As a Christian, and as a Catholic...do we?

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Or are we called to watch others walk into perdition?

Or should we guide others to Christ?

:o I thought we were supposed to watch over one another.

Doesn't the Bible somewhere say to help others??

Debi1967

Proudly in love with Rushingwind62
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sometimes Sister when it is made obvious to us that the person in question does not want our help then we have to let go for awhile until such time as they will be receptive again to us. I do not think that anyone here wants to deliberately watch anyone walk away from the Church, I do however think that sometimes we have no choice in the matter but to allow them to Journey on their way and hope the Holy Spirit will guide them back again.

WE can only do as much as the person will allow us to do. In some cases they have made up their minds and therefore because of this it is left up to them.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
You can't coerce someone. In the end, they must come to God of their own freewill. Yes, they are morally obligated and bound by conscience to accept the truth, but there is nothing we can do to force them to act against their conscience. They must choose to love God of their own freewill, or it is not love. If someone already knows what they are doing is disapproved and why it is disapproved, then there's really nothing you can do but pray. Someone who has already rationalized their decision and made up their mind will not be converted back unless they make themselves vulnerable to the Holy Spirit again. Pray and treat that person with mildness and charity :holy:

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You can't coerce someone. In the end, they must come to God of their own freewill. Yes, they are morally obligated and bound by conscience to accept the truth, but there is nothing we can do to force them to act against their conscience. They must choose to love God of their own freewill, or it is not love. If someone already knows what they are doing is disapproved and why it is disapproved, then there's really nothing you can do but pray. Someone who has already rationalized their decision and made up their mind will not be converted back unless they make themselves vulnerable to the Holy Spirit again. Pray and treat that person with mildness and charity :holy:
It's always difficult to watch someone fall, but in the end, they have to learn to stand again. Some people can only fall so far and they may eventually return, but some are completely consumed. Prayer is our weapon against such things as it is difficult to voice disapproval. Chances are, they really won't like your disapproval because they are proud.

Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth. I have come to bring not peace but the sword. For I have come to set a man 'against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and one's enemies will be those of the household.
-Matthew 10:34-36

Just keep that in mind when you voice your disapproval.

Upvote 0

Markh

Extra Mariam Nulla Salus
Dec 12, 2003
London
Visit site
✟19,044.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps they never knew their faith from the start. :sorry:

Sad...

Its a difficult one....

we usually presume "that person must have been ignorant" almost 100% that is the case but it takes more than that to leave the Church. Many devout Catholics will know little theology but will still pray often, go to daily mass and have a great love for the Blessed Virgin, they will often have a very personal relationship with the communion of saints (especially the Blessed Virgin) and through them, Jesus.

It is that devotion and the personal relationship and faith (nurtured by the sacraments) rather than knowledge alone that brings perseverence.

It is ultimately the lack of this (on lack of depth in this) which will lead to departure from the faith. Seed that fell on rocky ground syndrome.

That's my take on it anyway.

Reactions: plainswolf
Upvote 0

Debi1967

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Perhaps they never knew their faith from the start. :sorry:

Sad...
In some cases, yes, this is true. Or they have hit a stumbling block to which somewhere else they have found the answer they wanted to hear as opposed to the answer God has given them.

Sometimes it is very hard to walk the path of God and therefore it looks so much more easy from another perspective. This would be the Devil intervening and taking on the appearance of something Holy when in fact it very much is not.

Someone who does not have the strength of Faith and does not exihibit it outside of these forums, by attending Church, prayer, and the use of the Sacraments will more than likely not flourish in the same way and therefore be open to such things more than those that take care of their spirituality beyond the sanctum of the internet.

This is why although our participation here is important and does help us, our participation in our local community and parishes is ever more important to our spirituality.

Upvote 0

Dolorosa

Jul 12, 2006
Florida
Visit site
✟7,768.00
Faith
Catholic
We can try to talk to people, give them information, etc. but if they show hostility, etc. then the most important thing to do is pray for them and also put a Green scapular in a place they won't find it as this is used for conversion and pray, "Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Debi1967

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am not leading people to God.

I am investigating and inquiring in good detail about different faiths, and learning about what people teach and believe.

OK Knowledge3 then either ask questions or sit back and listen.

Do not however derail threads.

Lovingly In Christ

Debi

Upvote 0
We can try to talk to people, give them information, etc. but if they show hostility, etc. then the most important thing to do is pray for them and also put a Green scapular in a place they won't find it as this is used for conversion and pray, "Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us now and at the hour of our death."

Good advice! Or if that's not possible I've heard that one can put it behind the picture of the person.

+

Upvote 0

Debi1967

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When someone is concerned about another person, how is that according to one's religion or faith?
Knowledge3 when one is concerned about one's spirituality and Salvation, then one must pray for the person and try lovingly to dissuade them of their obvious course that willlead them into error this is Biblical.

However, this is not always possible to do when the person will not allow for it to be done. So therefore all you can do is pray that the Holy Spoirit guide them back Home again to the Church of the Lord which is the One Holy Apostolic Catholic Church.

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Knowledge3 when one is concerned about one's spirituality and Salvation, then one must pray for the person and try lovingly to dissuade them of their obvious course that willlead them into error this is Biblical.

However, this is not always possible to do when the person will not allow for it to be done. So therefore all you can do is pray that the Holy Spoirit guide them back Home again to the Church of the Lord which is the One Holy Apostolic Catholic Church.

I feel that having to go to a bishop will hinder my calling to be a pastor.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Debi1967

Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2003
Green Valley, Illinios
Visit site
✟71,555.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I feel that having to go to a bishop will hinder my calling to be a pastor.
Again this is off topic to the OP of this thread.

Please refrain from turning every thread you enter into into a thread based solely on your concerns, whether or not they have anything to do with the OP or not.

If you wish to ask a question about how the priesthood works and how to enter into the priesthood then I would encourage you to please start your own thread to ask such questions ....

Do we have an understanding Knowledge3? You can get the information you desire if you do so in the correct manner and according to the rules of the forum.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

YOu present the truth in REVERENCE and LOVE as commanded by Scripture, and if they do not choose to follow, you let them walk away as Jesus does in John 6. Pray always for souls, sacrifice and fast for souls, be ever ready to give an account for the joy which you posses--but you can't force someone to choose that which they feel is against their conscience.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, we can pray.

But can we give food for thought first?? :(

My son came to me last night and cried...he was distressed that ppl would go to hell. He said he didnt want anyone to go to hell. [he is 7] and he wants to be a Saint and a priest.

I do so know how he laments such a tagedy. In his tender age...he is so concerned.

We prayed the Rosary and he was calmed and went to bed.

But it hurts my heart as well, because of two things....
Those who leave Christ, crucify Him again...:cry: [which His pain distresses me]
And those who walk away are on a scary path. One which is never worth it in this earthly life.

Pray for us....that we may be able to not feel this so much.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

We all crucify Christ when we sin.

All of us have the potential to turn away-, we must never err to think how much better, safer, or more secure we are....pride goeth before the Fall. We must work it all out with fear and trembling--knowing always that we have a capacity for great unfaithfulness.

Thirst for souls, have zeal for souls...but you must also respect their freedom, even to turn away--because we are called to love as God does.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We all crucify Christ when we sin.

All of us have the potential to turn away-, we must never err to think how much better, safer, or more secure we are....pride goeth before the Fall. We must work it all out with fear and trembling--knowing always that we have a capacity for great unfaithfulness.

Thirst for souls, have zeal for souls...but you must also respect their freedom, even to turn away--because we are called to love as God does.

I would hope that if I were in a cross roads, someone would come as a good samiritan and pull me out of harms way.

I suppose I would be seeking answers, rather than just asking acceptance.

Even ppl who wish to commit suicide are sometimes looking for a life saver to pull them up.

Upvote 0