Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Archbishop Emeritus Héctor Aguer of La Plata, Argentina recently wrote about cancelled clergy. His letter is especially important in light of recent news on Bp. Strickland. Rorate Caelihad the full translation, so I reproduce it here:

1. Priests cancelled. I am not dealing now with what is happening at the international level, but with a phenomenon that is becoming more and more frequent in Argentina, in various dioceses. “Cancelled” is equivalent to a displacement to non-existence when counting the official number of priests who serve as clergy in a particular (diocesan) church. They are deprived of the means to exercise the ministry and are disavowed before the faithful.

They are accused of being “traditionalists,” even though they do not move according to an ideology. Ideological, rather, is the principle of cancellation, which arises from an elementary and shameless progressivism. Unfortunately, the authors of this injustice are bishops. I have to think that they do not know what they are doing, the unjust harm they are causing — which does not justify them as innocent. The cancellers, they who fill their mouths talking about love, are dramatically responsible for such an attack against charity. The number of cancelled priests has grown lately, and this reality exhibits a mysterious side, because it is the mystery of the Church that is affected, the substance of charity that suffers an impairment.

The remedy begins to be found when the fact is acknowledged, and it slips by without the press taking note of it, not even to discredit the Church. With this brief mention of the problem I want to encourage, once again, a possible and necessary solution.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Archbishop Emeritus Héctor Aguer of La Plata, Argentina recently wrote about cancelled clergy. His letter is especially important in light of recent news on Bp. Strickland. Rorate Caelihad the full translation, so I reproduce it here:

1. Priests cancelled. I am not dealing now with what is happening at the international level, but with a phenomenon that is becoming more and more frequent in Argentina, in various dioceses. “Cancelled” is equivalent to a displacement to non-existence when counting the official number of priests who serve as clergy in a particular (diocesan) church. They are deprived of the means to exercise the ministry and are disavowed before the faithful.

They are accused of being “traditionalists,” even though they do not move according to an ideology. Ideological, rather, is the principle of cancellation, which arises from an elementary and shameless progressivism. Unfortunately, the authors of this injustice are bishops. I have to think that they do not know what they are doing, the unjust harm they are causing — which does not justify them as innocent. The cancellers, they who fill their mouths talking about love, are dramatically responsible for such an attack against charity. The number of cancelled priests has grown lately, and this reality exhibits a mysterious side, because it is the mystery of the Church that is affected, the substance of charity that suffers an impairment.

The remedy begins to be found when the fact is acknowledged, and it slips by without the press taking note of it, not even to discredit the Church. With this brief mention of the problem I want to encourage, once again, a possible and necessary solution.

Continued below.
He too can be cancelled.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0