Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Probably both. Odds are that the sites were known for some of them at one time, and that tradition might have been kept in memory and faith. But others are likely just myth/tradition. In the end it does not really matter to me, what matters is what it can inspire within the believer. If we can use it as a tool to strengthen our faith, to live a holier life, that is the real value in such places.

Upvote 0

Mary Meg

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2019
Alabama
✟31,384.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This fits with the question I asked earlier...

I tend to think, where there's a very good and early tradition that an Apostle was in the area, there's a story about how and where he died, and how he came to where where he is claimed to rest .... there's no reason to doubt that's where he's buried. Peter and Paul in Rome are Mark in Alexandria are good examples.

Others, the stories are not quite so well documented, so it could be true, maybe not.

Ultimately it doesn't matter to my faith in Christ. But it's interesting to know, inspiring to think about it, and can be beneficial.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟778,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps, Regardless if historic or myth, they are being used to destroy people's true faith, or at least to deceive many, as far as can be known. Like profit-making business?
How do they destroy people's faith? Also, most of the sites (if not all) are free, so I also fail to see how it is a profit making enterprise. In times past charging people to see relics was a big business, now it helps keep the church open, or it is free, but hardly a cash cow.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How do they destroy people's faith? Also, most of the sites (if not all) are free, so I also fail to see how it is a profit making enterprise. In times past charging people to see relics was a big business, now it helps keep the church open, or it is free, but hardly a cash cow.
Not everyone's faith, but perhaps many - that can be posted / addressed only in other sections, like "controversial" , and perhaps others (I'm not sure).

Upvote 0