Are the seven deadly sins still relevant?

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the seven deadly sins are a lie.

That would imply that many sins...are not deadly, hence ok? LIE.

That's a complete misunderstanding of the Seven Deadly Sins (which would perhaps be better named the "Seven Roots of Sinfulness").

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I learned them at some point in my Catholic school theology classes. I can't remember all seven now, though.

3 + 3 + 1.

Three kinds of perverted love directed towards harming others: pride, envy, wrath.

Three kinds of love of good things taken to excess or in forbidden ways: covetousness, gluttony, lust.

One kind of failure to love spiritually beneficial things. To quote Dorothy Sayers: "The sixth Deadly Sin is named by the Church Acedia or Sloth. In the world it calls itself Tolerance; but in hell it is called Despair. It is the accomplice of the other sins and their worst punishment. It is the sin which believes in nothing, cares for nothing, seeks to know nothing, interferes with nothing, enjoys nothing, loves nothing, hates nothing, finds purpose in nothing, lives for nothing, and only remains alive because there is nothing it would die for."

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's a complete misunderstanding of the Seven Deadly Sins (which would perhaps be better named the "Seven Roots of Sinfulness").

Perhaps. I haven't heard or read the lady's presentation on that. Just an impulse response. Lol

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps. I haven't heard or read the lady's presentation on that.

To take an example, murder is a sinful action. Different "deadly sins/roots of sinfulness" can lead to murder: covetousness (if you want to steal their stuff), envy (if you're jealous of them having nice things), wrath (if you're angry about something they did), lust (if, like David, you want their wife), etc.

Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
To take an example, murder is a sinful action. Different "deadly sins/roots of sinfulness" can lead to murder: covetousness (if you want to steal their stuff), envy (if you're jealous of them having nice things), wrath (if you're angry about something they did), lust (if, like David, you want their wife), etc.

That makes sense. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't really care to know them, but thank you for posting a memory trick that may help others. :thumbsup:

It's not just a "memory trick."

The "Seven Deadly Sins" are seven dangerous things to be aware of in one's mind. It's serious business, actually.

• Agree
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0