Taranaki
✟82,081.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...the word of the LORD came to me, saying, “Son of man, I have appointed you as a watchman for the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from My mouth, warn them from Me. “When I say to the wicked, ‘You will certainly die,’ and you do not warn him or speak out to warn the wicked from his wicked way so that he may live, that wicked person shall die for wrongdoing, but his blood I will require from your hand. “However if you have warned the wicked and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his wicked way, he shall die for wrongdoing, but you have saved yourself. Ezekiel 3:16-19

I was recently reminded of the watchmen verses in Ezekiel and then told that we are like watchmen. That is, if we choose to do nothing about the lost, that we will be guilty of their demise.
Now, I know that God was talking directly to Ezekiel here and that he was to warn the people of Israel. But, are we in a similar situation with the great commission?
I see in Isaiah 62:6 states that we who profess the Lord should not rest either and in this verse, it also speaks of the watchmen. It seems to imply that we have the same responsibility.
On your walls, Jerusalem, I have appointed watchmen; All day and all night they will never keep silent. You who profess the LORD, take no rest for yourselves; Isa 62:6

Jesus has commissioned us to tell everyone of God’s great love.
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.” Mark 16:15
So, what happens if we choose not to proclaim the Gospel to everyone? Are we guilty? I know that it is wrong if we choose not to do what he has commanded of us.

Reactions: Ligurian

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟355,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To me it's hard to know who we can or can't witness to. Which I realize is not the way to think. For me it is hard to witness. But we definitely should wherever possible. Isn't that mostly why we are here? To bring others to God?

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
To me it's hard to know who we can or can't witness to. Which I realize is not the way to think. For me it is hard to witness. But we definitely should wherever possible. Isn't that mostly why we are here? To bring others to God?

I prefer this, “Preach the Gospel at all times, and if necessary use words.”

If someone wants to know, then they will approach me. I will happily talk about Jesus.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟737,452.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...the word of the LORD came to me, saying, “Son of man, I have appointed you as a watchman for the house of Israel; whenever you hear a word from My mouth, warn them from Me. “When I say to the wicked, ‘You will certainly die,’ and you do not warn him or speak out to warn the wicked from his wicked way so that he may live, that wicked person shall die for wrongdoing, but his blood I will require from your hand. “However if you have warned the wicked and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his wicked way, he shall die for wrongdoing, but you have saved yourself. Ezekiel 3:16-19

I was recently reminded of the watchmen verses in Ezekiel and then told that we are like watchmen. That is, if we choose to do nothing about the lost, that we will be guilty of their demise.
Now, I know that God was talking directly to Ezekiel here and that he was to warn the people of Israel. But, are we in a similar situation with the great commission?
I see in Isaiah 62:6 states that we who profess the Lord should not rest either and in this verse, it also speaks of the watchmen. It seems to imply that we have the same responsibility.
On your walls, Jerusalem, I have appointed watchmen; All day and all night they will never keep silent. You who profess the LORD, take no rest for yourselves; Isa 62:6

And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.” Mark 16:15
So, what happens if we choose not to proclaim the Gospel to everyone? Are we guilty? I know that it is wrong if we choose not to do what he has commanded of us.

It is a rather heavy commandment, and I really do not know the answer. In regard to the gospel, however, the Bible says:

Romans 10:18 But I say, have they not heard? Yes indeed: "THEIR SOUND HAS GONE OUT TO ALL THE EARTH, AND THEIR WORDS TO THE ENDS OF THE WORLD."​

So the reality is that all will hear the gospel, be it through us or someone else.

The way I see Ezekiel is more in the light of particular individuals to whom God's wrath is about to be poured out, who God asks us to warn. I am not the boldest person, so the way I pray is "God if ever I am put in a position like Ezikiel help me to speak when I need to, for I can't do it on my own". In regard to witnessing, and that verse I pray in the same way.

Upvote 0

Belinda Cooper

I am called to be salt & light
Jul 26, 2022
Houston
✟18,877.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I would say yes it is a commandment by Jesus therefore we need to obey.
but do we how to preach the gospel. Some do it from a stage, social media, in one on one conversations, in art, in music/song, in writing, in videos. There is more than one way to testify and share the gospel.

each person has their gifts- so find your lane and act.

If you had the cure for cancer, wouldn't you share it to all who would listen. You don't have to make them believe, you are called to share. Just like the woman at the well, come see a man who told me all I have ever done. invite to church, share a sermon, suggest a song, tell me your story

It may not be everyone you see but there is someone in your life who you can share with

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Only Ezekiel was a watchman.

People claiming to be watchmen tend to only emulate the ego gratifying aspects of his ministry that involves telling people what to do.

However, none of these so-called watchmen have a camp-out using cow dung as fuel for the fire.

it's pretty obvious what's going on, they're picking and choosing what to follow, and expect others to take them seriously. Good luck with that.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Dan.4
  1. [17] This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Are we watchmen or not?

Watchmen are prophets.

Isaiah 62:6-8 And on thy walls, O Jerusalem, have I set (σκοπούς) watchmen all day and all night, who shall never cease making mention of the Lord.[7] For there is none like you, when he shall have established, and made Jerusalem a praise on the earth.[8] For the Lord has sworn by His glory, and by the might of His arm, I will no more give thy corn and thy provisions to thine enemies; nor shall strangers any more drink thy wine, for which thou has laboured.LXX

Jeremiah 6:16-19 Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths of the Lord; and see what is the good way, and walk in it, and ye shall find purification for your souls. But they said, We will not walk in them.[17] I have set (σκοπούς) watchmen over you, saying, Hear ye the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hear it.[18] Therefore have the nations heard, and they that feed their flocks.[19] Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evils upon this people, even the fruit of their rebellions; for they have not heeded My words, and they have rejected My law.LXX

Isaiah 21:6-8 For thus said the Lord to me, Go and station a watchman for thyself, and declare whatever thou shalt see.[7] And I saw two mounted horsemen, and a rider on an ass, and a rider on a camel.[8] Hearken with great attention, and call thou Urias to the watch-tower: the Lord has spoken.LXX

Isaiah 8:1-2 And the Lord said to me, Take to thyself a volume of a great new book, and write in it with a man’s pen concerning the making a rapid plunder of spoils; for it is near at hand.[2] And make Me witnesses of faithful men, Urias, and Zacharias the son of Barachias.LXX (Matthew 23:34-35.KJV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Only Ezekiel was a watchman.

People claiming to be watchmen tend to only emulate the ego gratifying aspects of his ministry that involves telling people what to do.

However, none of these so-called watchmen have a camp-out using cow dung as fuel for the fire.

it's pretty obvious what's going on, they're picking and choosing what to follow, and expect others to take them seriously. Good luck with that.

The two witnesses will be prophets... watchmen

Upvote 0

1Tonne

Dec 2, 2021
Taranaki
✟82,081.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I can see both ways. God could have been talking to just Ezekiel, but it could also apply to us in the new covenant. Just by using new testament verses, we could argue the same calling to warn others and also the same punishment. That is that their blood could be required from us.

Jesus commanded us to “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.”
Then he says in John 14:21 "The one who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me"
If we love Jesus we will keep his command and proclaim the Gospel. This can be a scary thing. Fear is one of the main reasons for not proclaiming the Gospel.
Now, in war, a person who is given a command to go over the parapet, but chooses not to do so, is then classed as a coward and he will get the punishment due.
If a believer chooses not to share the Gospel because of fear, then fear is his master, and he too is a coward.
The question then becomes, "does God love a coward?"
Revelation 21:8 says "“But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.
So, we too could have the same calling to warn the world and if we do not, their blood could be required from us.

Reactions: Ligurian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the Holy Spirit inspires you to expound the Word, That being Jesus, the Logos, you will realize it after you have spoken and magnified the teachings of Jesus to an individual or a group. You will speak boldly and with authority and this will be the Holy Spirit using you as a mouthpiece. You are the vessel being used by God. Being well versed in Scripture is helpful. Many blessings to all.

• Winner
Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Isaiah 21:6-8 [8] Hearken with great attention, and call thou Urias to the watchtower: the Lord has spoken.LXX
Isaiah 8:1-2 And the Lord said to me, Take to thyself a volume of a great new book, and write in it with a man’s pen concerning the making a rapid plunder of spoils; for it is near at hand.[2] And make Me witnesses of faithful men, Urias, and Zacharias the son of Barachias.LXX (Matthew 23:34-35.KJV)

The two witnesses will be prophets... watchmen

Chapter and verse please.

Revelation 11:3-8 And I will give unto My two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. ...[7] And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.[8] And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Matthew 23:34-37 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:[35] That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the Earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.[36] Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.[37] O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Revelation 11:3-8 And I will give unto My two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth. ...[7] And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascends out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.[8] And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Matthew 23:34-37 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:[35] That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the Earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.[36] Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.[37] O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
Witnesses are not watchmen. besides, there is no wall.

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

Isaiah 21:6-8 [8] Hearken with great attention, and call thou Urias to the watchtower: the Lord has spoken.LXX
Isaiah 8:1-2 And the Lord said to me, Take to thyself a volume of a great new book, and write in it with a man’s pen concerning the making a rapid plunder of spoils; for it is near at hand.[2] And make Me witnesses of faithful men, Urias, and Zacharias the son of Barachias.LXX

These Walls:

Isaiah 49:14-17 But Sion said, The Lord has forsaken me and, The Lord has forgotten me.[15] Will a woman forget her child, so as not to have compassion upon the offspring of her womb? but if a woman should even forget these, yet I will not forget thee, saith the Lord.[16] Behold, I have painted thy (τείχη) walls on My hands, and thou art continually before Me.[17] And thou shalt soon be built by those by whom thou were destroyed, and they that made thee desolate shall go forth of thee.LXX

Zechariah 2:1-5 And I lifted up mine eyes and looked, and behold a man and in his hand a measuring line.[2] And I said to him, Whither goest thou? And he said to me, To (διαμετρήσαι) measure Jerusalem, to see what is the breadth of it and what is the length of it.[3] And behold, the angel that spoke with me stood by and another angel went forth to meet him,[4] and spoke to him saying, Run and speak to that young man saying, Jerusalem shall be fully inhabited by reason of the abundance of men and cattle in the midst of her.[5] And I will be to her, saith the Lord, a (τείχος) wall of fire round about and I will be for a glory in the midst of her.LXX

These Watchmen_/\_\/

Revelation 10:11 And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings. Revelation 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod. And the angel stood, saying, (έγειραι) Rise, and (μέτρησον) measure the temple of God and the altar and them that worship therein.KJV
egeiro = to waken (transitively or intransitively), i.e. rouse (literally, from sleep, from sitting or lying, from disease, from death...:--awake, lift (up), raise (again, up), rear up, (a-)rise (again, up), stand, take up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 21:6-8 [8] Hearken with great attention, and call thou Urias to the watch-tower: the Lord has spoken.LXX
Isaiah 8:1-2 And the Lord said to me, Take to thyself a volume of a great new book, and write in it with a man’s pen concerning the making a rapid plunder of spoils; for it is near at hand.[2] And make Me witnesses of faithful men, Urias, and Zacharias the son of Barachias.LXX

These Walls:

Isaiah 49:14-17 But Sion said, The Lord has forsaken me and, The Lord has forgotten me.[15] Will a woman forget her child, so as not to have compassion upon the offspring of her womb? but if a woman should even forget these, yet I will not forget thee, saith the Lord.[16] Behold, I have painted thy (τείχη) walls on My hands, and thou art continually before Me.[17] And thou shalt soon be built by those by whom thou were destroyed, and they that made thee desolate shall go forth of thee.LXX

Zechariah 2:1-5 And I lifted up mine eyes and looked, and behold a man and in his hand a measuring line.[2] And I said to him, Whither goest thou? And he said to me, To (διαμετρήσαι) measure Jerusalem, to see what is the breadth of it and what is the length of it.[3] And behold, the angel that spoke with me stood by and another angel went forth to meet him,[4] and spoke to him saying, Run and speak to that young man saying, Jerusalem shall be fully inhabited by reason of the abundance of men and cattle in the midst of her.[5] And I will be to her, saith the Lord, a (τείχος) wall of fire round about and I will be for a glory in the midst of her.LXX

These Watchmen_/\_\/

Revelation 10:11 And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings. Revelation 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod. And the angel stood, saying, Rise, and (μέτρησον) measure the temple of God and the altar and them that worship therein.KJV
egeiro = to waken (transitively or intransitively), i.e. rouse (literally, from sleep, from sitting or lying, from disease, from death...:--awake, lift (up), raise (again, up), rear up, (a-)rise (again, up), stand, take up.
Not sure what you're getting at with those passages, are you saying you're a Jehovah's Witness?

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

These Walls:

These Watchmen_/\_\/

Revelation 10:11 And he said unto me, Thou must prophesy again before many peoples, and nations, and tongues, and kings. Revelation 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod. And the angel stood, saying, (έγειραι) Rise, and (μέτρησον) measure the temple of God and the altar and them that worship therein.KJV
Not sure what you're getting at with those passages, are you saying you're a Jehovah's Witness?

My name isn't John or Zechariah... next guess?

Upvote 0

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private

These Walls:

These Watchmen_/\_\/

My name isn't John or Zechariah... next guess?

Not sure how it relates.

Not sure how "Jehovah's Witness" relates to me ...I call God the Father...
Maybe you should be more careful with your pidgeon-holing?

Since Urias was called to the watchtower and he was called a faithful witness
...and watchtowers have watchmen...
then Urias was both a witness and a watchman.
But you said witnesses are not watchmen, in the first quote, above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Not sure how "Jehovah's Witness" relates to me ...I call God the Father...
Maybe you should be more careful with your pidgeon-holing?

Since Urias was called to the watchtower and he was called a faithful witness
...and watchtowers have watchmen...
then Urias was both a witness and a watchman.
But you said witnesses are not watchmen, in the first quote, above.
Fallacy: trying to prove new testament things with old testament things.

• Agree
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0