• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

ASD and rejection

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
some will read the title and think this thread will go a certain way, but read on, as you may be surprised.

conversation is something that is unique to us a human beings. it's something that I have never been good at my entire life.

I've noticed that people tend to be frustrated with me for seemingly no reason. I don't say anything to anyone and I mind my own business. I've recently discovered that this may be the problem.

no one wants to feel rejected or that they're not worth someone's time. a lot of times I can be short or terse in interactions with people. they will attempt to start conversation with me and I will give them a short and to the point response. doing this consistently over a period of time gives people the impression that i'm not interested in what they have to say and that I want them to leave me alone.

in many cases this is true as I don't want to talk, but in some cases I do and don't know what to say to someone. it's the lack of conversational reciprocity that makes people feel like i'm pushing them away.

I've realized it's not harmless to not socially participate when people attempt to connect with me. many of the people i'm around at work or at church are friendly people but a lot of times i'm either genuinely not interested or don't know what to say to these people. this makes people become bitter in that i'm turning away their social advances.

just something I came to understand very recently..

Last edited:

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I think social skills are far more important than intelligence and technical skills in human society. You can ask a number of college graduates on the spectrum who can't find work.

this is true. networking capital is just as important as a good resume and degrees.

who you know is just as important as what you know.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Be not conformed to the world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. I have found that its helpful not to get into office politics or any of that but to try and stay above the fray. Also to avoid gossip in the office environment like it was the plague.

Reactions: Sandiamoon
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟144,784.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I'm an Aspie myself and have the same issues. I think it's virtually universal for us. I don't know how to fix it. It's hard to break through genuinely not understanding, genuinely not caring, and genuinely not knowing. Great news is that people who are mean about it were never worth it anyway.

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OP describes me. While it is hard not to consider it "a problem," it doesn't necessarily mean there is something wrong with you/us. Our culture trains people about what a "normal" social interaction is, and people are universally uncomfortable with the unfamiliar when there is some pressure to perform. It is rather easy to just pay attention to interactions that don't require any work—especially the enjoyable ones. I probably do it as much or more than other people do it to me, but that truth hasn't helped me avoid social isolation at all. (My hearing impairment multiplies the problem.) If possible, allow it to drive you to the Lord, who will turn it into a strength, and reward you in this and the next life.

People in the industrialized world, notably in America, have become hypersensitive to rejection such that how we interact has changed quite a lot. (And smartphones are making it worse.) Consider how the Jews (in Scripture and even in modern times) can engage in "discussion" with friends or relatives that is like an "angry argument" for most others, and yet their relationships can survive just fine. It's more appealing to avoid pain than develop a thick skin—which has become all but impossible in many of our subcultures.

Reactions: Sandiamoon
Upvote 0

Tarvorok

Custos Dei
Jan 14, 2019
Kansas
✟14,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I have a really hard time with conversation as well, even if it's pertaining to something that interests me, I have a habit of not saying much other than a brief summary of my liking for it.

A fear of rejection is honestly why I have no friends in my life and why I do my best to not go out unless I have to. Introductions alone are a nightmare for me, even in an online space.

Sorry for the necro, but I felt like added my two cents in.

Upvote 0