NYC
✟15,161.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Dont you believe Christianity is right? Why should you argue agianst that? Im not attacking you, Im simply asking..
Just because he is Christian, that does not mean that he is bound to the Christian box (as I like to call it). Maybe he has gotten out of the box and seen the other boxes. (Which is weird, usually, you become a atheist when you go out the box) Maybe he is a Christian because of tradition or because he was grown in it and never changed it. I don't know. But you should try that sometime. Oh and FYI, Christianity is one of the most messed up religions there is. You wanna know why? You only have to do one thing, read the Bible. Both old and new testaments. And if you have any humanity in you, you'll become an atheist.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Dont you believe Christianity is right? Why should you argue agianst that? Im not attacking you, Im simply asking..
Some people recognize a poor argument even if it´s brought up in favour of something they believe in. An ability that I personally appreciate highly.

Upvote 0

JGL53

Senior Veteran
Dec 25, 2005
Mississippi
✟14,276.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
people are going to rob stores, mug other people

men are going to rape women... its going to happen so we should legalize it right?

or do we prosecute the offenders?

why cant we prosecute abortion offenders if its made illegal ?

Your attempted analogies are fatally flawed. No country is ever going to legalize murder, rape, robbery or mugging. I certainly would not support making such legal, and neither woulde you, and something like 99 plus per cent of people will always just reject such out of hand. These are non-controversial issues. They will not be coming up for a vote. Problem solved.

OTOH, abortion continues apace, regardless of who BELIEVES it is murder. Eighty per cent of Americans, in poll after poll for 35 years now, think abortion should be legal in some cases, at least for rape and incest.

This eighty per cent of the people are the folks who you need to persuade to see abortion as murder. I don't think you can.

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not arguing against that; I'm arguing that it's not a given to everyone that it's right. Not everyone's convinced of that, so you really can't claim that it is and expect it to be considered a self-evident truth.

Upvote 0
C

chunkylee

legalize murder
Interesting - this is an oxymoron, or a paradox, or something. Since murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a human being by another human being, attempting to legalize an action deemed 'murder' would make that action not 'murder' due to the fact that it would now be legal, making it the lawful killing of a human being by another human being. Thus, it is logically/semantically impossible to legalize murder!

:)

Upvote 0

reverend B

Senior Veteran
Feb 23, 2004
North Carolina
✟16,408.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Others
this is such an emotionally charged topic, and it starts out that way by how we name the opposing teams. pro-life and pro-choice. these two things are not opposites. the opposite of pro-life is pro-death (or anti-life), so the pro-lifers have cast themselves in an obvious position of "goodness", as no one will assert themselves to be pro-death. on the other hand, the opposite of pro-choice is pro-decree (or anti-choice). most of us do not like to be dictated to and prefer to have choices in our lives, so the pro-choice activists have cast themselves as the side of freedom. both sides have cloaked themselves in emotionally beneficial monickers that attempt to sway opinion.
so, my opinion? God is pro-choice, as we saw in the Garden. the rules were clear, but they were free to break them. we always have choice, which is what gives our decisions value. God wants us to have tough choices to make. those choices define us. our government has been set up to allow for the greatest amount of choice possible. it holds freedom up as the greatest gift to be protected and cherished. or faith does not hold this type of freedom in quite as high regard, which is why our faith can not determine policy.

Upvote 0

HumanisticJones

May 2, 2007
✟15,555.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
this is such an emotionally charged topic, and it starts out that way by how we name the opposing teams. pro-life and pro-choice. these two things are not opposites. the opposite of pro-life is pro-death (or anti-life), so the pro-lifers have cast themselves in an obvious position of "goodness", as no one will assert themselves to be pro-death. on the other hand, the opposite of pro-choice is pro-decree (or anti-choice). most of us do not like to be dictated to and prefer to have choices in our lives, so the pro-choice activists have cast themselves as the side of freedom. both sides have cloaked themselves in emotionally beneficial monickers that attempt to sway opinion.
so, my opinion? God is pro-choice, as we saw in the Garden. the rules were clear, but they were free to break them. we always have choice, which is what gives our decisions value. God wants us to have tough choices to make. those choices define us. our government has been set up to allow for the greatest amount of choice possible. it holds freedom up as the greatest gift to be protected and cherished. or faith does not hold this type of freedom in quite as high regard, which is why our faith can not determine policy.
I like you and your wonderful wonderful logic on that. You seem you'd be a supporter of the idea that "If Christians don't want their daughters having abortions, they should teach them not to have them instead of making laws about it."

Upvote 0

KomissarSteve

Basileus
Feb 1, 2007
✟25,945.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I like you and your wonderful wonderful logic on that. You seem you'd be a supporter of the idea that "If Christians don't want their daughters having abortions, they should teach them not to have them instead of making laws about it."
I know; social conservatives must really have very little faith in their own abilities to parent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Velo Princesse

The Glue That Holds It All Together
Jan 12, 2005
✟17,079.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I know; social conservatives must really have very little faith in their own abilities to parent.

IMHO, this sentiment can be stretched to TV, video games, those dolls with the big heads who dress like hookers, etc. The reason that I am not raising cane about everything I see that I don't want my kids to do/see/play with is because I'm too busy TEACHING them how to be good people. I tend to wonder what is happening to the children of people who find the time to protest violence on TV.

In this case, it seems, that people are so worried about falling short that they want the government to deal with it for them. "I can't be sure my daughter [my son, my husband, or I] will do the right thing, so I need the government to make this thing illegal." The USA has become so government dependent and I find it really very troublesome.

Upvote 0