :) The novel/comicbook thing sounds more like a gofundme type idea, but there is definitely no shame in doing so. What type of art do you do?

I do cartoons. I have a few different styles, I have an anime style, a more kids-y cartoon style, and a sort of comic book style. :)

Upvote 0

ArcticWind

Jun 1, 2016
România
✟17,781.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I think that it's every person's duty to try his absolute hardest to sort his own problems. If there is no possible way for one to overcome this challenge by himself, then I could understand asking for help, as a last resort.
But there are people that constantly ask for money. I don't know how they manage their money, but this is a very dangerous habbit, for both the giver and the reciever.
I don't think it's a sign of maturity to constanlty relly on the help of others to sort out your problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I think that it's every person's duty to try his absolute hardest to sort his own problems. If there is no possible way for one to overcome this challenge by himself, then I could understand asking for help, as a last resort.
I am not sure about that...

By using "possible worlds" scenarios and thought experiments, there may be cases when people are better of not only asking, but actively rebelling or mutiny, excaping on the next space ship etc.

Theres the status quo bias where the norm tends to be regarded as just.

But lest say someone is being exploited by multi-nationals, is 15 years old, and earning just enough to eat - whilst the bosses and owners get a massive profit. If he joins a union, and joins strike action for health and safety issues etc, how would that be classed?

He might do overtime to get by better, or he might take charity from the Catholic Church for example (eg CAFOD).

Upvote 0

ArcticWind

Jun 1, 2016
România
✟17,781.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure about that...

By using "possible worlds" scenarios and thought experiments, there may be cases when people are better of not only asking, but actively rebelling or mutiny, excaping on the next space ship etc.

Theres the status quo bias where the norm tends to be regarded as just.

But lest say someone is being exploited by multi-nationals, is 15 years old, and earning just enough to eat - whilst the bosses and owners get a massive profit. If he joins a union, and joins strike action for health and safety issues etc, how would that be classed?

He might do overtime to get by better, or he might take charity from the Catholic Church for example (eg CAFOD).
It's hard to say that there is an absolute truth regarding this topic. In this world, there is a huge discrepancy in wealth distribution. Let's say that in Africa people are starving and there isn't much that they could do to change their situation. But in the same time there are people who althrough have the posibilty to cope by themselves, they choose an "easier way".

Upvote 0