Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Video Talk

John 10:22-30 NIV

“Then came the Festival of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple courts walking in Solomon’s Colonnade. The Jews who were there gathered around him, saying, ‘How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.’

“Jesus answered, ‘I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.’”

The Jews didn’t ask Jesus that question because they didn’t know the answer, for Jesus told them the truth plainly, I suspect more than once, especially since he said that his works testified about him. So, the problem wasn’t that the Jews didn’t know the answer to that question. The problem was that they refused to believe and to put into practice what they did know. For the real problem was that they were not Jesus’ sheep, for his sheep listen to him and they follow (obey) him, and he knows them.

Today we have professers of faith in Jesus Christ who are also asking questions that they already know the answers to. It isn’t that they don’t know, but that they don’t want to have to obey what they know. And so they will ask the same questions repeatedly, sometimes of different people, not because they don’t know the answers, but because they don’t really want to have to obey the Lord. And so they claim ignorance. They want to be associated with Christ in name only, but they are not his true sheep.

But it is all a game. It is a mind game that they play with other people so that they can make excuses for why they are still not surrendered to Christ as Lord and for why they still are not obeying him. So they will make statements like, “I didn’t know,” when they did know. Many of them have known for a very long time. Or they will say, “I don’t know how,” when they do know how, but again it is a mind game. It is to get people to keep answering questions they already know the answers to but refuse to obey.

And then there are those who love to quote Scriptures (usually the promises of God) entirely out of context and then to apply them to their lives when they don’t meet the criteria for them to be applied to their lives. For all God’s promises have stipulations, which we will become aware of when we read his promises in their context, to whom they apply. So don’t quote John 10:28-30 without verse 27. For verse 27 explains who those promises apply to. They apply to those who are listening to the Lord and who are obeying him and what his word teaches us regarding how we should live.

So, don’t be like those who just play mind games with God and with other people in order to avoid having to obey what they already know to be true. And don’t be those who claim the promises of God over their lives when they don’t apply to their lives. Read God’s promises in their full context and look for those stipulations. Look and see who those promises are for. They are not for everyone who says, “Lord, Lord,” with their lips. They are for those who love and obey the Lord Jesus in truth and who do not play mind games.

Caution: This link may contain ads beyond my control

The Battle for Truth

An Original Work / May 18, 2013
Based off Malachi 1-4

Truth is marching, truth is marching.

I love you. Honor me.
Tell the truth. You’ll be free.
Sing My praise all your days.
I will give all you need.

Truth is marching, truth is marching.

Turn from sin; cleansed within.
Stand in awe of My Name.