Does not play well with others
Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I am not getting along with my fellow forum members. There are a lot of heads that have warmed up over statements I have made, and it is time to address this. As such, this is my "Ask Me Anything" thread. You may ask anything you wish but since this is my thread, I make the rules:

1. If you ask me a question and I answer it, you must take my answer at face value. You shall not infer other meaning or analyze my statement. I will speak plainly.

2. I reserve the right to decline answering any question I feel is too personal. I enjoy a degree of anonymity afforded me here, and I don't want to risk that too much.

hopesprings

Apr 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟20,507.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
My favorite book in the Bible is the book of Job. I enjoy the story it contains and the lessons it imparts.

Interesting. I'm used to seeing the "warmer and fuzzier" books of the Bible mentioned as favourites. What lessons from Job have you learned that have been particularly helpful in your life?

Upvote 0

BadHabit

Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Interesting. I'm used to seeing the "warmer and fuzzier" books of the Bible mentioned as favourites. What lessons from Job have you learned that have been particularly helpful in your life?

The two major ones that I've taken to heart are:

1. Remain faithful to God no matter what. Even trials and tribulations are opportunities for spiritual growth.

2. God's plans are so far beyond the understanding of man that any attempt to do so limits God, who is limitless.

Upvote 0

hopesprings

Apr 18, 2016
Somewhere
✟20,507.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Remain faithful to God no matter what. Even trials and tribulations are opportunities for spiritual growth.

Agreed. Supported by ‭‭I Peter 4:12-19 which reminds us not to be surprised by "fiery trials"; we are to continue to "do good". Further, "[...] we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.” ‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:2-5‬ ‭NIV‬‬
If you have any other verses you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them. These were ones that came to mind for me.

God's plans are so far beyond the understanding of man that any attempt to do so limits God, who is limitless.

I mainly agree (99.9% ?). lol I would state that since God is limitless He is beyond any limiting action perpetrated by humankind.
I agree 100% that God's plans are far beyond the understanding of man! Considering He created the universe and everything in it--and we didn't--who are we to question Him, His motives or His plans? In Job 38-41 God puts Job "on trial" asking, "Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?[...]When the morning stars sang together [a]nd all the sons of God shouted for joy?" (Job 38:4a,7). Beautiful. Job ends with "I know that You can do all things, [a]nd that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
“Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand,
Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.” (Job 42:2-3).

Ok, so I've turned AMA into "let me preach you a mini-sermon". I hope you'll forgive me. I get enthusiastic. :)

Upvote 0

BadHabit

Apr 12, 2016
Earth
✟2,244.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I like to cook. I'm pretty good at it.

I have a dark sense of humor and can be pretty ornery sometimes, but I make people laugh.

I like to play video games.

I love to watch Tom and Jerry and Loony Tunes on Boomerang at night.

I like Star Trek better than Star Wars, but I own a lightsaber.

My favorite movie is DUNE.

I cry every time I watch Love Actually.

I think Mel Brooks movies like Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein are hilarious.

I love to learn. I'm getting my PhD in Industrial and Agricultural Technology. I have no idea what I want to do with it.

I have a Doberman Pinscher, and I love him to pieces.

I like to build things. Scale models, tying flies for fishing, building lightsaber hilts. I made my own Crucifix.

Upvote 0