South Carolina
✟478.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I can't speak in toungs fluently! A couple of weeks ago, my pastor prayed for me to get baptized into the holy spirit with evidence of speaking in toungs, and I have had only a couple of syllables come to me, and I pronounce them aloud, but I still don't have fluency! I'm so on fire for God, and for the Holy Spirit, but it's just not comeing! It's kinda making me mad and sad at the same time! Is not Gods will for me to receive the Holy Spirit period?

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
No, I wouldn't think that. I will say that maybe it's not your time to get it right now, God's time not our own. I don't have it right now either, Just pray to God and about it give it to him after you pray for it, starting thanking him for, don't go back asking again it starts it all over again. Wait on God b/c it could be his desire to give it to you later on not now. God fulfilles the desires of our hearts but it's on his not our own. He needs to to prepare you for it, most people don't get it as soon as they ask for it becuase, preparing is imporant the reason why we do need it is to fight off the devil and also to pray from our pirit man. Tongues:Fight the devil,edivencce of the holy spirit,pray pure prayer( Becuase we can't put in our own wants and desires from the spirit), pray for other. I now it seem like why do I have to wait but trust me it will all be worth it.:) If you need an more advice you can always pm me okay:)I pay that God fulfills the desires of your heart in due time.

Upvote 0

Mea Culpa

Mar 18, 2004
✟35,541.00
Faith
Christian
ChaseinChrist said:
I can't speak in toungs fluently! A couple of weeks ago, my pastor prayed for me to get baptized into the holy spirit with evidence of speaking in toungs, and I have had only a couple of syllables come to me, and I pronounce them aloud, but I still don't have fluency! I'm so on fire for God, and for the Holy Spirit, but it's just not comeing! It's kinda making me mad and sad at the same time! Is not Gods will for me to receive the Holy Spirit period?

Don't don't recieve the Holy Spirit by speaking in tongues. Recieving the Spirit is one thing, speaking in tongues is another thing.

To be saved, one must be born again, one must know that Christ died for them on the cross, that they are sinners, and that He rose from the dead and that by grace through faith in Him we are made new.

John 3 and the passage with Niccodemus explains all of this.

Tongues may be an outworking of the Holy Spirit if it is His will, but it is not the same as being saved and having the Holy Spirit in you. Proof is not needed, for the Peace of God that passes all understanding is proof of His love for us, and His Spirit dwelling in us.

Upvote 0

flaglady

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2005
✟64,796.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
I waited for years to speak in tongues and I'm still struggling with it. As you said, a few words or phrases but nothing fluent. I still have my baptism in the Spirit, though. Of that I am sure and, as Mea Culpa says, two wholy different things.

Be patient - "be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10 - all things will be revealed to you in His good time.

Bless you for seeking after Him so earnestly - He will reward you for that.
cloud9.gif

Reactions: Glenda
Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
if it helps, think of fluency in speaking tongues as the difference between jogging and running.

You have spoken in tongues so you have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is always in control of the use of any of the spiritual gifts, so pray asking Him to teach you how to use the gifts He has given to you when you received the baptism, and to develop them for the glory of God.

As for developing fluency in speaking in tongues, ask Him to speak thru you when you are in private prayer to God, so that you can give God glory. It's not so much a matter of desiring to exercize this gift as it is a matter of wanting to be yielded enough that the Holy Spirit can work thru you.

The minute you "try" to speak in tongues or direct how it's comming out,it is you speaking and not the Holy Spirit. After you have prayed,simply respond to the Holy Spirit's urging by opening your mouth. that's all you have to do. if you find that you have a struggle with wanting to control how the tongues come out or how they sound, then put on a pair of headphones to block the sound until you get used to your tongue being under the Holy Spirit's control.

another mistake is to compare your fluency to that of someone else. don't do that! while many people can run, we all run differently and at different speeds. Running (like tongues) is a mechanism to get from one place to another. So tongues is a mechanism to get our praise and petitions to God.

Upvote 0

KingZzub

Blessed to Be A Blessing
Dec 23, 2005
Dagenham
Visit site
✟19,473.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Running... good analogy.

Just remember the way to become a good runner is to run.

The way to flow in tongues (and therefore move in all the gifts) is to pray in tongues, over and over and over and over.

Cheers,
Zzub

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.