Are you a good person?

S

seeking Christ

So what you have seen is that people who think of "good" in the Biblical sense, do not hold themselves up to being that good. You have misinterpreted this into being something negative.

Those same people could just as easily answer respective to the idea of "good" that the others have considered, and conclude that yes they are good. It seems like you would be happier in that instance. I'm merely pointing out that it changes nothing in reality.

Upvote 0

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
So what you have seen is that people who think of "good" in the Biblical sense, do not hold themselves up to being that good. You have misinterpreted this into being something negative.

Those same people could just as easily answer respective to the idea of "good" that the others have considered, and conclude that yes they are good. It seems like you would be happier in that instance. I'm merely pointing out that it changes nothing in reality.

No, a simple no would do in that case and I'd accept it as what they believe and I'd respect them for it, what I've seen is simply a reluctance to simply answer. If they believe the biblical version of good is what is important then NO is the answer, that is all that is needed and even then that is reluctantly given.

Upvote 0

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Seeking

and even now you haven't answered, you're interested in talking about the idea of good and talking about me, not answering a simple question about the real you. I am well aware your concern but you can still answer the question of whether or not you are good because you do have a belief on the matter. You shouldn't be so concerned with how I take it and that seems to be the issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lee M

Nov 22, 2012
✟1,868.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Of course there's reluctance to answer: "good" has as many different ideas as there are people who utter the sound. (Unless we accept a clear-cut meaning such as Jesus gives us, in which case none of us are good)

Your stated concern is the defense of the idea that no one is good... not the simple answer of whether or not you are good. You're a bit too concerned with defending your position though it isn't uncommon or complicated. That's all I wanted to know.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟746,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Seeing as I have a tendency to screw up quite frequently, putting my foot in my mouth, and doing things, generally unintentionally, that causes harm to those I love, I'd have to say I'm not all that good.

The only One who is truly good is God.

That's only depressing if we ignore the Gospel, which say that God loves sinners, justifying them freely by His grace, making them children and heirs.

That's not depressing to me, that's good news to my ears.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to the Bible, we all fall short of God's standards. The law condemns all of us. So by these standards, none of us are good. Yet, as ViaCrusis said, we have been offered justification. Jesus took our sin on Himself, and so by substitution, God looks on the saved in the same way He looks at Christ.

The only opinion that really matters to me is God's. If He says something, I match my thinking to it. So really, the answer is both yes and no. No, I am not a good person, because I fail to obey God's laws, and I sin regularly. But God looks on me as if I am blameless, and it would be insulting to what Christ did for me to continue to see myself as a dirty, no good sinner. I have been made clean.

Sometimes, a simple answer just doesn't cut it.

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Could you elaborate?

We cannot be as good as God, but we can be good like God and in obedience to the command of Jesus to love. We all fall short of perfection and we all at best have failed to love as we should and could. Therefore grace and forgiveness remains necessary for us to be gifted with eternal life. We do have the ability to be unloving and wicked and uncaring and if we do we fully earn the loss of any hope of a gift from God of eternal life. Our hope is never based on our being loving enough or good enough. It is based on how loving and good and kind and gentle and merciful and just our Creator is.

Upvote 0