✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Let me put it this way...

If one of the babushki-types in my parish, a parent, a clergyman, or some other person whom is older and wiser than me and knows me were to... how you say... point out a girl who I would get along with; than I would have no objection to meeting her. If it was something like "Hey, do you know so-and-so over here?" and they left it at that allowing pieces to fall into their place all by themselves, I would not mind.

But, if they were to say "Hey, I think that girl over there would make a good bride" or some crazy think like that; I will be blunt; it would scare the crap out of me. :)

Upvote 0

dandymandy

Sep 13, 2008
✟15,273.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Let me put it this way...

If one of the babushki-types in my parish, a parent, a clergyman, or some other person whom is older and wiser than me and knows me were to... how you say... point out a girl who I would get along with; than I would have no objection to meeting her. If it was something like "Hey, do you know so-and-so over here?" and they left it at that allowing pieces to fall into their place all by themselves, I would not mind.

But, if they were to say "Hey, I think that girl over there would make a good bride" or some crazy think like that; I will be blunt; it would scare the crap out of me. :)
It's about trusting in your parent's love and wisdom.

For me it was about a boy who had been pursuing me for four years whom I did respect and admire. Then my dad came around to me to say that his family approached him, Dad saying, "Well? I think he would be a good husband for you---so let's you and I talk this over."

God bless,

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know that arranged marriages are frowned upon in the western world. Most people even tremble when the concept is brought up. I heard a pastor recently speak on the subject (and I believe I agree with him). He said, because it's not our culture, teenagers, who have no idea about relationships (much less, life in general) have no idea the true meaning of love and are going out into the world ultimately blindfolded. They spend relentlessly on dating and getting into vulnerable situations that they not always know how to handle. Whereas their parents, who have been married for some time now and indeed know true love and the meaning behind it (unfortunately there are less and less parents these days that actually do though), know their son/daughter because they have seen he/she grow through their years and have much better judgment in who is and isn't mature enough for marriage. They also know the parents of the other son or daughter and to a degree how their family's structure and beliefs.
And I am not referring to forced marriages at a certain age, like in some countries. I am referring to when the kids are at an age when the parents agree they are ready to marry, and if the kids choose to do so.

It's a good idea in theory but it fails for many reasons. First of all, parents can never know which person their child will feel a "spark" with. In many marriages there was a spark, an indefinable thing that drew the people together. A click of personality, of spirit, that just happens. They also can not determine sexual chemistry, which to me is important.

It's true kids enter the world a bit blindfolded but I think people learn best through experience and not hearing it second hand. I have learned much more about dating several men than had I married the first one that came around.

Upvote 0

Periann

Nov 21, 2003
TX
✟11,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is a movie by the name Arranged which shows the story of 2 women-one an Orthodox Jew, another a Muslim and the process of going through an arranged marriage. It's funny and I think pretty accurate. There's also an MTV documentary True Life: I'm in an Arranged Marriage that shows the stories of 3 South Asian couples, none of them are Christian however. An arranged marriage done the right way and a forced marriage are 2 different things IMO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HoosierCanuck

Senior Contributor
Feb 4, 2004
midwest US
✟24,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I wouldn't want my parents picking someone out for me. lol They only lasted 9 years together because I came along.... They've both since remarried and divorced. Just don't think they have a good track record. ;9

(not that I've done any better myself...lol)

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Markus6

Veteran
Jul 19, 2006
Houston
✟22,034.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Imagine what a wonderful world we'd live in if everyone did that! :) :thumbsup:
Well I doubt it'd fix all the world's problems. Not all parents think arranging a marriage for their sons or daughters is the best thing for them. What makes you think God necessarily does? I think it's fair to say that the majority of Christians have not heard the voice of God telling them whom to marry.

Upvote 0

Windmill

Legend
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2004
New Zealand
Visit site
✟38,797.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
If some wish to have arranged marriages, then so be it. But for those that wish to pick their partners, then so be it. Its all very relative to the individual :)

I know that almost all guys would despise having me being picked out as their wife-to-be and they'd have plenty of good reasons too as well. I know I'd despise many guys being picked out as my husband to me, and I'd have good reasons too.

Upvote 0