Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was a fool, long story, but got arrested Wednesday night. At least they were nice enough to just charge me with disorderly conduct (a misdemeanor) and my mom bonded me out with her signature yesterday. One night in the county jail is enough to convince me to behave myself permanently.

Go back to court mid March to face the music. What Im wondering is how do you go about explaining an open case to future employers? Im currently unemployed and looking for a job. I have an app sitting here that wants to know criminal history and Im clueless as to how I go about saying that I have a case pending but there has been no conviction? The case already shows up as "open" on the state system so they wouldnt have to look very hard to see I was hiding something. I dont want to, but am just clueless here.

Bad situation anyway you cut it but I made a stupid decision that ended up getting me into handcuffs.

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
After a search I realize that within this state it's illegal for an employer to ask about a case that hasnt been concluded or where an arrest hasn't resulted in a conviction. Sounds to me like I dont even have to put this incident down for now, even though Im 100% that it WILL result in conviction.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

From what I recall (I used to work at a pre-employment screening company back in the day), it mostly depends on the employer. Indeed you don't have to say anything about a case that doesn't result in a conviction, but if you're almost 100% sure it will result in one... It also depends on what the nature of the conviction will be; disorderly conduct's pretty low on the totem pole (most of our clients were just interested in felonies).
IMHO, you'd be best off explaining to the employer that you did something stupid, learned your lesson, and won't do it again. It's better if you air your own dirty laundry before a background check airs it for you.

Upvote 0

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, makes sense, because I know it would be pretty easy to find in a background check. I was shocked how fast CCAP (Wisconsin's system) got it up there. Im really lucky in this instance that it didnt result in a felony charge. That's what the DA wanted but the cop more or less refused. I could've been charged with attempted homicide...so that tells you WHY I was arrested. Id like to know how much is known to the employer during a background check. Are they able to read the details of the file? If so Im fairly certain the details of this case would freak out a potential employer, Ill be honest.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

I'm not sure about that part - I didn't do the actual background checking. As far as I do know, that might depend on how much detail is available in the CCAP file. AFAIK, it probably won't spell out everything that happened, but might just say "misdemeanor disorderly conduct," and the town it happened in. F'rinstance, if you'd been charged with shoplifting, it probably wouldn't distinguish whether you'd tried to leave with a stereo under your coat or if you'd simply lifted a pack of bubble gum.
My advice: be honest with your next potential employer that you have a disorderly conviction, but don't volunteer the details.

Upvote 0

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing so far. I feel like Im on hold until March 25 when I go back to court. After that my former employer might take me back, perhaps on a p/t basis. Ironically this is the same guy that this whole incident revolved around so he either is A) stupid or B) highly forgiving.

Upvote 0

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Easier said than done to sit here and wait to see what'll happen as far as sentencing. I finally called my State Public Defender, talked to his secretary who said he'll be in tomorrow. I'd like to have a clue what Im up against as far as a sentence. I detest the thought of more jail time, ANY jail time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, Im looking at one of two (or three) sentences. Best case scenario is I get 10 days jail time and walk away. BUT he thinks the DA will want both jail and probation. IF this is the case he's going to argue with giving me just probation, which isnt that exciting. It'd be one year supervision.

Upvote 0

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It will stay on my record for 7 years, which sucks more than just a little. As far as the sentence, in some ways doing my time and getting out of the system sounds appealing. This county jail is far from the dangerous, aweful place you picture as most city jails. I am sure Id come out relatively unscathed, and maybe a bit wiser.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MacCanann

Mar 5, 2009
✟8,077.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Got a job today, p/t and the pay is lousy but gets me out of the house.

Congratz, I dunno about over there in the States but job vacancies over here are few and far between. As for the lousy pay all I can say is to work joyfully and peacefully, knowing that the right thoughts and the right efforts will inevitably bring about the right results (hopefully!) HAHA!! :D

I go to court on the 25th and finalize the plea agreement, one year supervision.

Best of luck to you!

Upvote 0

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks ya'll. I have learned from this experience and seriously can see where even supervision can maybe (maybe) be a positive experience. At any rate, I intend to just cooperate and behave myself. Im extremely thankful to have a job, ANY job.

Upvote 0

feo

Angels Fall First
Feb 14, 2004
Arizona
✟12,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I was a fool, long story, but got arrested Wednesday night. At least they were nice enough to just charge me with disorderly conduct (a misdemeanor) and my mom bonded me out with her signature yesterday. One night in the county jail is enough to convince me to behave myself permanently.

Go back to court mid March to face the music. What Im wondering is how do you go about explaining an open case to future employers? Im currently unemployed and looking for a job. I have an app sitting here that wants to know criminal history and Im clueless as to how I go about saying that I have a case pending but there has been no conviction? The case already shows up as "open" on the state system so they wouldnt have to look very hard to see I was hiding something. I dont want to, but am just clueless here.

Bad situation anyway you cut it but I made a stupid decision that ended up getting me into handcuffs.

What did you do?

Upvote 0

born2run

May 12, 2004
Wisconsin
✟962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, you asked. :) Here is the story of my arrest.

My former boss owed me $20, an honest mistake on my part because I thought he'd overpaid me the last time and I gave him $20 back. I left a message on his phone and there was no response. I figured that he was just busy and that he'd eventually get back to me. Some part of me said just to let it go but $20 is fairly important when I have no income. So...I sent my dad after it, thinking he'd worked for him before and it wouldnt be a problem. How I was wrong. Backtrack a bit to say Id had a bad day anyway (this was Wednesday). I had collections agencies calling me, and everything just got really depressing. To solve this problem, which later turned out to be a big mistake, I grabbed what alcohol I had available to at least drown out the pain.
So, my dad comes home saying that former boss has another hired man, and that he'd talked to my former employer (the guy I worked for for 4 years and had made a habit of badmouthing me every chance he got since I left there). I was under the impression that the last boss and I had left on good terms but he proceeded to tell my dad how aweful I was, etc. etc.
This pushed me right over the edge. I doubt I wouldve did what I did had it not been for alcohol in my system, but at the time I was so angry I didnt care what happened. My mom and dad full well realized I was at the tipping point and didnt want me to leave, but I lied to get out of the house, saying I was going to my sis-in-laws house. I DID go there, but I didnt come home. I was fairly calculating by this point, but extremely, extremely angry. I bought a shot gun, which of course there is no hold on. Id think they may want to reevaluate those laws, because a long gun can do as much damage as the infamous handgun. Of course at that point I easily cleared all the FBI/ATF screenings and walked out with a shotgun and cartridges.
BUT...they did a pretty good job in dissambling the barrel of the gun. I put gas in my car, than sat there on the side of a dirt road, clueless as to how I could put this back together without risking killing myself in the process. I knew my brother was aware of my anger at this point but I didn't think my other brother was, who is by far more firearms savvy anyway. So, I went over there with the story that I had just bought a gun to play around with and needed help in assembling it.
He didnt buy it. He called my mom thinking I was suicidal which couldnt have been farther from the truth. She told him no, turned around, told my sis who wasted no time in calling the cops.
My brother meanwhile refused to cooperate with me but by that time it was too late. I wasnt even shocked to see a deputy standing in the doorway. Part of me knew it was coming. He of course considered taking me on a chapter 51 but after talking with his superiors figured out I hardly qualified for that. Instead he talked to the DA who insisted he at least book me for disorderly conduct. Its worthwhile to note that I had two PBT's ran on me that night, one when he arrested me, the other one at the jail. Both showed .00.
My mom claims I was a smartass even when I called her from jail, and I probably was. They refused to bail me out and I sat there overnight. Sitting in a 12x8 cell gave me plenty of time to cool off and realize what I had about did. Even though this guy has a lot of enemies and is generally disliked around here, it wasnt my duty to go take of him. Much less think of how it wouldve destroyed my life from there on out. I sat there, and came around, horrified at how I had lost control of myself.
If that doesnt shake a person, at least in my situation, being shackled and cuffed like a common criminal was enough to put the fear of God into me. My mom arrived at my bond hearing to see me in a orange jumpsuit complete with shackles and cuffs. I thought it'd about do her in. Instead I think she saw how compliant and totally beat I was and bonded me out with her signature.
Its tough for me to tell you this because I fear that everyone thinks Im a lowlife scum bag now. The long and then short of it is that night I felt extremely wronged and betrayed, and it didnt happen overnight. I was SO sick of the former boss lying about me every chance he got, and here I have to list him as a former employer. I felt like the chances of me getting hired around here were nill to none. Im still a little uncertain about that since Im sure they'll call him for references. What he has against me personally is beyond my comprehension, that is what still irritates me. I don't understand a person that feels compelled to downgrade a gal that just wanted him to leave her alone.
Still, to quote the Bible, "Vengence is mine, I will repay saith the Lord." I feel aweful about my behavior and Im lucky to get off with a disorderly conduct charge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0