Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I like Happy Christmas, I'm not offended by Happy Hanukkah (or the like), but I offended by Happy Holidays if I am in the UK (for example). If someone wants to greet me with their cultural greeting then that's fine. If someone wishes to bring down tradition just for giggles I don't agree with that. It isn't intolerant to wish someone a Merry Christmas in a traditionally Christian country. If someone is insulted by that then they are an idiot.

I don't stop using the word Halloween because I'm not pagan.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I admit that it bothers me to an extent. Here's why:

1) It's always said before Christmas. I'm a bit hung up on accuracy. If it isn't Christmas or the twelve days of Christmas to Epiphany, then it ain't actually the Feast of the Nativity yet. Some of us actually fast before then and aren't supposed to make merry. I never say anything though, because it would just make me look petty.

2) It's always said in shops/restaurants by people wanting to make a point of some sort. I never get the sincere vibe anymore when I hear it. It's like it is a hostile challenge. I usually give a wan smile and respond, 'Yeah, you too.'

3) I wonder what Merry Christmas people would do when confronted with a proper liturgical answer/response scenario, as is found in an Orthodox parish? I much prefer this at church, where I know people are sincere (outside of family gatherings).

Person one: Christ is born!
Person two: Glorify Him!

ETA: It has occurred to me that I just have some lingering issues here. This is one of the things that bothered me when I was in my deist phase a few years back- and it still bothers me. I dislike forced cultural holidays and having to celebrate them in ways I don't want to celebrate just to placate my extended family, some of whom I'd rather not have to deal with at all, which would truly make my holidays happier. I don't like capitalist Christmas, Halloween, New Year's, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Easter.

I don't decorate for Christmas either even though I don't have any problem with decorating. I just don't see the point. You just wind up having to take it all down again and waste money on it for no good reason. It doesn't stop my mother and my mother-in-law from giving me new Christmas decorations every year to add to a collection I don't use. I'm about ready to put the Twelve Days of Christmas china I never wanted, I've never used, and never intend to use on Craigslist. Heck- I'm at the point where Freecyle would do.

If only my parish celebrated Christmas on the Old Calendar like we do for Pascha! I'd rather just give money to charity, have a nice family dinner, and attend church- but every year I'm forced to exchange gift cards (which makes no logical sense as we all spend twenty-five dollars) with my cousins, and buy gifts for nieces and nephews- some of whom not only don't remember my name, but can't tell the difference between me and another aunt of theirs (and we look nothing alike- and they're too old to be ignorant). Don't get me started about having to deal with my co-workers and their love of forced participation at staff holiday parties. I'd get more out of giving to a charity in their name as my gift to them and would rather receive the same in return. I'm not rich, but I don't actually need anything and can't get worked up over pointless consumerism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ryeaber

lurker - student of logic
Sep 28, 2011
✟15,230.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why so jealous of Hanukkah? It's not even a holiday that's that big of a deal for the Jewish people. It's a relatively minor holiday, and from what I've heard from certain Jewish kids, pencils and socks and dreidels (sp?) do not really equate to the typical Christmas day in most homes.

This used to be true, btw. Nowadays, not so much. My guess is that it's because of the commercialization of Christmas, and how that rolled over to Chanukkah. As more Jewish kids became secularized, and had non-Jewish friends, they would tell their parents that Jimmy next door just got a new bike, so why do I just get a sweater and school supplies?

And that chocolate gelt? Terrible. Was only good for playing dreidel with. I think they've come out with better tasting ones, but back in the day? Blech.

Nowadays, parents generally give their kids small gifts for the first 7 days (the equivilent of stocking stuffers), and then one big gift on the last day.

To answer the OP? No - doesn’t offend me, or anyone I know. I used to reply with a Happy Chanukkah or Gut Yontif (all encompassing "have a good holiday" in yiddish) and enjoy the look of surprise that it got me.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't offend me when someone wishes me a merry or happy whatever day. I think it's nice ;)

I celebrate Christmas as a cultural holiday. I don't incorporate "Christmas" into my worship, and I stopped attending churches that do, but it doesn't offend me that to many people it is an integral part of their worship.

Those that are offended by anyone wishing them a merry day... well... they seem to be looking for a reason to be offended IMHO.

Merry Christmas!

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I think the problem is that people (especially christians) have this notion that EVERYONE celebrates Christmas. But this just isnt true! For those who actually have convictions against Christmas (jews, muslims, some atheists, and some messianics and Im sure other groups), it does make it awkward.

This is America, not everyone celebrates it or wants to! It's simply not 'america's holiday' if we're going to claim how diverse we are.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My impression is that those who are offended by "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", and the like are people who just enjoy being offended in general. Kinda sad actually.

Or looking for a reason to become offended so that they can lash out and feel justified.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Or looking for a reason to become offended so that they can lash out and feel justified.

The sad/funny thing is, there is so much out there in the world that we SHOULD be offended by... being offended because someone wished you a happy day seems, well, wrong.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I have come to realize that there are people of all stripes and persuasions who wear their perceived persecutions and offenses as a badge of honor. Unfortunately, these tend to be the most vocal members of any given group, and so give the entire group a bad name. As a Christian, I am fine with people wishing me "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" or even a nice "have a good day" because it is a gesture of politeness and kindness. Most non-Christians I have met feel the same way about "Merry Christmas".

But, if you watch too much Fox News or listen to too much conservative talk radio, you'd think that America is ready to go to civil war on the issue. Oh well.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

The sad/funny thing is, there is so much out there in the world that we SHOULD be offended by... being offended because someone wished you a happy day seems, well, wrong.

Agreed!

If a person wants to be offended by something, just think of all of the children who will die today from starvation, preventable disease, lack of potable water, and lack of proper sanitation in a world that has more than enough means to provide these things to everyone. Or, how about all of the children in orphanages and foster homes, who will die or age out of the system before someone adopts them? I could go on, but the point is that if these things offend, the do something about them. And, in doing so, whether you are a Christian or not, you are living out the Christmas message in much more meaningful way than just being mad because someone wished you well with the wrong words.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

I agree. I just think the whole imagined "War on Christmas" crap is something that feeds the persecution complex that so many like to project. I'm baffled that any Christian in the U.S. could possibly feel persecuted.

Do. Not. Make. Me. Play. The. Gay. Card.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I have come to realize that there are people of all stripes and persuasions who wear their perceived persecutions and offenses as a badge of honor. Unfortunately, these tend to be the most vocal members of any given group, and so give the entire group a bad name. As a Christian, I am fine with people wishing me "Happy Holidays" or "Seasons Greetings" or even a nice "have a good day" because it is a gesture of politeness and kindness. Most non-Christians I have met feel the same way about "Merry Christmas".

But, if you watch too much Fox News or listen to too much conservative talk radio, you'd think that America is ready to go to civil war on the issue. Oh well.

Yep. Totally agree. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My impression is that those who are offended by "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", and the like are people who just enjoy being offended in general. Kinda sad actually.

Generally I think so. But I work with one observant Jew and the street of my home happens to the a route takne (on foot) by many other observant Jews to Temple.

All these might as well wear a sign saying I'm a Jew. I do think wishing such a Merry Christmas is a bit rude or at least insensitive. I thnik they have a right to be a bit offended if an adult wisheds them Merry Christmas. Different for such wishes from a child.

Upvote 0

neveragain

Jewish Atheist
Dec 20, 2011
✟7,611.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
This is a red herring. The idea that Christmas greetings are found offensive is a useful way for well-off Christians in overwhelmingly Christian societies to fulfil their martyr complex.

Exactly.

I went to Target tonight to buy candles for the menorah. The clerk wished me Merry Christmas. I wasn't offended in the slightest.

I do, however, appreciate when people wish others Happy Holidays instead, simply because it shows an understanding that not all of us celebrate Christmas.

Upvote 0