Are the three one?

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
I have seen, I suppose 100 attempts to "explain" this. I have seen this as an endless debate and discussion in apologetics and elsewhere. Some of the explanations make sense to me, some make sense to others. But the truth is there is really no way for the finite mind to fully comprehend this. But it IS a clear teaching of the Word of God, in my opinion.

Since this is the Full Time Ministry Forum, I am assuming you are being asked this by someone you are witnessing to or teaching Bible to.

If you are trying to answer this for someone you are trying to lead to Jesus, don't. That is just a way of getting you off the real topis, the one of a need for Jesus, much like the old, "where did Cain get his wife" question. None of that matters, and you should direct them back onto the topic.

If you are attempting to explain this to a class of believers, I will list a few of the many attempts to exlain it. But IMO, it is still way down on the list of importance. There are a great many things in the Bible we believe, by faith, but cannot explain in human terms. This is another one.

Upvote 0

tericl2

A Work in Progress
Feb 2, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Visit site
✟1,594.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think it can be explained, at least not acceptably to human logic. Here are a couple sites that will give you good Biblical reasoning.

Christian Answers

What is the Trinity?

Often people arguing against the Trinity will use the 1+1+1=3, not 1 argument. If they do try that remind them that 1x1x1=1. Hope the sites help you out. :wave:

Upvote 0

pax

Veteran
Apr 3, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟2,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Here is a story about St. Augustine, one of the Fathers of the Church and his search for an explanation about how the trinity worked.

St. Augustine, studied the mystery of the Holy Trinity and although he was at his wits' end, he still could not comprehend it. One day he was walking on the sandy beach by the ocean. There churned in his mind the mystery of the Holy Trinity. He was talking to himself: "One God, but three Persons. Three Persons--not three Gods but one God. What does it mean? How can it be explained? How can my mind take it in?" And so he was torturing his mind and beating his brains out, when he saw a little boy on the beach. He approached him to see what he was doing.

The child had dug a small hole in the sand. With his little hands he was carrying water from the ocean and was dumping it in the little hole. St. Augustine asked, "What are you doing, my child?" The child replied, "I want to put all of the water of the ocean into this hole." Once more St. Augustine asked, "But is it possible for all of the water of this great ocean to be contained in this little hole?" And the child asked him in return, "If the water of the ocean cannot be contained in this little hole, then how can the Infinite Trinitarian God be contained in your mind?" And the child disappeared. He was actually a little angel.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>My question is , How do I explain to someone the trinity?

Sometimes people have to understand earthly things, before they can understand Heavenly things. The early church came together and we are told they were of one mind and one accord. They had the divine nature of God and they had the mind of Christ.

A good place to begin is the sermon on the mount. For example, in the world people want to be served. But in the Kingdom of God, we are a servant. So, Father, Son and Holy Spirit always serve us and do what is best for us. If we are to be one with them, then we must have this love in us also.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Here is my take on the trinity, this is just a theory.

If you take human and saperate him into his three distict parts, spirit soul and body, then you have a simplified version of the trinity. 

Now if you take each part and multiply it by itself out to infinity.  Or untill each part develope their own spirit soul and body.  Then you have the God head. 

Just as my flesh has the ability to touch hold and shape out side things.  So also, Jesus, being God manifested in the flesh, has this ability, but magnified, to touch all things at the same time, to uphold all things by the word of His power.  He can interact with the very molicules and even change their chemical composition. 

Just as my soul can precieve things, make dicissions, and formulate plans.  So also, the Father has the ability, but magnified, to precieve all things, and formulate plans that affect all of mankind, and at the same time to talk to me and help me with my problems.  This would explain why Jesus said that He didn't know when His return would be, but only the Father who is in Heaven.  And why He said that He could do nothing untill He saw the Father do it.Just as my flesh doesn't know what I plan on doing, untill I do it.

Just as my spirit has the ability to give life to the rest of my body, and impower (and lead) me to do the will of God.  So also, the Holy Spirit has the ability, but magnified, to give God's life to all and support that life in all that accept it.  To lead everyone into God's truth, and to impower them to do the will of God.  Manifesting God's power on the earth,  to glorify God by showing the signs of Jesus still manifesting on the earth.

Just as I am incomplete without all parts so is God incomplete with out all parts.  Each part of God is not complete in itself, for each part relies on the other parts to do whatever God has desired.  This is why He is but one God.

Again this is just a theory, but it can answer some questions.

I thank God, that though He be so great, He has fashioned me after Himself and takes time to love me as my 'father'.   :bow:   Blessed be God, the creator of Heaven and earth, and blessed be God, the big 'huggable teddy bear', that I call papa (abba father). :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Originally posted by SnuP
Garry, check out this post, it maybe a little clearer.

http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?postid=294637#post294637

I assume you are addressing me even though my name is Gerry not Garry.
Please check the thread and understand I am not seek for one to explain the Trinity to me. If you will read my posts here you will see that. Nor do I seek to debate the topic nor mathmatical equations or probabilities.

I posted and clearly stated that this is one of the explanations put fort. I find them all woefully inadequate, including yours, since man's body, souls and spirit can be seperated. If you believe and accept what is written in Scripture you will see the Trinity cannot be seperated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brian45

Apr 23, 2002
✟34,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by foxybrown
:help:

My question is , How do I explain to someone the trinity? The bible says the three are one , how can this be explained :scratch:

Foxybrown :kiss:

I believe that oneness can be explained by the following verse :

<SPAN class=NavigationLinks>John 17:21</SPAN>
that they all may be one, as You, <B>Father</B>, are in <B>Me</B>, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You <B>sent</B> <B>Me</B>.

Upvote 0

Julie

ONLY JESUS CHRIST SAVES
Apr 22, 2002
Visit site
✟9,327.00
Faith
Christian
You should know that just because you can’t find the word "trinity" in the Bible doesn’t mean that the Trinity doesn’t exist. Just because you can’t fully comprehend the Trinity doesn’t mean that there isn’t one.

Can you comprehend fully, "Christ in you?" Of course you can’t. That’s why Paul calls that a "mystery," in Col. 1:27. Can you comprehend that you are a member of Christ’s body, "of his flesh and of his bones?" Of course you can’t. That’s why Paul calls that a "mystery," in Eph. 5:30-32. Likewise, the Trinity is a mystery, but it is well established in the Bible and in type.

A good&nbsp;place to look for the Trinity is in the name of God. Jesus told his disciples to baptize "in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost," (Matt. 28:19). So, in the Bible we should be able to locate one name by which all three persons are called. That name is the Lord. In Eze. 20:5, 19, 26, 38, 42, and 44, we find that the name of God the Father is the Lord. In Phil. 2:11 and 1 Cor. 12:13, we find that the name of Jesus Christ is the Lord. And in 2 Cor. 3:17, we find that the name of the Holy Spirit is the Lord. So, when Cornelius and his household were baptized in the name of the Lord (Acts 10:48), the command of Jesus Christ in Matt. 28:19 was fulfilled.

Upvote 0

camaro540

Jan 28, 2002
Visit site
✟15,744.00
Faith
Messianic
Deu 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:

Mar 12:29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:

Gal 3:20 &nbsp;Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.

Gods Holy Name:
Exd 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said,
Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me
unto you.&nbsp;

Study "I Am" in the Hebrew, and you will know Gods Holy name.&nbsp;

Patrick

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The explanation is simplicity itself, Brian.

The concept of man being a combination of body, soul, and spirit, and man being an analogue (made in the image and likeness) of God - the design of man reflects that of God. You have the body, soul and spirit of God - being termed Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

&nbsp;

The concept can even be explained to an atheist - all you have to do is reword body, soul and spirit as id, ego and super-ego.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Gerry, I'm sorry that I miss typed your name.&nbsp; I am not trying to debate you but rather get you opinion,&nbsp;did you not say that you have heard many explainations.&nbsp; There is a reason that you chose the analogy of the book.&nbsp; I just wanted to know what you saw in that analogy that caused you to think that it is the best one you've seen.

Also, I can kind of see your point about the parts being saperated.&nbsp; But as I see it, death is the only thing that can saperate the parts of a man (other than the word of God).&nbsp; Death also seperated the Trinity, for Christ ask my God, my God, why have you forsaken me.&nbsp; You may say that it was sin that seperated them, but sin and death are bound together from a judgement of God.

Please respond, I'm sorry if I came on to strong and caused you to believe that I just wanted to argue or that I was poking fun.&nbsp; I wasn't trying to, but rather looking for further explaination for your opinion.

SnuP :sigh:

Upvote 0