• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Ask a physicist anything.

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by Wiccan_Child, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

+602
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Who said anything about exotic matter? Astronomers may posit that dark matter is exotic, but, aside from public misunderstanding, no one claims that it actually is exotic. All we know is that it's there, and that it's dark.

Nonetheless, it remains a possibility. In the 17[sup]th[/sup] century, there was no need for quantum theory, either.

Primitive compared to whom? It seems you have an unreasonably high standard against which you are holding modern science. But in any case, we go where the evidence leads us. If future experiments prove that our current observations are flawed, then so be it. But don't you think it's a little presumptuous to dismiss current data just because a) you don't like the conclusions, and b) there is a margin of error?

A minute ago you said it was experimental error. Now you're saying it's a slip in the mathematics. Which?

Both are possibilities. Try to remember that.

We know the mass is there, how much is there, and where it is.
    We know that light can travel through it.
    We know that light isn't emitted from it.
    What did I assume, exactly?

Uhuh.

I, too, am fascinated: how do you know what I do and do not refuse? How do you know that I "refuse to consider the possibility that [dark matter] is... aware of [me]"?

My name is a hallmark of my previous faith, nothing more. And the correct moniker is the adjective 'Wiccan', not 'a Wicca'.

There is absolutely no evidence for God (prove me wrong), yet there is evidence for dark matter. No one puts their faith in either: we follow the evidence and the logic.

It's amusing that you chastise us for putting our 'faith' in a scientific theory, yet you yourself are Christian! Hypocrisy is an ugly colour, Michael.

2. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,416
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Have you ever met Nigel Short?

3. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

+602
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Yes. As a Briton, I have met all other British people, since we all live within five miles of the Queen. ^_^

But no, I haven't met him. I hear he's an OK chess player, though.

4. AV1611VET

+40,416
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    LOL --- point taken.

5. AV1611VET

+40,416
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Since most people like to try and find the Bible's Achilles Heel, I think this is a fair question:

What is evolution's Achilles Heel?

(Isn't something considered outside the realm of science, if it doesn't have an Achilles Heel? Or falseality, or whatever you call it?)

6. Thistlethorn

Thistlethorn Defeated dad.

+48
    Agnostic
    Single
    Rabbits in the pre-cambrian.

7. AV1611VET

+40,416
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Okay, thanks.

I forgot about that thread.

8. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

+602
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Falsifiability. It's a trait that all good scientific theories have. It means that the theory can make predictions about what would happen in a given situation, and that we can go out and create that situation to see if reality agrees with the theory. If the theory is right, then it is bolstered by this new evidence. If the theory is wrong, then it is summarily executed before a Grand High Jury of Atheists.

Evolution can be falsified any number of ways, but anything which throws a spanner into the tree of life we've developed would work. Reptiles with mammary glands would wreck havoc with how we organise life, as would fossilised bunnies in pre-Cambrian rock.

That said, they would only force us to re-examine how life evolved, and how things are related. That life evolved from a single common ancestor is much more robust, and would require something much better.

9. Belk

Belk Senior Member Supporter

+6,359
    Agnostic
    Married
    So what exactly is the deal with the Higgs-boson they are trying to find with the LHC?

10. AV1611VET

+40,416
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Would a dinosaur with a navel be considered evolution's Achilles Heel?

11. PhilosophicalBluster

PhilosophicalBluster Existential Good-for-Nothing (See: Philosopher)

+46
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Others
    This always confuses me. Newton's third law states that every action has an opposite and equal reaction, that when objects collide, they exert the same force on each other. Why then, does a one ton truck accelerating at lets say 15 m/s2 seem to not react to the 13,000 odd newtons of force exerted on it when it hits a fly?

The only way I've made it through physics so far is by ignoring logic and just doing the equations, but I don't like it! :D

12. LifeToTheFullest!

LifeToTheFullest! Well-Known Member

+139
    Agnostic
    No.

13. LifeToTheFullest!

LifeToTheFullest! Well-Known Member

+139
    Agnostic
    M x V = F?

14. Gracchus

Gracchus Senior Veteran

+750
    Pantheist
    Single
    US-Others
    Holy smoke!

He got it right!

There is a God!

:bow:

15. AV1611VET

+40,416
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Don't go getting excited --- I read it in a book --- 14.

ETA: On second thought... :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  16. Jazmyn

Jazmyn Newbie

+12
    Calvinist
    Single
    Is that why some wheels on modern cars have alloys that actually go backwards? So you can film them going forwards?

17. Thistlethorn

+48
    Agnostic
    Single
    No, I'd say that's just vanity in action.

18. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+15,338
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    She makes a good point though. Historically, the rap video pre-dates the spinning rims, so that could be the reason. :D

19. Thistlethorn

+48
    Agnostic
    Single
    When on the subject of rap, I think it's time we got to see a repost of this: YouTube - Richard Dawkins Rap - Beware the Believers The only good thing that came out of Expelled.

20. AV1611VET

+40,416
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    * bump *

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.