Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
MATTHEW 13:52
KJ21
Then said He unto them, “Therefore every scribe who is instructed unto the Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a man that is a householder, who bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.”

I'm basically talking about anything that ain't part of the original rite like organ music and Komitas stuff that is more than a century old, but still somewhat new compared to the original liturgy, rite etc.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I personally prefer the unaccompanied chant as you'd hear in Jerusalem, but Armenian chant is so beautiful that a restrained use of the organ is certainly not going to harm it. Though I think I am in the minority in preferring Yekmalian to Komitas...

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟478,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I personally prefer the unaccompanied chant as you'd hear in Jerusalem, but Armenian chant is so beautiful that a restrained use of the organ is certainly not going to harm it. Though I think I am in the minority in preferring Yekmalian to Komitas...

I think most congregations prefer Yekmalian to Komitas; I slightly prefer Komitas. There are other settings of the Armenian liturgy, for example, a traditional but very simple setting by Edgar Manas.

• Informative
Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think most congregations prefer Yekmalian to Komitas; I slightly prefer Komitas. There are other settings of the Armenian liturgy, for example, a traditional but very simple setting by Edgar Manas.

I gotta admit never heard of Yekmalian until this thread. In being with a Armenian congregation almost a year, all the talk was on Komitas.

Upvote 0