Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something I wrote a long time ago on 5 temptations of a dying person from Ars Moreindi.

The ARS MORIENDI

Ars Moriendi is a Latin term that can be translated as the Art of Dying. For centuries it has referred to a genre of literature dealing with the spiritual preparation for death. The paradigm of this genre is the 15th century anonymous treatise entitled, Tractatus de Arte Moriendi (A Treatment of the Art of Dying). This essay will refer to it as the Art of Dying. Imbedded deeply in our history of care for the dying, this 600 year old artifact of our tradition can speak to us today and enhance our ministry. Do we know how to die today?

There is a great deal for reflection and commentary in the Art of Dying. In fact, for a book once popular for two centuries throughout Western Europe, there has been surprisingly little attention paid to it since. This essay will focus on its five “temptations” of a dying person with only limited discussion of other parts as they relate to the temptations. These five temptations: loss of faith, despair, impatience, complacence, and clinging, provide a thematic structure for spiritual conversation.

The first temptation is to lose faith. Faith is described as the foundation of all health, and goodness. St. Augustine and St. Paul are quoted, “One without faith is already judged.” & “Without faith it is not possible to please God.” The Devil is credited as the source of all temptations and though the Devil can tempt, human free will remains the dying person’s most valuable asset which must be guarded above all. Often enough among the dying, there are people of faith who ask, “Why me? I have been faithful and prayed all my life.” Faith is shaken. Many feel they had a pact with God, that if they followed the rules and said the prayers they would not face death before the fullness of years. The Devil attacks, “You wretch. You have been greatly mistaken. It is not as you believe or as the preacher says.” The vulnerability or fragility of one’s faith can depend on one’s level or stage of faith. James fowler describes one of the earlier stages as based on reciprocal fairness and a justice based on reciprocity. A terminal illness can seem unfair, unjust and will challenge faith at that stage. With the illness there may also be unresolved anger that manifests as a rejection of God. Anger is the second of Elizabeth Kubler-Ross’s well known five stage model of grief. (Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance). How might one assist another in coping with loss of faith or with anger?

The Art of Dying recommends recitation of the Creed or expressing belief in God “in a loud voice,” recounting of stories of examples of Biblical faith such as Abraham, Job, Paul, etc. Also relevant to dealing with doubt is the first question: “Do you believe in God (still)?” The great value of questions lie in that they provide opportunity for the person to reflect, articulate, verbalize, proclaim, and affirm their own faith. Pastoral ministry here is not a matter of preaching nor judging, but of skilled listening. “Can you tell me more about what you believe about God, your relationship with God?” Pastoral conversation assists the dying in processing the emotional and intellectual response to the illness. The goal is to assist such persons to integrate this catastrophic situation into his or her belief system or personal theology, to perhaps see God in a new way and thus strengthen the faith, grow in faith, come to a new stage of faith. The creed and biblical narratives then also have new meaning and value. The initial issue, however, is an assessment of faith.

Despair, the second temptation, is hopelessness and failure to trust in God. Sins seem too great and too many to be forgiven. A few people bluster, “I have not been a good Christian all my life. I will not be a hypocrite now that I’m dying.” There is some degree of pride to this, as if the sin or sins of this person are greater than God’s ability to forgive. On the other hand there are also those who feel, and have always felt, unloved and unworthy of anything but reproach, condemnation and punishment. Psychological issues of poor self image contaminate spiritual health.

The Art of Dying prescribes a recounting of the scriptural example of great sinners who were forgiven: Peter who denied Jesus, Paul who persecuted the Church, Matthew and Zaccheus the tax collectors, the woman caught in adultery, etc. It recalls the words of St. Bernard, “God’s mercy is greater than any sin.” Again the questions can serve as starting points for pastoral conversation. “What is your greatest concern right now?” If despair is indicated: “Are you sorry for your sins? Do you believe Christ died for your sins?” (For Christians) “Would you like to make a Confession?” (For Catholics) “Is there anyone with whom you would like to reconcile?” Questions help provide opportunity for the person to express in his or her own words an affirmation of faith. It becomes a process for life review ultimately leading to a shift of focus from “me” to the passion of Christ. In fact, the Art of Dying recommends that a crucifix be always present to gaze upon so that one can consider the disposition of Christ on the cross, “giving all himself” for such sins.

The following invocation is recommended and is typical of the prayers found in the Art of Dying:

“Also, let him say three times these words or similar ones, which are ascribed to blessed Augustine: May the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the power of his passion, and the sign of the holy cross, and the purity of the most blessed Virgin Mary, and the blessing of all the saints, and the protection of the angels, and the prayers of all the elect be between me and all my enemies visible and invisible in this hour of my death.”

Impatience is a temptation against love because “love endures all things.” as St. Paul said. The ordeal of sickness and death is all too often a grueling journey. Regardless of the length, for the person enduring it, it is too long and too painful. It is no wonder some people opt for euthanasia. Fortunately, hospice care is now the standard of care for the dying. The problem is that many people cannot accept the fact that they are hospice appropriate. They continue to push for aggressive therapy that is essentially futile. Families often play an influential role in this when they cannot accept the impending loss. Instead they continue to encourage the person to fight the disease, “You can beat it.” Miracles are often expected.

The Art of Dying addresses this tendency. It warns, “Do not tell the person there is hope of cure.” The concern is failure to prepare spiritually. There is a delicate balance between false hope and “false no hope” as Bernie Siegle wrote. The latter being a premature prognosis of death. Science has come a long way and diseases that once were hopeless are now manageable. The skilled minister tactfully helps to frame things in terms of new realistic hopes that make the best of life as it now is. It is a careful endeavor to give full respect to the true gravity of an illness and help prepare for death, while at the same time not aggravating the fear, sadness and anxiety that is already present.

The Art of Dying tells us that suffering, endured patiently, is a cleansing process. Suffering is easier to endure and it is easier to have patience, if one sees meaning and purpose in the suffering. This is no small challenge. The distinction between a meaningless needle prick and a vaccine shot is easy enough to understand and accept. But the suffering of many human illnesses often makes no sense to us at all and there is no simple advice for the companion or minister seeking to assist the dying. The meaning and purpose that an individual might discover in such a situation can be as unique as the person. One person may find meaning in solidarity with the suffering Christ. Another sees the illness bringing family closer together. A third simply accepts the cycle of life and “the way things are” while a fourth family member speaks in terms of “God needing another flower in His garden.” One must withhold judgment to beneficially journey with people seeking meaning and purpose. Only meaning and purpose, no matter how expressed or imaged, will bring the peace and patience to cope with serious illness and loss. It is interesting to note that the same families who refused to accept the impending loss, upon seeing their loved one suffering in the last days, then pray for it to end and express some degree of guilt about that prayer. God’s timing is too soon and then not soon enough.

Sometimes worn down people who are so tired of their illness basically refuse to comply with their own plan of care. Not to be confused with a natural withdrawal, this is despair of a different kind, not of their sinfulness, but of their life situation. It is a vast hopelessness due to the loss of worldly goods including health, mobility, physical strength and autonomy. These are some of the same issues relevant to the fifth temptation of avarice. The image of the crucified Christ is recommended for contemplation as he was patient “even unto death.”

Complacence is the fourth temptation. Those who have had strong faith, who have been religious, are most vulnerable to this temptation. It is tantamount to spiritual pride. There is a diminished sense of guilt and exaggerated self righteousness. It is the opposite of despair and needs to be balanced against it. We are told about the Devil “Throwing such thoughts as these against him like darts: ‘How firm you are in faith, how strong in hope, how patient in your illness, how much good you have done! You should take special pride because you are not like others...” Meekness is the antidote to this temptation and it comes by reflecting on ones sins. It should be remembered that “pride so offends God that for the sake of it alone he banished the noblest creature Lucifer...” “It is pride alone that makes an angel into a devil.” What is needed is self examination. One must not simply acknowledge a general vague sinfulness. Self righteous people acknowledge their general sinfulness as a perfunctory prerequisite to claim the virtue of humility. In so doing they fail to identify, and own, specific failures that are the grist of true compunction and repentance. An honest and specific examination of conscience helps to nurture a meekness that properly disposes one to meet one’s creator. Examination of conscience with pastoral guidance through a life review process, can lead one into significant actionable self awareness of both the good and bad of one’s life, the blessings and the failures. There may still be an unrecognized need for reconciliation and closure to be discovered.

The last temptation is avarice or inordinate clinging to the world, inordinate as in inappropriate for this moment in one’s life. If it is within God’s will that life is ending, it is then against God’s will that one cling to all that is of this world including family, business, pleasures, wealth, etc. Once again, as in the case of impatience with dying, the family can play a strong roll. Perhaps they are the ones clinging, the ones refusing to let go. The dying person may actually be trying to withdraw and the family cannot accept it. The Art of Dying states, “When one is at the point of death and is hurrying to the end then should no carnal friends, nor wife (husband), nor children, nor riches, nor temporal goods be brought before him...” Fortunately, it provides qualification, “…only as much as spiritual health and profit of the sick one asks and requires.”

Family attachments are often the chief source of sorrow for the dying person. Not wanting to abandon loved ones may be the only thing holding a person back from “letting go.” Yet contact with family and friends may be exactly what is needed for permission and goodbyes, for reconciliation and final words, for blessings and reassurance. Later in the Art of Dying reference will be made to the model death of Jesus, including the transfer of filial responsibility of his mother over to John. Perhaps then, the more appropriate pastoral response is not to keep family and friends away but to facilitate such handing over of earthly concerns, be they possessions, business, or family. Facilitating any communication that needs to take place is a gift. Just because something needs to be said does not mean it will be said easily or perhaps even said at all.

To overcome this temptation to cling to family life, the Art of Dying recommends meditation on the poverty of Christ “as he hung on the cross for you.” The key issue is whether the person is tempted to “turn from the love of God.” Voluntary poverty of this kind as death approaches is the antidote for the love of worldly goods that separates one from the love of God. At the time of death, what the Art of Dying calls the “articulis mortis,” the “turning point of death,” a decision must be made. Of course we are called to love our neighbors as ourselves, to love all, including family. But God must have priority in this love as Jesus taught, “Those who love mother, father, sister, brother more than me are not worthy of me.” The pastoral care giver can help to see the love of family, friends, and the goods of this world in the greater context of God’s larger plan, God’s larger life, thus easing the tendency to cling.

Conclusion

Contemporary training for the professional chaplain involves Clinical Pastoral Education. There, emphasis is placed on respecting the spirituality, the spiritual journey, and religious beliefs of everyone at the moment of encounter. This encompasses a wide range of tolerance for any form of Christian faith, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, but also Wicca and any mixture of New Age thinking or no apparent religious beliefs at all. As long as a person is not spiritually suffering from their belief system, their spirituality, it is not the chaplain’s role to challenge or evangelize in the traditional sense of the word. Rather, the chaplain is there to assist people to access the blessing of their own spirituality and in so doing to mediate God’s presence. However, that role is not limited to the professional chaplain. Indeed, the purpose of the Art of Dying is to guide anyone, especially the laity and “all true Christians,” to learn and have knowledge of how to die well.

Though death is a universal human experience, we all cope with it in different ways. Perhaps everyone does not experience all five temptations as presented in the Art of Dying. Nevertheless, faith, despair, complacence, impatience and clinging serve as a structure for reflection and opening for pastoral dialogue (especially for Christians) that lead people to see, perhaps even for the first time, their belief system, where their faith lies, and how well they have lived according to those values. How one dies is the last statement one makes. It is the last opportunity to reconcile, if needed. It is the last opportunity to proclaim what faith they have and to live through that faith into death. The Art of Dying can be summarized in one line: “Bene Mori est libenter mori.” To die well is to die willingly, freely. We all share in the work to be done toward that final freedom. The six hundred year old Tractatus de Arte Moriendi, from the heart of the Catholic spiritual care tradition, provides a useful method for that work.

References
Beaty, Nancy Lee. The Craft of Dying. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press, 1970.

Comper, Frances M.M. The Book of The Craft of Dying. New York, NY: ANO Press, 1977.

Siegel, Bernie S., MD. Peace, Love and Healing. New York, NY: Harper Row, 1989.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟282,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Prayers from Ars Moriendi

O, Most high God and endless Goodness, most merciful and glorious Trinity, highest affection, love, and charity, have mercy on me, a sinner. To you I fully commend my spirit.

Lord Jesus Christ, for the bitterness that you suffered for me on the cross, and most in that hour when your most blessed soul passed out of your body, have mercy on my soul in its passing.

O glorious Queen of Heaven, mother of mercy and refuge of all sinful people; reconcile me to your sweet son, my Lord Jesus, and pray for me a sinful wretch, to His great mercy, that for love of you, sweet Lady, he will forgive me my sins.

Holy Angels of Heaven, assist me as I pass out of this world and mightily deliver me and keep me from all my adversaries. Take my soul into your blessed company, and especially you, my good angel that have been a continual guardian ordained by God.

The peace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the virtue of his passion and the sign of the holy cross and the purity of Our Lady, Saint Mary and the blessing of all the saints and the care of all angels and the approval of all the chosen people of God be between me and my enemies, visible and invisible in this hour of my death. Amen.

Largire
Grant me a clear end, that my life never fall downwards; but give me everlasting glory that is the reward of holy dying.

For the love that made you to be wounded and die for the health and salvation of humankind, most worthy and innocent Son of God, of your blessed Father in heaven, and for the sake of humanity sweet Lord Jesus full of mercy, forgive your servant who has sinned in thought word and deed in all affections, desires, motions, strengths and wits of his soul and body; and in remission of them all forgive your servant, give him that most sufficient correction by which you wash away all the sins of the world and in supply of all his negligence, put to him that holy conversation that you had from the hour of your conception until the hour of your death; also, the fruit of all good deeds that have pleased you and will please you in all your chosen people from the beginning of the world to its end, Sweet Lord Jesus, who lives and reigns with your Father and with the Holy Spirit, One God without end. Amen.

For the union of the most fervent love that stirred and made you, life of all things that live, to be incarnate of our Lady, and with great anguish of your spirit to die for charity and for love of us, we cry to the center of your most benign heart that you forgive the soul of your servant all sins and with your most holy conversation and most worthy merit of your passion fulfill all negligence and omissions, and make him and us all to feel by experience the most superabundant greatness of your mercies; and especially this person our brother, who you have suddenly called before your glorious majesty in the most pleasant manner to you and most profitable to him and us all. Let him be present to you with sweet patience, true repentance, and full remission; with rightful faith, stable hope, and perfect charity, that he may die blessedly, in a perfect state, between you most sweetest embrace and most sweet kissing, into your everlasting praising. Amen.

Into the hands of your unending mercy, holy Father, righteous and most beloved Father, we commend the spirit of our brother, your servant, through the greatness of love that the holy soul of your blessed Son commended himself to you on the cross, praying sincerely that for the inestimable charity your holy Godliness dew fully into yourself the blessed soul of your Son, that now in his last hour you receive sweetly the spirit of our brother, your servant, in the same love. Amen.

St. Michael, the archangel of our Lord Jesus Christ, help us at our highest judgment. O invincible warrior assist our loved one now laboring now greatly in his end and defend him powerfully from the dragon of hell and from all lies of malicious spirits. Furthermore, we pray to you who are so pure and so worthy a minister of God, that in the last hour of the life of our loved one you will receive his soul easily and gently into your holy embrace and bring her into the place of refreshing peace and rest. Amen

Ever pure and blessed virgin Mary, singular help and comfort in every anguish and necessity, help us sweetly, and show to our brother, your servant, your glorious face now in his last need. And chase all his enemies from him through the virtue of you dear beloved Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, and of the holy Cross; and deliver him from all difficulties of body and soul, that he may thank and worship God without end. Amen

My most sweet redeemer, most merciful Jesus, and most kind Lord, for that sorrowful voice that you had in your manhood when you died for us and were so consumed with sorrows and hardship of your passion that you called, forsaken by the Father, do not be far from your brother, your servant, but give him your help, your mercy, in the hour of his death; and be mindful of his grievous affliction and pain of his soul, which in this last hour of his passing, for failing of his spirits, has no strength to call you for help: but by the victory of the cross and by the virtue of your holy passion and loving death, think upon her thoughts of peace and not of affliction, but of mercy and comfort; deliver her fully from all kinds of anguishes. With the same hands that you suffered to be nailed on the cross for her sake with sharp nails, good Jesus and sweet Father, deliver her from the torments ordained for her, and bring her to everlasting bliss and rest, with a voice of exaltation and acknowledgement of your mercy. Amen.

Most merciful Lord Jesus Christ, God’s Son, in union with commendation that you command you holy soul to you heavenly Father, dying on the cross, we commend to your ineffable pity the soul of our brother, your servant, praying your most merciful goodness that for all the worship and merit of your most holy soul, by which all souls are saved and delivered from the debt of death, have mercy on the soul of our brother, your servant; delivering her mercifully from all miseries and pains and for the love and mediation of your sweet mother, bring her to contemplation of the joy of your sweet and merciful everlasting sight. Amen.

Merciful and kind God. that through the greatness of your mercy do away the sin of those who truly repent, and void the blame of sins of the past through the grace of your forgiveness, we beg that you look mercifully on our brother, your servant, and graciously hear him asking with full confession of his heart, remission of all his sins. Renew in him, most merciful Father, all that is corrupt in him by bodily frailty, or fouled with the fraud of the Devil, and gather him into the unity of the body of Holy Church, and make him a member of Holy Redemption. Have mercy, Lord, upon his cries. Have mercy upon his tears, and admit him to the sacrament of your reconciliation as he has no trust but in your mercy, by our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

Dear brother, I commend you to almighty God and commit you to him whose creature you are that when your humanity has paid its debt through death you may turn again to God who formed you of the slime of the earth. When your soul passes out of your body may glorious companies of angels come to welcome you, the victorious host of worthy judges and representatives, the holy apostles meet you. The pure white shining company of holy confessors with the victories number of glorious martyrs meet you. The joyful company of holy virgins receive you. And the worthy fellowship of holy patriarchs open to you the place of rest and joy and deem you to be among them that they be among forever. May you never know that which is horrible in darkness, that gnashes in flaming fire. Mat they that punish in torment let you go and not grieve you. May they that follow Satan with all his servants in the coming against you be aghast at the presence of holy angels and flee into darkness of everlasting night, into the great tribulous sea of hell. Our Lord arises and his enemies who hate him are scattered about and flee, from his sight. They fail as the smoke fails and as the wax melts before fire, so parish sinners from the face of God as rightful men eat and rejoice in the sight of God. May all the contrary legions and ministers of Satan not dare to impede your journey. May Christ who died for you deliver you from torment. Christ, Gods son bring you to the merry joys of paradise and the true shepherd know you among his sheep. May he cleanse you from all your sins and put you on his right side in the lot of his chosen children that you may see your redeemer face to face; and there assisting to him, see with your eyes the blessed everlasting truth openly and be among the blessed company of the children of God rejoicing in the joy of the contemplations of God with out end. Amen.

Upvote 0