✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
TouchingTestimony said:
Something I read elsewhere got me thinking.

"If you’re not Christian? What if someone said “Happy Hanukkah” and you aren’t Jewish? Or maybe even “Happy Kwanzaa” but you’re not black?
Would any of this offend you? I know plenty of Jewish people who celebrate Christmas. It seems to be the universal holiday, in the United States anyway. So why do people get so offended when a stranger offers them well-being for the season? Personally I’m jealous of Jewish people. They get 8 days to our one, and I love me some latkes.
I’ve thought about this for a while and I’ve come to the conclusion that if I were Jewish and someone said “Merry Christmas” I would just say back to them: “Merry Christmas” (followed with a couple of select words in Hebrew)."
So what do you think?
Would you be offended?

Nope not offended at all.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
When I was growing up we wished each other Merry Christmas without a second thought. But as I grew older I realized that I had friends, and later business acquaintances, who might not be Christian. They might be Jewish and celebrating other holidays. So when working at my first retail job or out in the world I would wish people "Happy Holidays". It didn't mean that I was demeaning Christianity. It meant I was trying to be a decent human being and include others instead of excluding them. Now all I see is people posting again and again about how they will only patronize businesses that wish you "Merry Christmas" or how they want to insist that we put the "Christ" back in "Christmas". The "Christ" never left Christmas. Insisting that we force "Merry Christmas" on people does nothing but include those who are already included and exclude those we don't really want to exclude. This is the time of year when we're supposed to remember each other. Not that we're not supposed to be there for each other all year around but this time of year especially. Whether you're Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, agnostic or atheist. Take a moment and remember that wishing each other "Happy Holidays" means, "I'm including you. No matter who you are." -- Happy Holidays.

I'm trying to figure out when acknowledging that not everyone celebrates Christmas and acknowledging other holidays somehow became a "War on Christmas."

To the OP, no it doesn't offend me at all.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm trying to figure out when acknowledging that not everyone celebrates Christmas and acknowledging other holidays somehow became a "War on Christmas."

It's all tied into that persecution complex displayed by so many Christians.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

Robbie_James_Francis

May all beings have happiness and its causes
Apr 12, 2005
England, UK
✟20,261.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
This is a red herring. The idea that Christmas greetings are found offensive is a useful way for well-off Christians in overwhelmingly Christian societies to fulfil their martyr complex.

In my local shop, they wish people a happy Eid, Diwali, Hannukah and Christmas as they come around. As an atheist I should be offended...?

I love Christmas. Family, friends, goodwill, food, drunkenness...what's not to like?

This thread is a regurgitated version of the hysteria that occurs every year about the non-existent "war on Christmas".

The truth is, many Christians need to feel persecuted to sustain their faith, regardless of the facts. If you truly believe, you can do it without the martyr complex.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am a Christian and I am offended by Merry Christmas.

I am also offended by Happy Holidays.

I see no reason why there should be a special greeting, or someone trying to do something to make me feel the "spirit" of some event.

It's a personal thing... I don't even really want to deal with you other than you telling me the price I have to pay for a product, and I am not interested in becoming your friend...

Merry Christmas? Happy Holidays?

Please, don't say either.

Say, "It's $15" or "Would you like fries with that, sir?" or "How many people are in your party, sir?"

There is no purpose for superfluous words in superficial social interactions.

Upvote 0

Caitlin.ann

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2006
Indiana
✟30,277.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Verv said:
I am a Christian and I am offended by Merry Christmas.

I am also offended by Happy Holidays.

I see no reason why there should be a special greeting, or someone trying to do something to make me feel the "spirit" of some event.

It's a personal thing... I don't even really want to deal with you other than you telling me the price I have to pay for a product, and I am not interested in becoming your friend...

Merry Christmas? Happy Holidays?

Please, don't say either.

Say, "It's $15" or "Would you like fries with that, sir?" or "How many people are in your party, sir?"

There is no purpose for superfluous words in superficial social interactions.
I used to be the exact same way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

corvus_corax

Naclist Hierophant and Prophet
Jan 19, 2005
Oregon
✟14,911.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Something I read elsewhere got me thinking.
If you’re not Christian?What if someone said “Happy Hanukkah” and you aren’t Jewish? Or maybe even “Happy Kwanzaa” but you’re not black?
Would any of this offend you?

Absolutely not
I'm not a Christian, just so you know
I know plenty of Jewish people who celebrate Christmas. It seems to be the universal holiday, in the United States anyway. So why do people get so offended when a stranger offers them well-being for the season? Personally I’m jealous of Jewish people. They get 8 days to our one, and I love me some latkes.

Why so jealous of Hanukkah? It's not even a holiday that's that big of a deal for the Jewish people. It's a relatively minor holiday, and from what I've heard from certain Jewish kids, pencils and socks and dreidels (sp?) do not really equate to the typical Christmas day in most homes.
I’ve thought about this for a while and I’ve come to the conclusion that if I were Jewish and someone said “Merry Christmas” I would just say back to them: “Merry Christmas” (followed with a couple of select words in Hebrew)."
So what do you think?]

Well I'm a non believer altogether (kind of)
But I wish people Merry Christmas as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I live in a country with a very sizeable Buddhist population.

On official government ground and in official messages you sometimes get references to this and Buddhist style festivals are held.

I am not offended and I do not even bother making a point of announcing "I AIN'T NO BUDDHIST!" on these days.

Upvote 0