TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
thanks for this honest answer. so you believe that a car can evolve naturally without any designer. of course, a self replicating car that made from organic components. now: who is have the burden of proof: someone that claim that a car (from this specific kind) can evolve naturally, or someone that claim that a car need a designer?

All claims have a burden of proof.

The difference is that the claim of evolution has met its burden of proof more then a century ago.

Creationists however, who've been making all kinds of claims about "designers" for millenia, never even came close to meeting their burden. In fact, i'ld even dare say to nobody ever even took an honest stab at trying to meet that burden.

remember: as far as we know any car is evidence for design

But in this silly analogy, we aren't talking about "any car". We are talking about cars as if they were a biological species with all the characteristics of any other biological species and none of the characteristics of actual manufactured mechanical cars.

Your dishonesty is showing....

how do you know that there is no selection for a car in nature? if a spinning motor can evolve then also a car can. this is again just a belief.

Cars are mechanical artificially manufactured objects that aren't subject to the laws and processes of bio-chemistry. They aren't even biological entities.

Your comparision is beyond ridiculous.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And yes 15 my in geological time is slight, but what this says is that Tik is NOT the transitional BETWEEN fish and tetrapods, which has been taught as true for decades. Dawkins called Tik the PERFECT example and let's face it, he was being opinionated, and has been proven incorrect.

Proven incorrect?

Can you explain to me how you made the jump from controversy about tetrapod tracks to Tik proven not correct? After all, you keep arguing that others make too strong of a case for their views on how evolution occurred. And yet you jump to words like proven when referring to the tetrapod tracks?

No, the claimed tetrapod tracks have not been proven to be tetrapod tracks before Tiktaalik. There is considerable controversy. And the latest seems to be that these are not actually tetrapod tracks. Previously this link was posted on this thread-- https://www.researchgate.net/public...itical_Review_of_Devonian_Tetrapod_Footprints . That makes a convincing case that these were not actually tetrapod tracks. This study may not be the final answer on the controversy, but it makes a convincing case. To ignore something like this, and insist the other side is proven, is simply wrong.

And again, when scientists use the word transitional, they do not mean a proven direct ancestor, but they mean a cousin of a direct ancestor, a close descendent of a direct ancestor. Tiktaalik is certainly a cousin of direct ancestors. Tiktaalik certainly has features close to its near ancestor that is the father of modern land dwelling creatures. Hence, even if the fossil tracks of 15 million years earlier are valid, that would not change the fact that Tiktaaalik is still a transitional as scientists use the word.

So for you to prove Dawkins is wrong about Tiktaalik you need to 1) make a convincing case that research such as that listed above is wrong, and 2) prove that Tiktaalik could not have been descended from a true ancestor of land walkers. I eagerly await your published research.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Regardless of if the tracks were of a semi terrestrial tetrapod, or some sort of lobe finned fish, regardless, what is key is the discovery of these fossils right there in the Devonian right there around 5 or so million years prior to eusthenopteron. Even the most controversial fossils, are still within close range of initial predictions.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
ok sarah, i will focus in the main points.

again, lets say that lucy indeed had this foot arch. it cant be evidence for evolution because two reasons:

1) we can find "modern" traits even among older primates. for instance: the long-nosed monkey have a human-like nose. but he actually more primitive then apes like the chimp or the gorila. so a modern trait (like the foot arch) mean nothing even according to evolution.
-_- the foot arch was relevant because it demonstrates that Lucy's species walked upright as their primary form of locomotion (along with their hip structure). You attempted to argue that the foot fossil belonged to a modern human. Are you going to change that position or are you just going to move the goal posts? Well?

Also, putting "modern" in quotes suggests to me even you know that another modern, non-human species having a nose superficially similar to our own is irrelevant. I mean, there's that fish that looks like it has a mouth full of human teeth http://tekshapers-twt-test.s3.amazo.../1c007f1b377e223ac5bb19eedb978656-450x338.jpg
Similar features can be produced via evolution in separate evolutionary lines. Just not identical in every regard (such as, the feature is produced via different genes in each species in question). The monkey you are referring to does not have a literal human nose. It has a very narrow nose with the eyes set close to it, and the nose shape is vaguely similar to that of some human noses (though, still far too narrow to match up to a human nose shape and the nostrils don't match up at all, and it takes up way too much of the length of the face... how were these noses alike again? https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/cf/be/16/cfbe1642a738d623484bf0030822db8d.jpg ).

Seriously, that monkey is no less evolved than we are. Evolution doesn't have predetermined goals it progresses to, what survives and reproduces persists, and what dies and/or fails to reproduce doesn't. It's that simple. Plus, it would make sense that species we shared ancestry with would also share some similar traits to us, roughly in proportion to how recently the genetic lines diverged.

2)we can find the same progress in human-made objects. but it doesnt prove any evolution.
"Progress" in nonliving things doesn't work through the same processes as evolutionary change in living organisms. As a result, the situations aren't comparable, so it is irrelevant that the progress in say, computer technology, isn't evidence for evolution. Of course it's not, why would it ever be?

1) i think that we can do that. you may check this argument here:

the self replicating watch argument
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/the-self-replicating-watch-argument.8005539/
We've all seen this argument before, and I know for a fact that people on this site, myself included, have shown you its flaws. How stupid/forgetful do you think I am? I'm not going to humor you on a debate topic that you abandon every time people defeat you. In any case, this argument isn't evidence for anything except the stubbornness of some creationists in insisting on using it.

The so called "self replicating watch" does not exist. It is a hypothetical organism. No one is obligated to address a hypothetical situation, especially not one that produces an argument this deeply flawed. If the "watch" has any traits that living organisms don't, or it lacks one or more of the basic traits that all living organisms have, then it has no relevance to evolution. If the "watch" doesn't have any traits or lack basic traits that living organisms have, then there is no reason that this hypothetical organism couldn't hypothetically evolve under hypothetical selection pressures along with hypothetical mutations. That it doesn't actually exist doesn't make evolution invalid, because evolution isn't "all possible organisms will exist eventually in a given environment", only that what survives and reproduces successfully persists in future generation.

2)you also need to prove that evolution can change a reptile into a mammal to consider this as a valid possibility.
-_- there is no such thing as "proof" in science. Not in physics, chemistry, biology, or any other scientific field. It's evidence that matters in science. However, I have a little test for you. I am going to post 5 images. You need to tell me, without trying to Google image search, if these skeletons belong to a reptile, or a mammal. Of course, I have no means of telling if you are honest or not about this challenge, but YOU will know if you could tell them apart. You don't even have to tell me precisely which ones are reptiles and which are mammals, you can just separate them into two different groups, and I'll be able to tell if you separated them correctly.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Sauroctonus_parringtoni_01.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Belesodon_magnificus.JPG
https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/oleary2HR.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Lystrosaurus_1.JPG
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.co...04ce83e43415--dinosaur-fossils-prehistory.jpg

To expand further, evolution is like a mountain slowly growing where two tectonic plates are pushing together. While we have not observed the majority of, say, Mt. Everest's growth, we can measure its current, relatively consistent growth, and, in knowing the consistency, make the reasonable conclusion that the mountain used to be half its current size.

they are both possible according to evolution. we can push back even the entire fossil record.
-_- your first statement is entirely false, and you have yet to support the idea that, say, a rabbit fossil could be found in a Cambrian rock layer and be legitimate, and yet evolution wouldn't be disproven. I am 1 semester away from being a part of the scientific community that makes these types of calls, and I am telling you that you are wrong. If you refuse to acknowledge the simple fact that I have more knowledge on this subject than you do, or to even provide a legitimate source for your claim, I will refuse to acknowledge this empty claim you keep making. Empty claims have no place in debates; they belong in the trash.

in this case we can claim for different selection pressure that made this result (for instance we can say that reptiles genomes was changed much more faster then mammals and amphibians).
Mammals, reptiles, and amphibians often share the same environments, and thus experience approximately the SAME selection pressures. It wouldn't make any sense for a desert mouse and a desert lizard to evolve at drastically different paces, and even if they did, that wouldn't make mammals falsely appear to have evolved from reptiles. It'd err on making them seem even more evolutionarily distant.

or even claiming for convergent evolution between mammals and amphibians.
Convergent evolution makes outward appearance and function similar. Not genetics or, say, skeletal structure. Convergent evolution is easily distinguished from two organisms sharing recent ancestry because the similarities that arise through convergent evolution are very superficial. For example, consider sharks and dolphins. https://media.mnn.com/assets/images/2016/02/convergent-dolphinshark.jpg.990x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Outwardly, sharks and dolphins look very similar, and tend to exist in similar ecological niches.
This is a dolphin skeleton: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/20/12/3f/20123f751159b826204fa8622b30e85f.jpg
This is a shark "skeleton" of the thickest cartilage regions https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/57/36/f1/5736f1dcf71a239edae938a3bbb7fd9f.jpg

Dolphins and sharks are, likewise, relatively genetically dissimilar to each other, despite similarities in their outward appearance. Hence, this is a case of convergent evolution.

Mammals and amphibians don't even appear alike, so why are you bringing up convergent evolution? Do you not understand what convergent evolution is?

But I think you have dodged my questions enough, so answer this, before you address anything else. Make a separate post just for this: upon what factors did you judge the Protoavis fossil to be legitimate, and the A. afarensis fossil not legitimate? If you refuse to answer this question, I will refuse to respond to you further.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Origin of Species being explicitly banned seems to be a misunderstanding that stems from certain ban requirements left to the discretion of the libraries given them. Namely, that " All writings that ridicule, belittle or besmirch the Christian religion and its institution, faith in God, or other things that are holy to the healthy sentiments of the people" were banned"

This is exactly what I mean. I have ONLY heard this claim from atheists with an agenda. Hitler HATED Christianity
Unless you think Catholics aren't Christian somehow, that makes no sense. Why would he have all texts that criticized Christianity banned if he hated the religion? Perhaps you are confusing Hitler with Stalin, who I think did ban open practice of religion.

Furthermore, as I explained to you, it seems to be an easy misunderstanding to make. Some people consider Origin of Species a text that belittles the Christian religion or is an outright threat to it, and misreading the other ban requirement I read would easily make someone accidentally think Darwin's work was specifically banned (rather than texts that made social commentary about the subject of evolution in general). Not every error people make is intentional. For example, when people mine quotes, they very rarely take those quotes out of the original source themselves.

(considered it a bastard child of Jewry) therefore that never was an aspect the Nazis considered.
Then why did the standard issue Nazi army belt buckles say "God with us" in German? Why was the Pope at the time a Nazi ally? Why does Hitler thank the Christian god for many things in Mein Kampf? Do you get all your information about history from Christian apologetics websites? I get not wanting something you label yourself by to be associated with Hitler, but there will always be terrible people with whom you agree on some matter or another, including religion. Stalin was an atheist, but that doesn't make me, an independent person that also happens to be an atheist, as terrible a person as Stalin. It doesn't mean that being an atheist was what made Stalin a heartless monster either. No matter how you group people, you'll find bad apples.

ALL libraries in Germany were under the control of their edicts (and they had better have not been caught ignoring them)

"I wouldn't be shocked if some libraries burned Origin of Species, while others didn't."

But since there is not one iota of evidence even indicating this took place we can eliminate that assumption as well.
I'm not assuming that Origin of Species was burned in Nazi Germany even a single time, only that, when I read the rules on what books are banned, it seems unclear as to whether or not that text should be placed on the ban list. It's not like the person making these decisions read through every book just to make extra sure that they didn't burn "unoffensive" material. Personally, I'd err in burning more books than necessary rather than risk being caught with a book that "should have" been burned. Would you think that the Origin of Species broke either or both of the two edicts I posted? Why or why not?

There's also the matter of the independent (and often student run) committees that organized book burnings independently of the Nazi government that generally sought to destroy books that didn't have German authors. Since Darwin wasn't German, it seems quite plausible that his work would have been burned at these book burnings.
Since the books confiscated by the college students didn't have the same exact standard as the ones confiscated by the government, perhaps this adds to the confusion.

I already said that I would cease to state in debates that Origin of Species was on the Nazi burn list, due to the uncertainty as to whether this text was burned or not. I don't think we need to really debate on that matter anymore, honestly.

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟467,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting movie.

A government leader who promoted his ethnicity as the dominant group, sought to suppress dissent, and made it a crime to criticize the regime? Hmmm, why does that sound so familiar? Are we repeating history?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Proven incorrect?

Can you explain to me how you made the jump from controversy about tetrapod tracks to Tik proven not correct? After all, you keep arguing that others make too strong of a case for their views on how evolution occurred. And yet you jump to words like proven when referring to the tetrapod tracks?

No, the claimed tetrapod tracks have not been proven to be tetrapod tracks before Tiktaalik. There is considerable controversy. And the latest seems to be that these are not actually tetrapod tracks. Previously this link was posted on this thread-- https://www.researchgate.net/public...itical_Review_of_Devonian_Tetrapod_Footprints . That makes a convincing case that these were not actually tetrapod tracks. This study may not be the final answer on the controversy, but it makes a convincing case. To ignore something like this, and insist the other side is proven, is simply wrong.

And again, when scientists use the word transitional, they do not mean a proven direct ancestor, but they mean a cousin of a direct ancestor, a close descendent of a direct ancestor. Tiktaalik is certainly a cousin of direct ancestors. Tiktaalik certainly has features close to its near ancestor that is the father of modern land dwelling creatures. Hence, even if the fossil tracks of 15 million years earlier are valid, that would not change the fact that Tiktaaalik is still a transitional as scientists use the word.

So for you to prove Dawkins is wrong about Tiktaalik you need to 1) make a convincing case that research such as that listed above is wrong, and 2) prove that Tiktaalik could not have been descended from a true ancestor of land walkers. I eagerly await your published research.

Again with the typical "prove a negative" default...transitional actually means in between...from one to another (regardless of how Evolutionary Biologists have poured new meaning into this commonly understood term)...and TIK is not in between (does not occur after fish and before tetrapods but after both) so Dawkins was incorrect (no additional opinion is necessary just reality)

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Again with the typical "prove a negative" default...transitional actually means in between...from one to another (regardless of how Evolutionary Biologists have poured new meaning into this commonly understood term)...and TIK is not in between (does not occur after fish and before tetrapods but after both) so Dawkins was incorrect (no additional opinion is necessary just reality)

That is not the meaning of transitional fossil. We have been over this. The meaning is quite clear. You do not get to change the meaning of a word on your own. Tiktaalik is transitional whether you like it or not.

Here, this might help:

What Is A Transitional Fossil?

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ye
That is not the meaning of transitional fossil. We have been over this. The meaning is quite clear. You do not get to change the meaning of a word on your own. Tiktaalik is transitional whether you like it or not.

Here, this might help:

What Is A Transitional Fossil?

Yes I see how later in the article they have changed it so that it now can apply...I already know. They did the same thing with "species" and other terms...

They repeat this twice so pay attention...

"a transition from one group (in this case fish) of species to another group of species (in this case tetrapods)" and then also"sorted into either a "before the transition" pile, or a "after the transition" pile. A transitional fossil is one that falls between the two piles."

Between, between, between....if not between then NOT transitional (caps for emphasis not emotion)

(parentheses mine)

The true meaning is so unavoidable they MUST include it so the masses are not alerted to the deception when they later add the wiggle room to get around cases like Tik...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Ye

Yes I see how later in the article they have changed it so that it now can apply...I already know. They did the same thing with "species" and other terms...

They repeat this twice so pay attention...

"a transition from one group (in this case fish) of species to another group of species (in this case tetrapods)" and then also"sorted into either a "before the transition" pile, or a "after the transition" pile. A transitional fossil is one that falls between the two piles."

Between, between, between....if not between then NOT transitional (caps for emphasis not emotion)

(parentheses mine)

The true meaning is so unavoidable they MUST include it so the masses are not alerted to the deception when they later add the wiggle room to get around cases like Tik...

There was no change. You simply have always had a poor understanding of the term. And the "falls in between" is its form. It does not have to fall in between in time. The meaning that you keep trying to use is not the "true meaning". It is only a strawman that you like to pound on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There was no change. You simply have always had a poor understanding of the term. And the "falls in between" is its form. It does not have to fall in between in time. The meaning that you keep trying to use is not the "true meaning". It is only a strawman that you like to pound on.

Have it your way...I understand both usages of the term.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Unless you think Catholics aren't Christian somehow, that makes no sense. Why would he have all texts that criticized Christianity banned if he hated the religion? Perhaps you are confusing Hitler with Stalin, who I think did ban open practice of religion.

Then why did the standard issue Nazi army belt buckles say "God with us" in German? Why was the Pope at the time a Nazi ally? Why does Hitler thank the Christian god for many things in Mein Kampf? Do you get all your information about history from Christian apologetics websites? I get not wanting something you label yourself by to be associated with Hitler, but there will always be terrible people with whom you agree on some matter or another, including religion. Stalin was an atheist, but that doesn't make me, an independent person that also happens to be an atheist, as terrible a person as Stalin. It doesn't mean that being an atheist was what made Stalin a heartless monster either. No matter how you group people, you'll find bad apples.

I'm not assuming that Origin of Species was burned in Nazi Germany even a single time, only that, when I read the rules on what books are banned, it seems unclear as to whether or not that text should be placed on the ban list. It's not like the person making these decisions read through every book just to make extra sure that they didn't burn "unoffensive" material. Personally, I'd err in burning more books than necessary rather than risk being caught with a book that "should have" been burned. Would you think that the Origin of Species broke either or both of the two edicts I posted? Why or why not?

Just as a matter of clarity, Hitler was clearly not pro-Christian simply because he was European, or Baptized as a German Catholic (you shall know them by their fruits) and many genuine Christians in Germany at the time fought against his form of terrorism even to their own demise, others hid Jewish families and helped them escape as often as circumstance allowed. Others were lamely sucked into his propaganda plan. It was no secret that Hitler hated Christians at the time, Goebbels again once said,

"The Fuhrer is deeply religious, though completely anti-Christian. He views Christianity as a symptom of decay…It is a branch of the Jewish race... Both [Judaism and Christianity] have no point of contact to the animal element, and thus, in the end, they will be destroyed."

"The National Church demands immediate cessation of the publishing…the Bible in Germany…”

"On the altars there must be nothing but 'Mein Kampf' and to the left of the altar a sword.”

"On the day of its foundation, the Christian Cross must be removed from all churches, cathedrals and chapels...and it must be superseded by the only unconquerable symbol, the swastika."

These quotations are taken from The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, by William L. Shirer, in the section entitled "Triumph and Consolidation", in the subsection "The Persecution of the Christian Churches". Please do not take my word for this but rather go and explore these things for yourself before it is too late.

Hitler himself expressed his disdain for Christians and Christianity quite openly later on. The dozen or so times he made reference to God and the/or the Church early on, he was merely doing so as a propaganda device to manipulate the masses who were mostly nominal Christians who had been greatly liberalized by the popular so-called “Critical-School” which though claiming to be scientific and historical was and is neither. In Hitler's Secret Conversations 1941-1944 (published by Farrar, Straus and Young, Inc. first edition, 1953). a translation of the "Bormann-Vermerke"! According to Bormann (Hitler's personal secretary), Hitler said

The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity.... Let it not be said that Christianity brought man the life of the soul, for that evolution was in the natural order of things.” (p 6 & 7)

Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of the human failure. “(p 43)

The best thing is to let Christianity die a natural death.... When understanding of the universe has become widespread... Christian doctrine will be convicted of absurdity.... Christianity has reached the peak of absurdity.... And that's why someday its structure will collapse.... ...the only way to get rid of Christianity is to allow it to die little by little.... Christianity the liar.... We'll see to it that the Churches cannot spread abroad teachings in conflict with the interests of the State.” (p 49-52)

"It is deplorable that the Bible should have been translated into German, and that the whole of the German people should have thus become exposed to the whole of this Jewish mumbo-jumbo. So long as the wisdom, particularly of the Old Testament, remained exclusively in the Latin of the Church, there was little danger that sensible people would become the victims of illusions as the result of studying the Bible. But since the Bible became common property, a whole heap of people have found opened to them lines of religious thought which - particularly in conjunction with the German characteristic of persistent and somewhat melancholy meditation - as often as not turned them into religious maniacs. When one recollects further that the Catholic Church has elevated to the status of Saints a whole number of madmen, one realizes why movements such as that of the Flagellants came inevitably into existence in the Middle Ages in Germany. "As a sane German, one is flabbergasted to think that German human beings could have let themselves be brought to such a pass by Jewish filth and priestly twaddle, that they were little different from the howling dervish of the Turks and the negroes, at whom we laugh so scornfully." (p 543)

"Why not [make peace with the churches]? That will not prevent me from totally uprooting Christianity in Germany and eliminating it lock, stock and barrel. It is, however, decisive for our people whether they have the Judeo-Christian faith and its flabby morality of sympathy, or a strong, heroic faith in god in nature, in god in one's own people, in god in one's own fate, in one's own blood. ... One is either a Christian or a German. One can't be both."

Here are the Lyrics to a Hitler Youth marching song (Grunberger, A Social History) recorded in The Third Reich: a New History, Pan, 2001

“We follow not Christ, but Horst Wessel,

Away with incense and Holy Water,

The Church can go hang for all we care,

The Swastika brings salvation on Earth.”

No Sarah, you must not believe the lies the post-Darwinians have told you. They want you to think if possible that Hitler was a Christian sympathizer so you will think Christians are the fascists and post-Darwinians are opposed to his philosophy, but the opposite is true. Hitler was a Darwinian and was nowhere near to being a Christian. He was fulfilling the dream and expressed intent of people like Huxley, Spencer, Nietzsche, Sanger, and all the other atheist social prophets of Europe and America of his day! He was only making what they believed was good for the human race, come to pass (which of course was the Caucasian race…even though science knows no such thing as race).

• Haha
Reactions: doubtingmerle
Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting movie.

A government leader who promoted his ethnicity as the dominant group, sought to suppress dissent, and made it a crime to criticize the regime? Hmmm, why does that sound so familiar? Are we repeating history?

yes this has happened many times I am sure (perhaps minus the book burnings)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is only one properly use usage. Yours is a strawman that creationists use.

Have it your way...I understand both usages of the term. Bears have features that could be considered similar to dogs and to humans but they are not transitional...it depends on what the INTERPRETER wants to focus on as important...and they are certainly NOT in-between as YOUR article would define as transitional.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Have it your way...I understand both usages of the term. Bears have features that could be considered similar to dogs and to humans but they are not transitional...it depends on what the INTERPRETER wants to focus on as important...and they are certainly NOT in-between as YOUR article would define as transitional.

Sorry, an unsupported claim is worthless. What features do bears and humans share that that dogs don't? What features do bears and dogs share that humans don't?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just as a matter of clarity, Hitler was clearly not pro-Christian simply because he was European, or Baptized as a German Catholic (you shall know them by their fruits) and many genuine Christians in Germany at the time fought against his form of terrorism even to their own demise, others hid Jewish families and helped them escape as often as circumstance allowed. Others were lamely sucked into his propaganda plan. It was no secret that Hitler hated Christians at the time, Goebbels again once said,

"The Fuhrer is deeply religious, though completely anti-Christian. He views Christianity as a symptom of decay…It is a branch of the Jewish race... Both [Judaism and Christianity] have no point of contact to the animal element, and thus, in the end, they will be destroyed."

"The National Church demands immediate cessation of the publishing…the Bible in Germany…”

"On the altars there must be nothing but 'Mein Kampf' and to the left of the altar a sword.”

"On the day of its foundation, the Christian Cross must be removed from all churches, cathedrals and chapels...and it must be superseded by the only unconquerable symbol, the swastika."

These quotations are taken from The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, by William L. Shirer, in the section entitled "Triumph and Consolidation", in the subsection "The Persecution of the Christian Churches". Please do not take my word for this but rather go and explore these things for yourself before it is too late.

Hitler himself expressed his disdain for Christians and Christianity quite openly later on. The dozen or so times he made reference to God and the/or the Church early on, he was merely doing so as a propaganda device to manipulate the masses who were mostly nominal Christians who had been greatly liberalized by the popular so-called “Critical-School” which though claiming to be scientific and historical was and is neither. In Hitler's Secret Conversations 1941-1944 (published by Farrar, Straus and Young, Inc. first edition, 1953). a translation of the "Bormann-Vermerke"! According to Bormann (Hitler's personal secretary), Hitler said

The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity.... Let it not be said that Christianity brought man the life of the soul, for that evolution was in the natural order of things.” (p 6 & 7)

Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of the human failure. “(p 43)

The best thing is to let Christianity die a natural death.... When understanding of the universe has become widespread... Christian doctrine will be convicted of absurdity.... Christianity has reached the peak of absurdity.... And that's why someday its structure will collapse.... ...the only way to get rid of Christianity is to allow it to die little by little.... Christianity the liar.... We'll see to it that the Churches cannot spread abroad teachings in conflict with the interests of the State.” (p 49-52)

"It is deplorable that the Bible should have been translated into German, and that the whole of the German people should have thus become exposed to the whole of this Jewish mumbo-jumbo. So long as the wisdom, particularly of the Old Testament, remained exclusively in the Latin of the Church, there was little danger that sensible people would become the victims of illusions as the result of studying the Bible. But since the Bible became common property, a whole heap of people have found opened to them lines of religious thought which - particularly in conjunction with the German characteristic of persistent and somewhat melancholy meditation - as often as not turned them into religious maniacs. When one recollects further that the Catholic Church has elevated to the status of Saints a whole number of madmen, one realizes why movements such as that of the Flagellants came inevitably into existence in the Middle Ages in Germany. "As a sane German, one is flabbergasted to think that German human beings could have let themselves be brought to such a pass by Jewish filth and priestly twaddle, that they were little different from the howling dervish of the Turks and the negroes, at whom we laugh so scornfully." (p 543)

"Why not [make peace with the churches]? That will not prevent me from totally uprooting Christianity in Germany and eliminating it lock, stock and barrel. It is, however, decisive for our people whether they have the Judeo-Christian faith and its flabby morality of sympathy, or a strong, heroic faith in god in nature, in god in one's own people, in god in one's own fate, in one's own blood. ... One is either a Christian or a German. One can't be both."

Here are the Lyrics to a Hitler Youth marching song (Grunberger, A Social History) recorded in The Third Reich: a New History, Pan, 2001

No Sarah, you must not believe the lies the post-Darwinians have told you. They want you to think if possible that Hitler was a Christian sympathizer so you will think Christians are the fascists and post-Darwinians are opposed to his philosophy, but the opposite is true. Hitler was a Darwinian and was nowhere near to being a Christian. He was fulfilling the dream and expressed intent of people like Huxley, Spencer, Nietzsche, Sanger, and all the other atheist social prophets of Europe and America of his day! He was only making what they believed was good for the human race, come to pass (which of course was the Caucasian race…even though science knows no such thing as race).
Sorry, but it has been shown time and again that Hitler was not a "Darwinian". And he was more of a Christian than any other religion. I can find countless quotes of his where he affirms his Christian faith. All you have are quotes by others, and quotes from "Hitler's Table Talks". The latter is not well respected these days:

"In 2016 historian Mikael Nilsson argued that Trevor-Roper failed to disclose source-critical problems, including evidence that significant portions of the English translation were translated directly from Genoud's French edition and not the original German Bormann-Vermerke, as claimed by Trevor-Roper in his preface. Nilsson maintains that this information was likely known to Trevor-Roper, because it was laid out in the publishing contract that the "translation into English will be made on the basis of the French version by François Genoud..." Nilsson concludes that, "the translation process was highly doubtful; the history of the manuscript from conception to publication is mysterious at best, and it is impossible to be sure that the majority of the entries are in fact authentic (that is, actual statements by Hitler as opposed to things he could have said)."[11] For this reason Nilsson argues that Hitler should not be listed as its author because it is not clear "how much of it is Hitler's words as they were spoken, and how much is a product of the later recollection and editing process.""

Hitler's Table Talk - Wikipedia

What he clearly did not like were churches that opposed him and he seemed to want to make his own version of Christianity, but then a lot of sects began that way. Though he eventually dropped this plan:

"Hitler's table talk reveals his continued to wish for a unified Protestant Reich Church of Germany for some time after 1937, which had largely proven unsuccessful.[27] This was in line with his earlier policy of uniting all the Protestant churches so they would purvey the new racial and nationalist doctrines of the regime and act as a unifying rather than divisive force in Germany.[28] By 1940 Hitler had abandoned even the syncretist idea of a positive Christianity.[29] According to Thomas Childers, after 1938 Hitler began to publicly support a Nazified version of science, particularly social Darwinism, at the core of Nazi ideology in place of a religious one[30]—a development that is reflected in his increasingly hostile remarks towards religion in the Table Talk.[31] Historian Richard Weikart characterized Hitler's belief in "evolutionary ethics as the expression of the will of God" who routinely "equated the laws of nature and the will of Providence."

In other words, he did not oppose Christianity, he opposed organized Christianity. Also if anything he was a "Social Darwinist". And that has as much to do with evolution as Nazism has to do with communism. Yes, the both have the word "socialist" associated with them, but that is about all.

By the way if you can claim that Hitler was not a Christian because of "his fruits" then Stalin was not an atheist for the same reason. You need to take the good with the bad when you make claims about your religion.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Not sure why you didn't just post the full quote "The National Church demands immediate cessation of the publishing and dissemination of the Bible", which was part of Alfred Rosenburg's 30 point program for the National Reich Church. Not a shocking point from him, given he actually was known for his extreme hatred of Christianity. He was Hitler's stand in for running the Nazi party while he was in prison, and Hitler appointed him to that position because he thought the guy wouldn't become all that popular. Fair enough, plenty of people found him distasteful. While Alfred Rosenburg was appointed to a few high up political offices, it is noted that his overall influence was fairly minimal.

More from Alfred Rosenburg. You do realize this wasn't actually enacted, right? The bible was not taken out of German churches (at least, not the New Testament).

Still Alfred Rosenburg.

Oh, I did, which is why I know all this is from Alfred Rosenburg, not Hitler himself. Hitler tried to play it safe too much when it came to Christianity to dare do something that extreme. You don't maintain popularity in a majority Christian nation by opposing Christianity in your legislation.

Hitler himself expressed his disdain for Christians and Christianity quite openly later on. The dozen or so times he made reference to God and the/or the Church early on, he was merely doing so as a propaganda device to manipulate the masses who were mostly nominal Christians who had been greatly liberalized by the popular so-called “Critical-School” which though claiming to be scientific and historical was and is neither. In Hitler's Secret Conversations 1941-1944 (published by Farrar, Straus and Young, Inc. first edition, 1953). a translation of the "Bormann-Vermerke"!

According to Bormann (Hitler's personal secretary), Hitler said

And he would say this to his secretary why? Be sure to note that quote implies a belief in souls, which is generally not something atheists believe in.

Yeah, because people talk like that in casual conversation :doh:Yes, the status of Hitler's personal religious beliefs are questionable, but by no means is he demonstrably an atheist. And frankly, even if he was, relevance? You know that not every terrible person in history was an atheist, or even a non-Christian. Furthermore, it's demonstrable that being a Christian doesn't make people less likely to commit crime or be degenerates.

No Sarah, you must not believe the lies the post-Darwinians have told you.
Uh, it wasn't evolution supporters that dictated my education on WWII history. Why would I go to people working in biology for a history lessen about Hitler?
Also, that source of yours is the only one I can find that has that Hitler Youth marching song. It definitely wasn't part of the official marching song of the Hitler Youth or any other Nazi organization. Nazi songs - Wikipedia It is also a bit too short to be a marching song by itself. This song that was extensively used by the Nazi SS has Christian influence Wenn alle untreu werden - Wikipedia This isn't a part of Vorwärts! Vorwärts! schmettern die hellen Fanfaren, which is another Hitler Youth song. If that ever was in a Nazi marching song, it must not have been a popular one. The closest song I can find to the one you are presenting is Horst-Wessel-Lied, and the only similarity is that Horst Wessel is mentioned in the song you posted, and his name is in the title of this song. Additionally, the only Nazi songs of this nature that I find that even mention whom the singer is supposed to follow state to follow the Reich, Hitler, or Germany.

They want you to think if possible that Hitler was a Christian sympathizer so you will think Christians are the fascists and post-Darwinians are opposed to his philosophy, but the opposite is true.
No, I would think that Hitler was a Christian fascist, not that fascism and Christianity have any connection with each other. Although, it is worth noting that fascists viewed communism (a political ideology that generally opposes all religion) as a threat, with Hitler's and Stalin's truce ending quite quickly. Furthermore, evolution doesn't have any philosophy. No scientific theory in biology does. In fact, the only scientific fields I can think of that would even have theories related to philosophy are Anthropology (which would study the role philosophy played in human societies), and Psychology (study how personal philosophies develop over time as we age). Philosophy itself is not actually a scientific field.

Hitler was a Darwinian and was nowhere near to being a Christian.
There's no real way to tell either way. The only person that can clarify Hitler's personal beliefs is Hitler, and he's been dead for decades. But, this debate is ultimately a waste of time, really. Hitler being an atheist evolution supporter wouldn't make atheism or evolution immoral inherently, even if he attempted to use them as a justification for his actions. Heck, why would I mention that Stalin was an open atheist if I thought that some bad people being atheists made atheism as a whole immoral? The majority of people, both theists and atheists, do not commit crimes. The majority of humanity mostly stays neutral, with small acts of kindness and malice throughout the week. The majority of evolution supporters do not condone Hitler's actions, even at the time at which he committed them.

He was fulfilling the dream and expressed intent of people like Huxley, Spencer, Nietzsche, Sanger, and all the other atheist social prophets of Europe and America of his day!
Sanger: Can't confirm or deny if she was an atheist or a theist. Heavily criticized religious arguments against birth control, but also presented religious people that supported the use of birth control in a positive light. Based on her actions, I would say that she certainly wasn't strongly religious, if at all. No connection with evolution, extreme distaste of the actions of the Nazi regime. Openly OPPOSED forms of birth control through the killing of people, making it ironic that 4 years after her death, Planned Parenthood would begin to provide abortions.

Aldous Huxley: Agnostic spiritualist heavily associated with the Vedanta Society of Southern California (Indian religion). A social satirist that often wrote about dystopian futures. No connection with evolution, eugeneics, or the Nazi regime. No implications or statements of hating Christianity or religion in general.

Friedrich Nietzsche: Philosophy deems Christianity harmful to people, as it demands that people ignore innate desires. Died in 1900. No connection to evolution. No connection to the Nazi regime. Likely an atheist. Most people have a strong reaction to his philosophy. Personally, it's not for me.

Herbert Spencer: Literally the only name you listed related to evolution at all. Influence dropped drastically after 1900, so much so that I heavily doubt he influenced the Nazis. This is the guy that coined the "survival of the fittest" term, so I do dislike that for how easy it is to misinterpret. This guy was a deist.

By the way, you cannot claim that any of these people were responsible for Hitler wanting to kill off Jewish people. It's highly unlikely that he even read anything by Sanger or Spencer. Huxley's first published novel had the same publishing year as when Hitler became the head of the Nazi party (1921) so his influence would have likely been minimal at most. Huxley used some of his excess earnings from his novels to transport Jewish people out of Nazi germany, so definitely not a Nazi sympathizer. So, out of the people you mentioned, the only person that it would be possible to state had a great influence on Hitler was Nietzsche... so where's Hitler quoting Nietzsche or his philosophy?

He was only making what they believed was good for the human race, come to pass (which of course was the Caucasian race…even though science knows no such thing as race).
It sincerely wouldn't matter to me if Hitler was a homosexual atheist that got his kicks from dressing up as an infant and crapping himself. However, I would need evidence that supported he was that to believe it. Additionally, very few people seek to harm humanity as a whole, and even fewer with that mindset manage to hold a political office. Hitler's "ends" will never justify his means.

Hitler's actions and upbringing heavily suggest that he was Catholic. Then, many years later, people close to him claimed he had anti-Christian sentiments. Makes for great book writing, I am sure they got a lot of money for it. I'm skeptical of the accounts.

However, it annoys me that you muddy the names of dead people that had nothing to do with the Nazis. Seriously, instead of getting a list of "offenders" off of some Christian apologetics site, how about actually looking up atheists and academics that served the Nazi regime? There were quite a few religion haters that I saw while looking stuff up. However, I think we have derailed this thread enough. It's not about Hitler, you know, it's about transitional fossils.

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes like Darwin's family and followers the Nazis interpreted his works as implying "Darwinism" and they supported Euthanasia, abortion for non-Germanic women, genetic manipulation, government control of education and children, and more...the idea of categorizing types of humans came from The Descent of Man and they took this to an extreme...Slavs and Lithuanians were treated as servant class (some had to work in concentration camps and please I personally knew some of them), people of African descent were closest to apes and 1000s of males were castrated based on this belief ...German women were subject to government obligation to have babies for the Reich...yeah this is real Christian...

Upvote 0