Status
Not open for further replies.

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
Please note the following things that are found in Christ. Redemption Rom 3:24, Eternal life Rom 6:23, No condemnation rom 8:1, Ever spiritual blessing eph 1:3, Grace 2 Tim 2:1 and Salvation 2Tim:2:10.

Would'nt you agree that we must be in Christ to be saved?
If we are outside of Christ we are lost correct?

What does the word of God teach on how we can get into Christ?

Galatians 3:27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Romans 6:3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
Paul teaches us in both of these passages that it is at the point of baptism that one is put into Christ where all the spirtual blessing are found.

Can a person be put into Christ without baptism? NO

Can a person be put into his death without baptism? NO

Now consisder this.​
Ephesians 1:22-23 22 And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.
Colossians 1:18 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
Ephesians 5:23 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
Ephesians 4:4 4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling;

Paul teaches us from these verses that there is only one body and this one body is the church. Jesus is the head of this one body and he is the savior of that one body.

With this in mind can you be saved without being in this one body which is the church that Jesus will save? NO
How do you get into that one body?​
1 Corinthians 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body- Jews or Greeks, slaves or free- and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

Paul makes it clear that one must be baptized into the one body.

Can you get into the one body without baptism? NO

This same concept ca be seen in Acts 2 at the birth of the church. Peter spoke a moving sermon to these men and they had already belived and were sorry for what they had done and they wanted to know what they should do acts 2:37.​
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

These men had to repent and be baptized for the remission of sin.

Could these men have their sins removed if they didn't both repent and be baptized? NO.

Paul didnt have his sins washed away until he was baptized Acts 22:16. This same idea is expressed in Col 2:12-13. Rom 6:23 tells us that sin is death. Sin seperates us from God.

Can you see that we must repent and be baptized to have our sins washed away?
Back in Acts 2 notice that those who glady received Peters instructions were baptized.

Acts 2:41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Notice that it was those who were baptized that were added to them that day. and it was God that was adding them to the church acts 2:47.​
Can one be added to the church by God without repentence and baptism? NO

Is baptism a work of merit? NO

Colossians 2:12-13 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
Please notice that the water is not magical. When we are baptized we are being obedient and putting our faith in the working of God. We can know when we are lowered into the water that we are being buried with Jesus and being raised a new creature through faith in the working of god.

Hebrews 5:8-9 8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered. 9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,

Please notice that Jesus offers eternal salvation to those who obey him.

Can you be saved if you do not obey Jesus? NO
Jesus made it clear in Mat 28:19-20 that we are to make disciples of him by baptizing people in the name of the Father, son, and Holy Spirit teaching them to observe all the things that Jesus commanded.

Jesus makes it crystal clear that we must belive and be baptized to be saved.

Mark 16:16​
"He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.

You cannot seperate these two words. Gramatically they are tied together with the word "and" and they are equal in rank.

Can you be saved without beliving and being baptized? NO

In summary we must

Hear the word of God Rom 10:17
Belive having faith in in Christ and in grace JN 8:24

Obey the words of God Jn 14:15, Heb 5:9 2Thess 1:7
Repent of your sins Lk 13:3 Acts 17:30

Confess Jesus as your Lord Mt 10:32-33, Rom 10:9-10
Be baptized Acts 2:38, Mk 16:16, 1Pet 3:21, Acts 22:16.

Then once you are in Christ you must live a faithful life until your death Rev 2:10, 2Jn. 1:9

Are you ready to be put into that one body which is Jesus body?
Are you ready to be put into Christ where all the blessing are?
Are you ready to have your sins washed away and to be added to the church by God?

If you are why not be baptized today because today is the day of salvation.

2 Corinthians 6:2 For he says, "In a favorable time I listened to you, and in a day of salvation I have helped you." Behold, now is the favorable time; behold, now is the day of salvation.

Philo

Iconoclast
Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
✟559.00
Faith
Christian
Why'd you state it as a question? Just curious. I mean, you could have made the title of this thread "How to put on Christ." It obvious you took a lot of time putting together this post. Why you placed it in "Liberal Theology" is beyond me. What exactly is liberal about the idea of baptismal regeneration/communion?

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
I stated it as a question because I want you to answer the questions. I put it in the liberal Theology because that is where 2 other baptism threads are.

So are you up to answering my questions? I have this same thought in 3 threads and not one single person has attemted to respond to it. I can only assume that they cannot.

Cougan

Upvote 0

GreenPartyVoter

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Feb 4, 2004
Maine
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Liberal Christians do not necessarily take all Scripture at face value. That is one of the things that makes them liberal. Therefore presenting them with Scripture to make your case doesn't necessarily make the case for them.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sounds like you already have your answers. Congratulations for you.

If you're here to "witness" to "us heathens", don't be too terribly surprised if we don't pay much attention to you. Some of us already have our answers, too. :yawn:

Upvote 0

Philo

Iconoclast
Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
✟559.00
Faith
Christian
cougan said:
I stated it as a question because I want you to answer the questions. I put it in the liberal Theology because that is where 2 other baptism threads are.

So are you up to answering my questions? I have this same thought in 3 threads and not one single person has attemted to respond to it. I can only assume that they cannot.

Cougan
Looks like you are smart enough to figure this out yourself, Cougan.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
GreenPartyVoter said:
Liberal Christians do not necessarily take all Scripture at face value. That is one of the things that makes them liberal. Therefore presenting them with Scripture to make your case doesn't necessarily make the case for them.
Thats really sad GreenPartyVoter. What you are telling me then is that you could care less at what the scriptures actually say espeically if they go against your way of thinking. The first thing you need to realize is that Gods way is the only way. God does not need man to add to or take away from his plan.

Colossians 2:21-23 21 "Do not touch, do not taste, do not handle," 22 which all concern things which perish with the using -- according to the commandments and doctrines of men? 23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

Anything that is not based upon the word of God is doctrines of men. Many today are guilt of self-imposed religion. If we want to be pleasing to God we need to humble ourselves before him James 4:6 and we need to be obedient to his way not our way.

Romans 6:17-18 17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. 18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.

Notice its those who obey the doctrine that is the word of God that are delivered from sin.

Paul thought it to be very important for us to hold to sound doctrine.

1 Timothy 1:3 3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia -- remain in Ephesus that you may charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

1 Timothy 4:1-6
1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, 2 speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, 3 forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving; 5 for it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer. 6 If you instruct the brethren in these things, you will be a good minister of Jesus Christ, nourished in the words of faith and of the good doctrine which you have carefully followed.

2 Timothy 4:3-5
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.

Titus 1:9
9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

Titus 2:1
Titus 2:1 But as for you, speak the things which are proper for sound doctrine:

Can you see how important it is that you not go outside of the pattern that is laid out in the word of God. If you go outside the word of God than you have added to or taken away from the word of God which is condemned in the Bible.

1 Corinthians 4:6 6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against the other.

Galatians 1:8
8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.

Please understand that there only one foundation that is laid in the word of God.

1 Corinthians 3:11 11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 2:19-22 19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, 21 in whom the whole building, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Jesus is the only way to heaven.
John 14:6 6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

The truth will set you free.
John 8:32 32 "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

We must worship God is sprirt and in truth.
John 4:23-24 23 "But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth."

What is truth?
John 17:17 17 "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.

What is in sprirt?
Worshiping him with you whole heart.

The word of God is power of God to salvation.
Romans 1:16 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.

The word of God is able to save your soul.
James 1:21 21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

Faith comes by hearing that word.
Romans 10:17 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

If something is done outside of the word it is not by faith.
Romans 14:23 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.

If a person fails to do what they are suppose to do its a sin.
James 4:17 17 Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin.

So please reconsisder your liberal thinking and go back to the Bible and be pleasing to God and not to yourself. We must put him first in our life.
Matthew 6:33 33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

When you go down your own path and stray away the pattern laid out by God you sin and in a way you recrucify you Jesus all over again.
Hebrews 6:6 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 18:6
Whoever will cause one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for him that a huge millstone should be hung around his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depths of the sea.

Luke 10:37
Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

Matthew 11:15
He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Upvote 0

Philo

Iconoclast
Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
✟559.00
Faith
Christian
UberLutheran said:
Whoever will cause one of these little ones who believe in me to stumble, it would be better for him that a huge millstone should be hung around his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depths of the sea.

I don't know why, but I lolled.

And, Cougan... I'm glad you are very sure of your reasoning and comprehension abilities and the resulting doctrines.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
UberLutheran said:

Well, thats not very nice. If I understand you spliced together verses here you are telling me to grab my stone and jump into a lake. I tell you what UberLutheran as soon as you show from scriputure how I am causing anyone to stumble then you can rightly quote that verse to me.

All I am asking of you and all who read this is to open up your Bible and answer the questions. Dont take my word or anyone else word alone. Open up the Bible search the scriptures and determine for yourself if I am speaking the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Philo said:
Why'd you state it as a question? Just curious. I mean, you could have made the title of this thread "How to put on Christ." It obvious you took a lot of time putting together this post. Why you placed it in "Liberal Theology" is beyond me. What exactly is liberal about the idea of baptismal regeneration/communion?
Probably because the subject seemed to getted bumped from the other areas. We just don't seem to know which side of the arguement is considered LIBERAL in today's day and age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
cougan said:
Well, thats not very nice. If I understand you spliced together verses here you are telling me to grab my stone and jump into a lake. I tell you what UberLutheran as soon as you show from scriputure how I am causing anyone to stumble then you can rightly quote that verse to me.

All I am asking of you and all who read this is to open up your Bible and answer the questions. Dont take my word or anyone else word alone. Open up the Bible search the scriptures and determine for yourself if I am speaking the truth.

Perhaps we DO read our Bibles, and we've already come up with our own conclusions. Has THAT ever occurred to you?

Here's another novel thought: why don't you ask REAL questions, instead of asking rhetorical questions which make the assumption that Someone has handed you The Ultimate Truth on a Silver Platter and you're handing out little bits of That Truth to us (like miniature chocolate truffles)?

If you want to quote reams and reams of Scripture -- so be it. Just be aware that WE can quote Scripture at you, too. :sick:

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
cougan said:
So what you saying is that you dont trust in the Bible you just trust in God.

He worships GOD, not the Bible.

Worshipping the Bible is called bibliolatry. That's a form of idolatry - and idolatry, as we all know, is a sin.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
Invader Pichu said:
Exactally.
Which God do you trust in? Because the only way you can learn about the one God that I worship is to read about him in the Bible. The scriptures that you read in your Bible are the word of God and they tell you of his love and his plan for you. Notice the following that we learn from the Bible.

Lk 1:1-4 We can know what happened
Jn 20:31 We can belive that Jesus is the son of God and have life in him.
Eph 3:3-5 We can have an apostles understanding by reading the scriptures

We are to desire the pure milk of the word so that we me grow 1Peter 2:2

2tim 3:16-17 and 2Pet 1:3 teaches us the word of God fully equips us making us complete and gives all things pertaining to life and Godlinesses.

The words we have in our bible came from God through men who were inspired by the Holy spirit 1Cor 2:13, 2Pet 1:21.

You say you trust in God but you do not trust in his word. If cant trust in his word than you cannot trust in the God as recorded in the Bible. If you do not trust in the word of God you could never ever become a Christian because you would not know how. You can never grow in the knowledge of your God because you dont trust in his word. You can never worship in spirit and in truth John 4:23-24 because Gods word is truth John 17:17. You can never obey gods commands because you dont trust the word.

The people of Berea had the right idea they searched the scriptures daily to see if what was being said was so Acts 17:11. But you cannot do this because you dont trust in the word of God.

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
UberLutheran said:
Perhaps we DO read our Bibles, and we've already come up with our own conclusions. Has THAT ever occurred to you?

Here's another novel thought: why don't you ask REAL questions, instead of asking rhetorical questions which make the assumption that Someone has handed you The Ultimate Truth on a Silver Platter and you're handing out little bits of That Truth to us (like miniature chocolate truffles)?

If you want to quote reams and reams of Scripture -- so be it. Just be aware that WE can quote Scripture at you, too. :sick:
I dont doubt that you do read your Bibles and that you have already came to your own conclusions. In case you havent notice this a discussion forum and different people offer their thoughts on what the Bible teaches. Has THAT ever occurred to you?

Ok I will ask these simple questions below and I will remove my own answer. My questions were not rhetorical I simply provided my answer to them. Now the ball is in your court. I have simplfied the question and I leave it up to you to answer.

Are you in Christ?

Please note the following things that are found in Christ. Redemption Rom 3:24, Eternal life Rom 6:23, No condemnation rom 8:1, Ever spiritual blessing eph 1:3, Grace 2 Tim 2:1 and Salvation 2Tim:2:10.

Would'nt you agree that we must be in Christ to be saved?
If we are outside of Christ we are lost correct?

What does the word of God teach on how we can get into Christ?

Galatians 3:27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

Romans 6:3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
Paul teaches us in both of these passages that it is at the point of baptism that one is put into Christ where all the spirtual blessing are found.

Can a person be put into Christ without baptism?
Can a person be put into his death without baptism?​

Upvote 0

cougan

Apr 21, 2002
Visit site
✟8,856.00
Faith
Christian
UberLutheran said:
He worships GOD, not the Bible.

Worshipping the Bible is called bibliolatry. That's a form of idolatry - and idolatry, as we all know, is a sin.
Wow that useful information. However I did not ask him if he worshiped his Bible nor did I ever state that I worship my BIble. Here is what I said.

So what you saying is that you dont trust in the Bible you just trust in God.

My statement is trusting in the Bible which is the word of God not worshiping it. You learn how to worship God in spirit and in truth by reading your Bible.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.