Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
More and more I see people talking about this or that is Satanic. This person has a demonic spirit they need to be freed from, the devil this or that. Do you know that by falsely calling out for the devil, you would bring his presence around you and your loved ones?

What is the first thing you do when somebody calls your name? You look right at them and even come over to them and see what they want. If you are afraid of the devil, keep him out of your mouth and keep the good Lord in your area by praying singing and reading scripture.

I;m sure some of that stuff is real but don't bring unnecessary grief and misery on yourself by calling on their name for your ow sake!

I've been running in to this lately and my prayer is that more people can understand that the darkside can never win. You have all power in the name of Jesus Christ and no dark think has any power over you. Please let that go and be secure in the Lord your God who can and will take care of you. If you need meds take them and I'm not being funny. Your mind can play tricks on you. Also if you are not sleeping, see a doctor. Prayer, meditation, proper nutrition, sleep and some kind of excersize can free you from much of your paranioa and a Dr you trust with medication and a Pastor and therapist to talk to. You can be rid of these feelings for life.

I just had that on my heart and I wanted to put it out there, nothing can harm you or take you. God is in control. Somebody needed to read this. God is in control ALWAYS until the last day! and nothing in the unseen world can hurt you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Wait a minnit, carefully read what I wrote now.....I did say medication is important. However I also said that God is in control and you have all power in the name of Jesus Christ and that no dark power has power over you. Jesus Christ is master of all and you may cast out demons in his name. I'm saying that most of the time we bring this stuff around us by breathing life into it in the first place.

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Satan goes about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may destroy.

I think it is dangerous to say that it is mental illness. It might not be mental illness, and then you take away a person's power to fight the devil.
Wait a minnit, carefully read what I wrote now.....I did say medication is important. However I also said that God is in control and you have all power in the name of Jesus Christ and that no dark power has power over you. Jesus Christ is master of all and you may cast out demons in his name. I'm saying that most of the time we bring this stuff around us by breathing life into it in the first place.
I think it is important to call a spade a spade. Just as you said, RT, we have Jesus, so Satan has no power over us. So if we warn of Satan's presence because we have the divine Holy Spirit guiding us to say it out loud, how can we be in danger?

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it's important to be very clear that Satan cannot possess a believer....he can only oppress one.

I don't fear speaking about evil, but the OP is correct that you call attention to yourself when you "call him out" for sure. Christ Jesus is stronger, but if you aren't ready for battle, then do leave it alone.

I guess when it comes to mental unwellness, even that which is not directly caused by "oppression" ... does at it's roots go back to sin...in the garden... because if that had not occurred, we would all be quite well mentally and physically, right?

I agree about good sleep... they've discovered more recent than not that a full night's sleep is necessary for all the body to function... and even those in high school should have 9 or 10 hours I think is recommended. They used to also say as we age you don't need as much and they told us not to worry about it...but studies have shown you still need 7-9 hours a night. (And I need an afternoon nap!)

No, this isn't unorthodox...it's Christian (though the subject line could have been tweaked ;) )...

Upvote 0

1Prophetess

Amazing Grace, How Sweet You Are Lord Jesus!
Jan 17, 2010
California USA
✟17,661.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think it is important to call a spade a spade. Just as you said, RT, we have Jesus, so Satan has no power over us. So if we warn of Satan's presence because we have the divine Holy Spirit guiding us to say it out loud, how can we be in danger?

Yep, you said it better than I did.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2012
✟7,636.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
More and more I see people talking about this or that is Satanic. This person has a demonic spirit they need to be freed from, the devil this or that. Do you know that by falsely calling out for the devil, you would bring his presence around you and your loved ones?

What is the first thing you do when somebody calls your name? You look right at them and even come over to them and see what they want. If you are afraid of the devil, keep him out of your mouth and keep the good Lord in your area by praying singing and reading scripture.

I;m sure some of that stuff is real but don't bring unnecessary grief and misery on yourself by calling on their name for your ow sake!

I've been running in to this lately and my prayer is that more people can understand that the darkside can never win. You have all power in the name of Jesus Christ and no dark think has any power over you. Please let that go and be secure in the Lord your God who can and will take care of you. If you need meds take them and I'm not being funny. Your mind can play tricks on you. Also if you are not sleeping, see a doctor. Prayer, meditation, proper nutrition, sleep and some kind of excersize can free you from much of your paranioa and a Dr you trust with medication and a Pastor and therapist to talk to. You can be rid of these feelings for life.

I just had that on my heart and I wanted to put it out there, nothing can harm you or take you. God is in control. Somebody needed to read this. God is in control ALWAYS until the last day! and nothing in the unseen world can hurt you.

I think we run the risk of taking either side of this debate to extremes. A pew forum survey found that an overwhelming large number of people who identified themselves as Christians said they did not believe the devil was even a real entity, but rather was some sort of 'symbol' for evil. I would argue that if one belives this, then that individual is NOT Christian.

I think one of the real problems we have in the west is that the Church has been too influenced by the new age movement and the 'positive feelings' kind of 'spirituality.' We begin to pick and choose at our religious buffet tables; and when this happens we are not following Christ, or true faith in its Orthodoxy; but something altogether of our own making.

I too think that many of these supposed possessions and 'demonic attacks' are indeed psychological in nature; and actually by having religious leaders either infer or outright claim that a person is under demonic attack that this may lead to even deeper mental illness; creating a kind of religious delusion and hypersensitivity. The person BELIEVES they are being influenced by the demonic.

But at the same time; it is unwise I think to downplay the work of the Enemy in creation. In a recent homily, Pope Benedict the 16th prayed against "the spirit of atheism that is sweeping across the world." This 'spirit of atheism' is very real and I have no doubt that this is the work of the Enemy. He is present and at work in this world.

I echo Prophetess in saying "Satan goes about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour."

I would also argue that "nothing can harm you or take you. God is in control. Somebody needed to read this. God is in control ALWAYS until the last day! and nothing in the unseen world can hurt you." this line of thinking is akin to spiritual arrogance. I would counter and say that when we think we are the most 'spiritually sound' we are actually the most VULNERABLE.

Satan would use the same military tactics of an ambush on the believer. He will wait until you have a false sense of security to make his move, and he will catch you anawares.

"But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into."

Over and over again in the Gospels, Jesus warns the disciples to keep WATCH. Watch therefore and pray. That means we should always be on our guard, because the enemy will come, and he will attack. It is likely that it will not be in the form of some dramatic possession, but in the form of a subtle, low, growl. He will attack you where you are spiritually weak, in the form of your temptations and passions. You will suddenly have new 'opportunities' to go against God. This is I feel, primarily how he works. And we would do well to guard against that.

Just by downplaying his influence, we run the risk of playing into his hands.

Reactions: 1Prophetess
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I agree with you contemplative christian. One should not be over confident but confident still if you have a relationship with Christ. Temptation is where the dark forces will strike like for me, I'm an addict so I know that those forces will be waiting for me in a bar or a strip club especially or any place of self indulgence like that. I guess I just think a lot of us have been fooled to look for him attacking when he is already right next to us ina toxic best friend is all.

Upvote 0

sniperelite7

Jun 13, 2005
✟15,740.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Drop the "they aren't true christian" statements. The last couple times that phrase took an official form in church history was when it behaved the most bloodiest towards its fellow Christians. I would argue that arrogance is the work of the devil, but would take a more reasonable tone and say that satan doesn't need to do much since we ourselves do most of the work for him.

Thinking about the way christians tend to act, at least in the US today. I think that the spirit of atheism is a rebellion against the way the church is today and has been for the past couple centuries. I like to think that the dynamic of the early church would be better suited to the challenges of today, rather than the legalistic strictures of denominations with its constant blithering about on social issues, and the always consistent reality-defying attacks on science.

If Satan is using real military tactics then I think it would be beneath him to use something as mundane as an "ambush".

C'mon, we are talking about the master schemer here, who God apparently allows to run rampant in this world for a God-only-knows what reason. Since apparently God is in complete control.

So lets give the devil more credit, if he is using military tactics, it would be far more likely that he has met Bonaparte and would favor tactics from that military genius. Something along the lines of;

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake" - N. Bonaparte.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Feb 23, 2012
✟7,636.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
I agree with you contemplative christian. One should not be over confident but confident still if you have a relationship with Christ. Temptation is where the dark forces will strike like for me, I'm an addict so I know that those forces will be waiting for me in a bar or a strip club especially or any place of self indulgence like that. I guess I just think a lot of us have been fooled to look for him attacking when he is already right next to us ina toxic best friend is all.

I can relate to all of that. I've been there. But this is a good thing; make no mistake, because the darker one's walk has been, how much more the light of Grace shines through that, and frees us from this darkness. I am sure you have a powerful story to tell. And yes, that is precisely how I feel he works. It's subtle.

But you are also aware of these things. That is what I was talking about in being watchful. When we know where we are weak, we begin to know how to deal with it, making us spiritually stronger and ever more vigilant.

"Drop the "they aren't true christian" statements. The last couple times that phrase took an official form in church history was when it behaved the most bloodiest towards its fellow Christians."

I would argue that what you are referring to was underneath its doctrinal guises more about temporal, worldly power, and holding on to that power more than it was about spiritual matters. One does not need to and should never use violence over doctrinal matters...that is the height of stupidity, and against all things truly Christian. No; when I look at differences over doctrinal matters, I look at how the church fought against the gnostics, for example. Irenaeus didn't persecute anyone. He wrote and spoke the Truth. The question simply must be asked: how is one a true Christian if they do not believe what the Word and Sacred Tradition teaches? How is one a true Christian if they pick and choose what they believe? Well, I believe in God and Jesus, but I don't believe in the devil or hell. I would concede that having some form of Truth is better than none at all; but how in the strictest sense is this truly Christian?

"think that the spirit of atheism is a rebellion against the way the church is today and has been for the past couple centuries. I like to think that the dynamic of the early church would be better suited to the challenges of today, rather than the legalistic strictures of denominations with its constant blithering about on social issues, and the always consistent reality-defying attacks on science."

I totally agree with this. But on your last point I would argue that it is more the reality defying attacks of things like the New Atheism atheism using science as a weapon against the church. I don't think most Christians are opposed to science at all.

I largely agree with the rest of your post, but draw my 'strategies' of the enemy from Lewis' Screwtape Letters. He uses such 'tactics' on us individually, not collectively. I'd take Bonaparte as the more collective approach.

Upvote 0

sniperelite7

Jun 13, 2005
✟15,740.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Mainly I was asking you to exercise caution when throwing around such a braod brush accusation.

While eschatology isn't my thing, I know of other Christians who have put forth an effective argument that the devil has no influence in our lives and has already been destroyed/imprisoned. In that case, calling them non-christian would be counter productive, as it does not refute their main points.

While I don't want to turn this into an evolution/creation, science/religion argument. I agree that some atheists use science to attack Christians, but lets not forget that Christians reject science because they think it diminishes the glory of God. Contention over certain issues like evolution has harmed the broad face of Christianity in the minds of the public; through no fault of the atheist. Fundamentalists attempts to shove creationism into a science class has hurt the witness of Christ more than any grand scheme of the devil could.

While I do not rule out that satan can indeed attack us. It really does not matter to me. Allow me to explain. Bad things happen, randomly to both good and bad people. When we react to these events, we make choices. We are responsible for those choices. Doesn't matter if satan exists, does not exists/is imprisoned. Its up to us to make the right choices and bear the consequences of those actions. Regardless of the present status of ol lucifer.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mainly I was asking you to exercise caution when throwing around such a braod brush accusation.
While eschatology isn't my thing, I know of other Christians who have put forth an effective argument that the devil has no influence in our lives and has already been destroyed/imprisoned. In that case, calling them non-christian would be counter productive, as it does not refute their main points.

They're called amillenialists and they believe that we're living in the Millenial Kingdom right now. Personally, I think this interpretation is false. Satan is still active in the world.

While I don't want to turn this into an evolution/creation, science/religion argument. I agree that some atheists use science to attack Christians, but lets not forget that Christians reject science because they think it diminishes the glory of God. Contention over certain issues like evolution has harmed the broad face of Christianity in the minds of the public; through no fault of the atheist. Fundamentalists attempts to shove creationism into a science class has hurt the witness of Christ more than any grand scheme of the devil could.

Some Christians, like myself, who used to believe in descent from a common ancestor, find that the theory is based on flimsy, circumstantial evidence. That doesn't make me anti-science. I am pro science, but anti-metaphysics hiding behind the apron of science. In any case, to atheists, evolution is their creation story, and the theory itself creates atheists. You know a tree by its fruits.

While I do not rule out that satan can indeed attack us. It really does not matter to me. Allow me to explain. Bad things happen, randomly to both good and bad people. When we react to these events, we make choices. We are responsible for those choices. Doesn't matter if satan exists, does not exists/is imprisoned. Its up to us to make the right choices and bear the consequences of those actions. Regardless of the present status of ol lucifer.

The more ignorant you are of Satans methods, the more bad choices you will make. I agree everyone is responsible for their own choices, but you can be more or less equipped to make those choices. Scripture disagrees with you on every point here; we are to put on the whole armor of God and take our stand against Satan. Acting as if he doesn't exist is simply being ignorant of his influence in your life. We don't close our eyes to our enemy; we watch every move he is making and stand against it in Christ. Also, there is no such thing as random or coincidence. God is sovereign over His creation.

Upvote 0

Memukan

Sep 19, 2011
Tampa, Florida
✟15,300.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, there is an adversary known as satan, but if you study the Scriptures you will also see references to the flesh in the same statements regarding the devil.You will find those in the gospels. Paul talks about the works of the flesh are; drunkeness, stealing, fornication, murder just to name a few. I do not read the works of satan are; in that Gal. passage. We do know satan is a liar and has been so from the beginning. satan can not attack you if he is attacking me, besides if YAH is in Complete Control satan is nothing but a tool used by YAH to bring you closer to the FATHER.

Peace,

Memukan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there is an adversary known as satan, but if you study the Scriptures you will also see references to the flesh in the same statements regarding the devil.You will find those in the gospels. Paul talks about the works of the flesh are; drunkeness, stealing, fornication, murder just to name a few. I do not read the works of satan are; in that Gal. passage. We do know satan is a liar and has been so from the beginning. satan can not attack you if he is attacking me, besides if YAH is in Complete Control satan is nothing but a tool used by YAH to bring you closer to the FATHER.

Peace,

Memukan

1 Peter 5:8

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:Scripture tells us many places to be on guard against the attacks of the enemy. We are in a spiritual warfare and God wants us fighting on the front lines. You're right, the devil can only be in one place at one time; but it's not just Satan we're fighting against, but his entire kingdom of darkness.

Yes, God is in control, and he allows Satan to come through the doors we open to him. Those doors include the works of the flesh you mentioned from Galatians. This means that we have to exercise discernment in all things. We must always keep our eyes on Christ and take our stand under His mighty power, guarding our hearts with His righteousness.

Upvote 0

Memukan

Sep 19, 2011
Tampa, Florida
✟15,300.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:Scripture tells us many places to be on guard against the attacks of the enemy. We are in a spiritual warfare and God wants us fighting on the front lines. You're right, the devil can only be in one place at one time; but it's not just Satan we're fighting against, but his entire kingdom of darkness.

Yes, God is in control, and he allows Satan to come through the doors we open to him. Those doors include the works of the flesh you mentioned from Galatians. This means that we have to exercise discernment in all things. We must always keep our eyes on Christ and take our stand under His mighty power, guarding our hearts with His righteousness.

Did I say something wrong ? So why do you want to open doors to satan ? Did Job open doors to satan ? If you do a word study on that scripture: satan goes around like a roaring lion, you will see the lion has no teeth, it is like his roar is mightier than his bit. He is an old warn out lion with a big mouth.

Memukan

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did I say something wrong ? So why do you want to open doors to satan ? Did Job open doors to satan ? If you do a word study on that scripture: satan goes around like a roaring lion, you will see the lion has no teeth, it is like his roar is mightier than his bit. He is an old warn out lion with a big mouth.

Memukan

You forgot the rest of it:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour

Our enemy isn't powerless, as you have implied. Obviously, if he can devour Christians, he is to be taken seriously. We are warned many times to be on our guard, and give no place to the enemy:

Ephesians 4:27

and do not give the devil a foothold

We are in a spiritual war, and it isn't something to be taken lightly. Yes, Satan is Gods Satan, and God allows him to operate against disobedience. We need to put on the whole armor of God and take our stand.

Upvote 0

Memukan

Sep 19, 2011
Tampa, Florida
✟15,300.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You forgot the rest of it:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour

Our enemy isn't powerless, as you have implied. Obviously, if he can devour Christians, he is to be taken seriously. We are warned many times to be on our guard, and give no place to the enemy:

Ephesians 4:27

and do not give the devil a foothold

We are in a spiritual war, and it isn't something to be taken lightly. Yes, Satan is Gods Satan, and God allows him to operate against disobedience. We need to put on the whole armor of God and take our stand.

The enemy has power only over those who give him power or as Paul states in Eph. 4:27....do not "give" the devil a " foothold ". The weapons of our warfare are not carnal, meaning they are divine in Nature..... YAH is our protection,YAH fights our battles, HE is our front guard as well as the rear guard. Those who are for us are greater than our enemy. satan is the god of this world to who ? The unbeliever. The HOLY SPIRIT tells me to STAND my ground, I will not run, I will not hide. Like I said he is a toothless lion, do a study and you will see the truth !

Memukan

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The enemy has power only over those who give him power or as Paul states in Eph. 4:27....do not "give" the devil a " foothold ". The weapons of our warfare are not carnal, meaning they are divine in Nature..... YAH is our protection,YAH fights our battles, HE is our front guard as well as the rear guard. Those who are for us are greater than our enemy. satan is the god of this world to who ? The unbeliever. The HOLY SPIRIT tells me to STAND my ground, I will not run, I will not hide. Like I said he is a toothless lion, do a study and you will see the truth !

Memukan

I agree with what you've said, and I think you misunderstood what I was talking about; Opening doors to Satan is exactly what I meant by giving power to the enemy. When you do things in opposition to God, you are giving the enemy access to your life. That is like opening a door for Satan to step through. You also brought up Job, and while it is true that God could allow Satan to put you through a trial, in general it is our sins which give Satan a place.

Your characterization of Satan as a toothless lion is inaccurate. He "devours" Christians according to 1 Peter 5:8; that means there is nothing lacking in his bite. What is lacking is his power over those who do the will of God. Satan cannot devour a faithful Christian, one who takes His stand under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. If you step out from under that, though, you will find that Satan still has teeth.

Upvote 0