Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures tell us, "By this we can be sure that we have come to know Him: if we keep His commandments. If anyone says, "I know Him," but does not keep His commandments, he is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone keeps His word, the love of God has been truly perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him: Whoever claims to abide in Him must walk as Jesus walked" (1 John 2:3-5). But what does it mean to walk as Jesus walked? Does this mean we must totally forsake our lives here on this world? Does it mean that we are to dedicate each day to serve the kingdom of heaven allowing the Father to do His will with us? I believe the scriptures tell us YES to these questions and more!

However, there are countless church goers who religiously claim to be Christians and live no differently than those who don't make this claim. The only difference between the two is that those claiming to be Christians may go to a local church once a week, read the bible once in a while, and ask God for things. Yet, this is not how Jesus lived His life. The Apostle John wrote, "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not from the Father but from the world. The world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God remains forever" (1 John 2:15-17).

If your life is not fully surrendered to live for the Lord and serve His kingdom you should deeply consider who you are serving. We cannot serve two masters. “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money" (Matthew 6:24). In this case money represents all this world has to offer through wealth and fame. The spirit of this world, Satan and all his followers, knows this and is on the prowl to dominate the lives of everyone he can. True Christians must be on guard for the subtle deceptive ways of the adversary or they may find themselves caught up in living for the things of this world. We must learn to walk as Jesus walked. Are you living for the kingdom of heaven or are you driven by the spirit of this world?

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I agree but many are scared off at the prospect. They fear they may have to give everything up, yet this is not true. It is not much different than picking a team or a political party to cheer for or side with, except the division is not one of rivalry or strife but siding with the Kingdom rather than the world of man. In doing so change comes automatically understanding the world is backwards, and we are easily able to live in the world but not be a willing part of it's self serving ways.

The parable of the young man who was told to give away everything wasn't speaking of giving away material things but in finding he already was a part of everything in creation and what he thought he 'owned' was nothing compared to it all. But as long as he focused on 'things' he would never be part of the all.
Mark 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

Upvote 0

BrotherD

Thus Saith The Lord
Mar 10, 2019
Tennessee
✟37,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Its very hard to find people with a passion to serve the Lord with every ounce of strength they have. I have been told by professing Christians that I am a boring Christian. I guess serving the Lord the way he wants to and not by the tradition of men is boring.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The scriptures tell us, "By this we can be sure that we have come to know Him: if we keep His commandments. If anyone says, "I know Him," but does not keep His commandments, he is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone keeps His word, the love of God has been truly perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him: Whoever claims to abide in Him must walk as Jesus walked" (1 John 2:3-5). But what does it mean to walk as Jesus walked? Does this mean we must totally forsake our lives here on this world? Does it mean that we are to dedicate each day to serve the kingdom of heaven allowing the Father to do His will with us? I believe the scriptures tell us YES to these questions and more!

However, there are countless church goers who religiously claim to be Christians and live no differently than those who don't make this claim. The only difference between the two is that those claiming to be Christians may go to a local church once a week, read the bible once in a while, and ask God for things. Yet, this is not how Jesus lived His life. The Apostle John wrote, "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh, the desires of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not from the Father but from the world. The world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God remains forever" (1 John 2:15-17).

If your life is not fully surrendered to live for the Lord and serve His kingdom you should deeply consider who you are serving. We cannot serve two masters. “No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money" (Matthew 6:24). In this case money represents all this world has to offer through wealth and fame. The spirit of this world, Satan and all his followers, knows this and is on the prowl to dominate the lives of everyone he can. True Christians must be on guard for the subtle deceptive ways of the adversary or they may find themselves caught up in living for the things of this world. We must learn to walk as Jesus walked. Are you living for the kingdom of heaven or are you driven by the spirit of this world?
Let me get this straight. To walk as Jesus walked, does it mean that we all have to be itinerant preachers, have no homes of our own, have only 12 disciples, and live in Israel and go up to Jerusalem every year for the Passover?

• Useful
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Let me get this straight. To walk as Jesus walked, does it mean that we all have to be itinerant preachers, have no homes of our own, have only 12 disciples, and live in Israel and go up to Jerusalem every year for the Passover?
Here is how Jesus put it.
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its very hard to find people with a passion to serve the Lord with every ounce of strength they have. I have been told by professing Christians that I am a boring Christian. I guess serving the Lord the way he wants to and not by the tradition of men is boring.
God's ways are not man's ways. God's ways cannot be understood through emotion or intellect. On the contrary, living with all you have from God can only be understood by those who live through a spiritual relationship with our God. The things we consider in life are usually the things we do not understand.

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, but I can understand why one might think that is what it means. Just starting with the sermon on the mount might lend more information on how Jesus said we must walk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
.. emptying the mega-churches out ... makes more room for those they kick out for being ‘too’ spiritual ... jus sayin'
There are those who are "too spiritual" such as the Pharisees & Sadducees and those who can't or won't take up their crosses to follow Him. Jesus is looking for followers - a message that is lost upon many congregations today. Many followed Jesus at the outset of his ministry but as time went on, his message of self-denial and taking up the cross was too much for them to accept so many disciples chose to no longer follow Jesus. That is totally the opposite message preached in many mega-churches today where accommodation is emphasized to the neglect of teaching the need to live sanctified & sacrificial lives.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are those who are "too spiritual" such as the Pharisees & Sadducees and those who can't or won't take up their crosses to follow Him. Jesus is looking for followers - a message that is lost upon many congregations today. Many followed Jesus at the outset of his ministry but as time went on, his message of self-denial and taking up the cross was too much for them to accept so many disciples chose to no longer follow Jesus. That is totally the opposite message preached in many mega-churches today where accommodation is emphasized to the neglect of teaching the need to live sanctified & sacrificial lives.
Oh I wasn’t referring to the preaching. It’s more the sheep not giving way.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Personally i wouldn't follow a rich preacher

Matthew 23:10 And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11 But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it wise to follow teachers who get rich selling their books? Can they see in all that darkness? Am i wrong? If so i wouldnt mind and i welcome correction.

Matthew 6:19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy,[c] your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy,[d] your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

Upvote 0

HenSoma-OneBody

Mar 4, 2019
Lawrenceville
✟122,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it wise to follow teachers who get rich selling their books? Can they see in all that darkness? Am i wrong? If so i wouldnt mind and i welcome correction.

Matthew 6:19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy,[c] your whole body will be full of light. 23 But if your eyes are unhealthy,[d] your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!

I believe if the Lord leads one to write down messages to help others through encouragement or spiritual growth is a great blessing. But, not intended to make money from others for these efforts. If it were really a ministry from God then the blessing is in sharing with others, not looking to take from others.

If there is a need to make money then work for your bread, but don't use God as a means of your income. He has already promised to care for all of our needs so long as we are seeking first the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, if someone finds that their needs are not being met from above and they have to solicit provisions from others they I would question that persons intent. Who are they seeking to serve? Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Getting rich selling books may be a side effect of carrying God’s work of evangelism. One is hopefully from God and then the other is left with the temptation of what to do with the side effects. From there corruption could potentially ensue.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Getting rich selling books may be a side effect of carrying God’s work of evangelism. One is hopefully from God and then the other is left with the temptation of what to do with the side effects. From there corruption could potentially ensue.
An evangelist sells the gospel message and gets rich doing so? Doesnt that sound wrong?

Upvote 0