Feb 7, 2004
Louisville
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
Hey, just wondering what you're studying, and what you plan on doing with your degree?

I'm studying missions and evangelism. God's really placed a burden for Muslim women on my heart, so currently my plan (and I think it's God's too) is to be a missionary in some restricted country somewhere.

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please, please, please, also get some training in a vocation. Missionaries need to be able to do a lot of different things in addition to evangelism.

A friend of mine is on a mission board, and she tells me that people just groan when they see applications from people who only have Bible degrees and have no work experience like construction, electrical work, food service management, farming etc. A degree in business and a degree in Bible or missions will make you much more valuable and better prepared for missions work.

Upvote 0

eutychus

the phlegmatic one
Feb 7, 2004
Louisville
Visit site
✟16,062.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Others
bliz said:
Please, please, please, also get some training in a vocation. Missionaries need to be able to do a lot of different things in addition to evangelism.

A friend of mine is on a mission board, and she tells me that people just groan when they see applications from people who only have Bible degrees and have no work experience like construction, electrical work, food service management, farming etc. A degree in business and a degree in Bible or missions will make you much more valuable and better prepared for missions work.

Yeah, that was the original plan. Actually, the original plan was to get a Chemistry degree and then do the Bible College thing. God's put that on hold for now, though, so I don't know what he has planned. I have a tendency to freak out about, "Cripes, I have no vocational education" sometimes, but I guess He has that planned for the future sometime! Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Studying.... PHYSICS!!! Yes physics. At a WONDERFUL Christian university. I honestly plan to have FUN in my field. Perhaps God will call me elsewhere later in my life, but even if He does, I think that such an intense scientific study has greatly improved my ability to think and to interact with the world.

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
bliz said:

I know that missionaries are supposed to help with certain projects like construction, but to be dissapointed at a future missionary for the lord for not having experiance is terrible. If i was on a board i would want someone who is dedicated enough to the bible to make it thier focus of study in college. Call me shortsighted, but i do believe the bible is one of the keys to missions. I do believe there is a saying in the bible that goes along the lines of focus on the things of God and everything else will fall into place.

Upvote 0