Are those who deny eternal punishment doomed to Hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is not a sock puppet. Just because you can't see his posts, doesn't mean he can't see yours, nor does it mean that no one can see them either.
Wow. You really don't know what a sock puppet is. - lol

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
The Kingdom of His dear Son
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Did anyone already debate whether anyones sins actually are worth an eternity in a fiery pit? I don't think a just God could literally make us go to a Hell like that forever for the sins we have time to do during our short lives. After all, anything we do here is temporary, so should the punishment too.

The ungodly dogma of infinite results cascading from finite beings boggles the mind with a capital '"B". This is a good time for ! ! ! !

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Did anyone already debate whether anyones sins actually are worth an eternity in a fiery pit? I don't think a just God could literally make us go to a Hell like that forever for the sins we have time to do during our short lives. After all, anything we do here is temporary, so should the punishment too.
I had this to say on another thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No one deserves hell. NO ONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even a lifetime of the most horrendous sin imaginable should only earn a person a number of lifetimes locked up in a "humane" prison. (I know, I know...)

Eternal conscious torment in the Lake of Fire (bobbing in brimstone) with no hope of escape is unthinkable for even ten minutes.

Let's get this straight... I'm pretty sure God doesn't appreciate being characterized this way. I would rather be a Universal Restorationist and be wrong than a Damnationist and be right.

If I'm wrong, I will be happy to apologize to God for having such high regard for his character.

Reactions: FineLinen
Upvote 0

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow. You really don't know what a sock puppet is. - lol

He's a man whose existence you deny simply because he is on your ignore list and therefore can't see his posts. There are disadvantages to using that "ignore" tab in that it makes it appear as if posters are talking to themselves when in fact they are interacting with other participants whose posts you can't see.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He's a man whose existence you deny simply because he is on your ignore list and therefore can't see his posts. There are disadvantages to using that "ignore" tab in that it makes it appear as if posters are talking to themselves when in fact they are interacting with other participants whose posts you can't see.
I thought we were done with that conversation. Why do you persist?

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Four of the six
"The Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge"
by Schaff-Herzog, 1908, volume 12, page 96
German theologian- Philip Schaff writes :

"In the first five or six centuries of Christianity there were six theological schools, of which four (Alexandria, Antioch, Caesarea, and Edessa, or Nisibis) were Universalist, one (Ephesus) accepted conditional immortality; one (Carthage or Rome) taught endless punishment of the wicked. Other theological schools are mentioned as founded by Universalists, but their actual doctrine on this subject is not known."
This quote from Schaff-Herzog encyclopedia is often posted as "proof" that Universalism was the prominent view in the early church. But other than this quote there is no, zero, none evidence that this is true. Without evidence this is nothing but unsupported opinion.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are the one calling him a sock puppet whenever I cite from one of his posts.
It is wrong for you to cite someone's post when you know I have them on ignore.
I am using the tools provided by the forum. You are violating my wishes.
Your failure to understand is no excuse. Stop. (for the third time)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is wrong for you to cite someone's post when you know I have them on ignore.
I am using the tools provided by the forum. You are violating my wishes.
Your failure to understand is no excuse. Stop. (for the third time)

At least you admit that Der Alter is a real person and not someone I made up.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You dismissed him as imaginary, not me.

Focus son, focus.

Forget all rascals real & imaginary. Let's all join together and excel in the liberating dogma of "eternal" hell's and the creatures who applaud such thinking.

Question=

Do you think the Master of Reconciliation thinks more highly of broken pieces of fish and bread that nothing be lost/apollumi, but the ones for whom He makes atonement shall be lost?

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes into Him shall not be apollumi…”

God’s Utter Extravagance=

"To say that sin, assuming it to be opposed to God, has the power of creating a world antagonistic to God as everlasting as He is, attributes to it a power equal at least to His; since according to this view, souls whom God willed to be saved, and for whom Christ died, are held in bondage under the power of sin for ever; and all this in opposition to the Word of God, which says that God’s Son was “manifested that He might destroy the works of the devil…” -Andrew Jukes (The Restitution of all Things)

“To go on punishing for ever, simply for punishment’s sake, shocks every sentiment of justice. And the case is so much worse when the punishment is really the prolongation of evil, when it is but making evil endless.” -Thomas Allin, Christ Triumphant-

"The almighty maker of souls has various methods of restoring them to the divine image; it is impossible his power can fail; it is impossible for his image to be entirely obliterated; it is impossible that misery, sin, and discord can be eternal! –Alison R. Cockburn-

quote-when-we-sin-and-mess-up-our-lives-we-find-that-god-doesn-t-go-off-and-leave-us-he-enters-eugene-h-peterson-35-11-27.jpg

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Contenders Edge

Site Supporter
May 13, 2019
Hayfork
✟167,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Focus son, focus.

Forget all rascals real & imaginary. Let's all join together and excel in the liberating dogma of "eternal" hell's and the creatures who applaud such thinking.

Question=

Do you think the Master of Reconciliation thinks more highly of broken pieces of fish and bread that nothing be lost/apollumi, but the ones for whom He makes atonement shall be lost?

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever believes into Him shall not be apollumi…”

God’s Utter Extravagance=

"To say that sin, assuming it to be opposed to God, has the power of creating a world antagonistic to God as everlasting as He is, attributes to it a power equal at least to His; since according to this view, souls whom God willed to be saved, and for whom Christ died, are held in bondage under the power of sin for ever; and all this in opposition to the Word of God, which says that God’s Son was “manifested that He might destroy the works of the devil…” -Andrew Jukes (The Restitution of all Things)

“To go on punishing for ever, simply for punishment’s sake, shocks every sentiment of justice. And the case is so much worse when the punishment is really the prolongation of evil, when it is but making evil endless.” -Thomas Allin, Christ Triumphant-

"The almighty maker of souls has various methods of restoring them to the divine image; it is impossible his power can fail; it is impossible for his image to be entirely obliterated; it is impossible that misery, sin, and discord can be eternal! –Alison R. Cockburn-

quote-when-we-sin-and-mess-up-our-lives-we-find-that-god-doesn-t-go-off-and-leave-us-he-enters-eugene-h-peterson-35-11-27.jpg

When someone accuses me of something I have not done, I do not let them get away with it. I will seek to set the record straight. In this case, I was accused of making up an imaginary person. I could not let that stand and besides, I don't think the person who was called imaginary appreciated that either.

And it does not matter what your scholars say about eternal punishment. It is what the scripture says. Eternal punishment ends up being the fate of those for whom there is no other recourse because they have rebelled against their maker to their own destruction.

Christ will destroy the works of the devil, but that will also mean destroying those who have aligned themselves with him and served as Satan's vessels.

Upvote 0

FineLinen

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 15, 2003
✟528,512.00
Faith
Non-Denom
And it does not matter what your scholars say about eternal punishment. It is what the scripture says. Eternal punishment ends up being the fate of those for whom there is no other recourse because they have rebelled against their maker to their own destruction.

Christ will destroy the works of the devil, but that will also mean destroying those who have aligned themselves with him and served as Satan's vessels.

Nonsense!

What quality scholars of the koine presents does in fact matter. The koine is the foundation for the translations (s) upon which our letters of black & red are rooted.

All darkness (including what exists in every heart & mind) will be met by the Unlimited One. All dimensions (the radical all of pas) of the heavens, earth & underworld ultimately worships Him in union with His great Name.

Your word again for today = ta pavnte

Source, Guide, Goal of the all: NOT tis, ta pavnte!

• Winner
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FineLinen said:
Nonsense!
What quality scholars of the koine presents does in fact matter. The koine is the foundation for the translations (s) upon which our letters of black & red are rooted.
All darkness (including what exists in every heart & mind) will be met by the Unlimited One. All dimensions (the radical all of pas) of the heavens, earth & underworld ultimately worships Him in union with His great Name.
Your word again for today = ta pavnte
Source, Guide, Goal of the all: NOT tis, ta pavnte!
But it appears that the UR-ites posting here are not interested in "What quality scholars of the koine presents". They have consistently shown that they are only interested in writers, I will not dignify them with the title author, who say what UR-ites want to hear.
For example, what I quote below. I have posted it a few times and not one single UR-ite has responded.
Greek is now and has always been the language of the Eastern Greek Orthodox church. Who, better than the native Greek speaking EOB translators, knows the correct meaning of Greek words, e.g. “aionios” and “kolasis?”
Note, in the EOB, Paul uses “αιωνιως/aionios,” in 1 Tim 1:17 synonymous with “αιδιος/aidios” in Rom 1:20, see below.

The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible EOB—New Testament 96
Matthew 25:46 Then he will answer them saying ‘Amen. I tell you: as much as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' “These [[ones on the left]] will go away into eternal punishment.[κολασιν αιονιον/kolasin aiōnion] but the righteous into eternal life.

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world, his invisible things are clearly seen. They perceived through created things, even his everlasting [τε αιδιος/te aidios] power and divinity.

1 Timothy 1:17 Now, to the eternal [των αιωνων/tōn aiōnōn] King. immortal. invisible, to God who alone is wise, be honor and glory unto ages of ages. Amen.

https://azbyka.ru/otechnik/books/or...tament-(The-Eastern-Greek-Orthodox-Bible).pdf
The Eastern/Greek Orthodox Bible EOB—New Testament 96 can be D/L at the link above. If anyone chooses to consult the EOB version I suggest they read the preface which summarizes the extensive Greek scholarship supporting this translation.
In 1 Tim 1:17 Paul not only uses "aionios" synonymous with "aidios," in Rom 1:20, but also defines it by pairing it with "immortal" in the same verse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.