Hornitos, California
✟15,761.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:wave: I always say that I am a Christian, because I belong to Christ. For purposes of discussion and debate with other believers I say that I agree with Calvin's or Paul's theology. But I think Paul states It best in 1 Corinthians 3: 4-9 :

4) For when one says, "I am of Paul," and another, "I am of Apollos," are you not mere men.
5) What then is Apollos? and what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one.
6) I planted. Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth.
7) So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.
8) Now he who plants and he who waters are one ; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
9) For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.

I have no problem with what Luther said and think that Calvin would agree.
I fell you were trying to make a point and I agree that too often we tend to
identity with men rather then Jesus. :thumbsup::cool:

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Only God in heaven knows what is in our hearts and minds so in that regard denominational labels are of no importance, however, to me it seems it is very important from a human POV so that we can fellowship and interact with like minded brothers and sisters in Christ, iron sharpens iron. My 2 cents or less.

Upvote 0

BrotherBob

Zealot
Mar 6, 2010
Hornitos, California
✟15,761.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Only God in heaven knows what is in our hearts and minds so in that regard denominational labels are of no importance, however, to me it seems it is very important from a human POV so that we can fellowship and interact with like minded brothers and sisters in Christ, iron sharpens iron. My 2 cents or less.

:wave: I agree.:thumbsup::cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Calvin on many things.

I am a Calvinist because I believe the Bible teaches the predestination and I think John Calvin's handling of that issue is very good. I prefer to say that I am a Christian and hold to a Reformed understanding of the Christian faith.

Kenith

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,724.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Howabout Cranky Baptist? Or Bow Tie wearing Baptist? Or Strict and Ornery Baptist?

Historically Strict & Particular worked well for British Baptists and Primitive Baptists for the Americans. I'm a Canadian so I'm a Cold Baptist.

j

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Calvinism has often come to mean the doctrines of grace so I use it sparingly. Calvin would roll in his grave if he heard credobaptists, immersionists no less, calling themselves Calvinists.

j
Agreed

just like the reformers would go nuts hearing baptists calling them themselves reformed.

Upvote 0

Scottish Knight

Veteran
Feb 17, 2010
Scotland
✟10,580.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed

just like the reformers would go nuts hearing baptists calling them themselves reformed.

I don't have a problem with calling myself reformed. The thing is a lot of Baptists are Reformed in theology so why can't we use the label? Most Baptists today (at least in the English speaking world) are descended from the protestant Reformation rather than from the anabaptist movement. Yes, we disagree on the issue of baptism but the core theology is the same. Anyway that's my iew.

PS: does the phrase Strict Baptist mean that they practice closed communion or does it mean more than that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a problem with calling myself reformed. The thing is a lot of Baptists are Reformed in theology so why can't we use the label? Most Baptists today (at least in the English speaking world) are descended from the protestant Reformation rather than from the anabaptist movement. Yes, we disagree on the issue of baptism but the core theology is the same. Anyway that's my iew.

PS: does the phrase Strict Baptist mean that they practice closed communion or does it mean more than that?

Many Calvinistic Baptists would not call themselves Reformed because that label includes a fully-orbed covenantal theology which includes infant baptism and thorough, historical, confessional documents. Although many baptists do look to the reformation as their heritage, so do Lutherans and Arminians, and they certainly aren't Reformed. The confusion comes in because many people today have a reductionist definition of the term "Reformed" and are seemingly unaware of the full meaning of the term.

BTW - I am not objecting to covenantal, calvinistic, baptists using the term "Reformed" (I'm thinking here of 1689 LBC folks, for example), just pointing out why many people on both sides take issue with it.

Upvote 0