Are These Mainstream Doctrines In Need of Reform?

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You seemed to be associating me with jal, see quote:
You do not need to remind me what I posted I know what I posted. I suggest for the 2nd time that you go back a read my post carefully. The reference to your screen name was in Jal's post that I quoted. Everything I said in my post was addressed to Jal.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
begin quote
<Jal said>Is this just more ad hominem? Are you making any point here? Help me out, please, because I don't see one.
I simply pointed out what I see as the facts. I made several logical arguments showing the inadequacy of any epistemology that denies self-authentication - because, for starters, such doesn't even allow for conversion! A position that denies conversion is not a position at all. That's not an expression of contempt - it's a logically warranted conclusion, or at least arguably so.
And what do I get you from you in response? Ad hominem. In a word, contempt. No argument at all. No rebuttal of MY arguments.
Can we just back to the arguments please? On this thread I've already endured enough ad hominem for a whole lifetime.,<end>
You evidently do not know what an ad hominem is. I said nothing derogatory to or about you. I asked 2 questions about what I infer from you posts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2tim_215

Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2017
New York
✟105,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You do not need to remind me what I posted I know what I posted. I suggest for the 2nd time that you go back a read my post carefully. The reference to your screen name was in Jal's post that I quoted. Everything I said in my post was addressed to Jal.
I don't need to go back and look at it. I'll take your word for it. It surely read like you were including me in the same space as jal and I do not want to be there. I'd say that it should be pretty clear that we don't have the same views on faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't need to go back and look at it. I'll take your word for it. It surely read like you were including me in the same space as jal and I do not want to be there. I'd say that it should be pretty clear that we don't the same views on faith.
To be fair, there are actually two valid sources of faith. I rarely mention this fact because I'm trying to correct an improper balance. Meaning that, historically, the church has:
(1) Placed 5% emphasis on source1
(2) Placed 95% emphasis on source2
This is the exact reverse of the proper balance.

Ok so what are the two sources?
(1) "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing from the Word of Christ" (Rom 10:17). Example: 'The word of the Lord came to Abraham in a vision' (Gen 15:1). God's self-authenticating voice is the best source of faith. When fully loud and clear, it achieves 100% certainty. Generally you have to seek God in prayer as David did, to hear this voice at full volume.
(2) Self-generated faith, a kind of blind faith. This is foolishness, with one primary exception - when conscience DEMANDS it (because in the real sense, conscience/certainty is our only authority). So if your conscience is commanding you to trust in God (take a leap of faith), you're obligated. And God will test us on this (like it or not). Self-generated faith NEVER rises to 100% certainty, unless or until buttressed by source #1.

Mat 11:22-24 is a bit confusing because it blurs the distinction between the two sources, but the words in bold do at least signify 100% certainty:

"Have faith in God. If anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours."

If anyone could self-generate 100% certainty on his own, he could cast mountains into the sea at whim and will. In a word, he could control the world with such power. God is not going to allow such chaos. Therefore 100% certainty is possible only by divine fiat - generally we have to seek Him in prayer in order to get it. Remember when the disciples couldn't cast out the demon? Christ's counsel wasn't, 'Try to believe harder' but rather, 'Such cometh out only by prayer and by fasting.'

Unfortunately the church has been looking to the written Word as the primary source of faith. They say, 'Learn the promises, believe on them as hard as you can, and claim your blessing." Again, that's a complete reversal of the proper balance. Way too much emphasis on self-generated faith.

Upvote 0