✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Bonus question: and do we really know?

I'm in the UK. i can't actually see this video. I'm running on conjecture and guesswork with this thread. Please can you upload a different version and provide a description?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm in the UK. i can't actually see this video. I'm running on conjecture and guesswork with this thread. Please can you upload a different version and provide a description?
Video: The Fixx, Are We Ourselves

I will let you find your own as I wont know whats available in UK.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
When I was 19 y/o and ‘Trying to find myself’ I went to a councilor who shared a jewel of wisdom of life with me. She said “You are a 19 y/o understandably overwhelmed with navigating the next stage of your life (adulthood) and naturally feeling very anxious about it. Voila’ there you are.”

That was so freeing for me because that perspective puts you in the ‘here and now’ and in a practical frame of mind to work with. In contrast with a person of influence sending an already confused young person on a mystical ‘wild goose chase’ possibly resulting in causing that young person into “chasing their own tail.”

John 8: 31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
When I was 19 y/o and ‘Trying to find myself’ I went to a councilor who shared a jewel of wisdom of life with me. She said “You are a 19 y/o understandably overwhelmed with navigating the next stage of your life (adulthood) and naturally feeling very anxious about it. Voila’ there you are.”

That was so freeing for me because that perspective puts you in the ‘here and now’ and in a practical frame of mind to work with. In contrast with a person of influence sending an already confused young person on a mystical ‘wild goose chase’ possibly resulting in causing that young person into “chasing their own tail.”

John 8: 31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
See this is what I like about the thread so far: theres no right answer that fits everyone's experience.

Some people benefit from simple self acceptance. Others from a deliberate self re-organization.

I think you may have answered the bonus question too. You were yourself, but you didnt quite know it until someone else revelated it to you.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
^ from article

"Authentic people are self-aware. They avoid blaming others for their own mistakes and accept their strengths and weaknesses. They show vulnerability, opening themselves up to others and connecting with people on a deep level.

Inauthentic people are quite the opposite.

Simply put, inauthentic people are fake."
Well, if it's written in the internet..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
See this is what I like about the thread so far: theres no right answer that fits everyone's experience.

Some people benefit from simple self acceptance. Others from a deliberate self re-organization.

I think you may have answered the bonus question too. You were yourself, but you didnt quite know it until someone else revelated it to you.

What does this revelation involve? Alternatively, perhaps the act is ours. We recognise our reflection in another.

Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The revelation was explained in the post I replied to.

Well not really. I interpreted this thread as a discussion about selfhood. Are we stable unitary selves? I'm thinking in terms of an experiencer realising its own subjectivity in infancy. In that case the revelation is just the recongition of subjectivity in another. Lacan might see it as a literal reflection - in the mirror. The body is a gestalt which embodies all the sensory impressions.
I hold more with the idea of an I-thou relationship. We need to see subjectivity. We become selves when we become aware of another subject of experience - not ourselves.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Well not really. I interpreted this thread as a discussion about selfhood. Are we stable unitary selves? I'm thinking in terms of an experiencer realising its own subjectivity in infancy. In that case the revelation is just the recongition of subjectivity in another. Lacan might see it as a literal reflection - in the mirror. The body is a gestalt which embodies all the sensory impressions.
I hold more with the idea of an I-thou relationship. We need to see subjectivity. We become selves when we become aware of another subject of experience - not ourselves.
The person I replied to described a revelatory experience of her sense of self, an "a ha" moment invoked via another person's wisdom.

Your interpretation of the question is one I'd not considered yet: the initial emergence of any sense of self. More "a self!" than "what self?"

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
a lot of people are not themselves

-they follow expectations & push their wants/needs aside
-they don't have time to learn who they are as they're busy fulfilling roles
-they look to others & imitate instead of being their individual self
- if one asks someone who they are, they might define themselves by their roles instead of who they actually are as an individual
etc

Exactly. You can't have very good discussion with someone who doesn't know who he is, what he wants.. they don't have strong opinions about anything really they go with the flow without thinking much anything. And this is enforced with these people when they mock people who are actually thinking for themselves "You have too much time to think" I mean, so thinking is a bad thing? Nothing good has ever become from not thinking lol

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0