Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Well, they are all valid. It's just that none of them are sound.

To establish soundness, you must establish the premises. So as someone noted above (@Nihilist Virus?), there are grounds to question the existence of truth. But even if you grant that, I can't grant that truth implies a god until the existence of gods is demonstrated.

A. If Truth exists, God doesn't.
B. Truth does.
C. God ain't.

Not very convincing, is it?

Right, even if we ignore fundamental limitations of language and logic, we're still left with the issue that logic/mathematics is just assumptions, definitions, and the conclusions that follow. You cannot determine facts about reality from assumptions and definitions. The existence of a deity (or anything at all) must be something discerned from physical evidence.

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟241,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

To establish soundness, you must establish the premises. So as someone noted above (@Nihilist Virus?), there are grounds to question the existence of truth. But even if you grant that, I can't grant that truth implies a god until the existence of gods is demonstrated.

The argument in the OP is a demonstration for the existence of God. The existence of God is the conclusion, not a premise. If you independently demonstrated the existence of God via some other argument then the premise that truth implies the existence of God would be inconsequential.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,135.00
Faith
Atheist
The argument in the OP is a demonstration for the existence of God. The existence of God is the conclusion, not a premise. If you independently demonstrated the existence of God via some other argument then the premise that truth implies the existence of God would be inconsequential.
That Truth implies God is, in fact, a premise.

As noted, I can make a valid argument that God doesn't exist by starting with the premise that "Truth -> No gods", as I did above. You're not going to buy that premise just I can't buy "Truth -> God".

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
:oldthumbsup:
Now you guys are starting to get it.

Upvote 0

Sapiens

Wisdom is of God
Aug 29, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟18,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, we all have to assume something to start off. That's undeniable. The problem, aside from assumptions ultimately being unjustified, is that there isn't always a "common assumption" that we all hold. If you and I disagree on a fundamental assumption, there's no evidence or argument to examine.

I wouldn't say they are unjustified. We have an immediate experience attesting us of these things. We would just have to find common assumptions and build from there.

There's no solution to hard solipsism, and further, simulation theory becomes more plausible every day. You might actually need to either demonstrate that artificial minds are different from ours, or else take that as one of your initial assumptions.

I'm not proposing either of these things, but rather stating that they are possibilities. They're unfalsifiable, but your assumption, just like any assumption, is unjustified.

If there is no reason to doubt these things are what they really appear to be, I don't see a problem assuming they are truthful. Possible doesn't mean probable or reasonable.

Why? How? Would the world be any different whatsoever if moral values did not exist objectively?

The world no, but our perception of them yes. And how we perceive them will affect how we will choose to act. If I learned that moral values are illusory, I would stop believing I need to conform to them. Why not rob, if I want to? Why restrain myself on anything?

In what sense do you conceive of truth? What should I take your words to be?

Upvote 0

Sapiens

Wisdom is of God
Aug 29, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟18,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, your OP runs on the assumption that there shouldn’t be any correspondence between our experience and reality, and I’m not seeing any reasoning for that besides your difficulty imagining how that could happen.
Well, I'm sorry you don't see it then.

Upvote 0

Sapiens

Wisdom is of God
Aug 29, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟18,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

A. If Truth exists, God doesn't.
B. Truth does.
C. God ain't.

Not very convincing, is it?

Well, how do you defend premise one? I did present a defense of my premises.

Truth is normative, there is a certain way we are to conceive of reality. Deviating from it puts us in the wrong. Where is this norm coming from? Is this sense of truth we have an illusion or reliable? If reliable, then why? I believe it is obvious to all that it is reliable and that only a supreme mind can explain it. A supreme mind that holds some basic truth while having created others along with the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sapiens

Wisdom is of God
Aug 29, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟18,619.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So as long as I define the requisite attributes, then exists?

It would give us a minimum requirement for the ultimate worldview. We'd eliminate others as we go along, and build a case for what the supreme being must be like.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟196,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, I'm sorry you don't see it then.
I’m afraid if you’re not willing to lay it out for me I’m left dismissing your justification for premise 1 as an argument from incredulity...

• Agree
Reactions: Tinker Grey
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟923,135.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, how do you defend premise one? I did present a defense of my premises.

Truth is normative, there is a certain way we are to conceive of reality. Deviating from it puts us in the wrong. Where is this norm coming from? Is this sense of truth we have an illusion or reliable? If reliable, then why? I believe it is obvious to all that it is reliable and that only a supreme mind can explain it. A supreme mind that holds some basic truth while having created others along with the world.
Why would I defend premise 1? I think it is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
God knowing it explains why it is true. His existence and his knowledge of the world explain why there can be a right correspondence with reality and why we ought to seek a right one instead of a mistsken one. Some truths have been eternally known by him and others he determined at creation.

A Creator and the created also explains the subjective/objective concept.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I believe it is obvious

That we are creative beings, able to pull things ex nihilo with our thoughts and words and make things work, obviously speaks of a Creator, since we are using the raw material that is already there. It's obvious that we didn't create the earth, but use it to create.

Which has nothing to do with anything.

It has something to do with everything.

Upvote 0