Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
John the Baptist probably had long hair, but hair length also depends on genetics. I haven't cut my hair for over two years and it never goes beyond my shoulders. Some africans have extremely short hair despite never cutting it in their life. Same with beards. some men can't grow a beard to save their life while others grow beards down to their waist.
OK maybe I should say John had hair and a beard that had never been cut?

Upvote 0

UsernamedNamedUser

Nov 26, 2022
Merkezköyler
✟17,769.00
Country
Turkey
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There isn't really a reason to. First off the image can't become Christ. If you are bowing down to it or worshipping it, you've sinned. Secondly the image must be used appropriately. Is the image going to be a mantle piece for the appreciation of random people? Then that disrespects the cross. Is it going to be a small image around your neck that you cling to for anxiety. You should do prayer instead. So either the image becomes an idol, disrespects the cross, or unnecessary.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
There isn't really a reason to. First off the image can't become Christ. If you are bowing down to it or worshipping it, you've sinned. Secondly the image must be used appropriately. Is the image going to be a mantle piece for the appreciation of random people? Then that disrespects the cross. Is it going to be a small image around your neck that you cling to for anxiety. You should do prayer instead. So either the image becomes an idol, disrespects the cross, or unnecessary.

The Bible can't 'become Christ', either. Does that mean that the Bible is an idol, disrespects the cross, or is unnecessary? Is there a problem with treating the Bible reverently?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jewish men did not wear long hair. If they did, the few who did would not be worthy of comment concerning their hair.

Do you consider peyot as long hair? Where does it say Jews could not wear their hair long?

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you consider peyot as long hair? Where does it say Jews could not wear their hair long?

Elvis would have been a good Jew?

Jews had to be told to grow their hair long to take a Nazarite vow. Obviously, if they had to be told? Men as a rule did not wear long hair.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
With respect, I think Elvis' issues with Judaism might extend just a bit beyond his hairstyle...

^ Not exactly the sh'ma, is it?
I actually have heard that he had some Jewish ancestry...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jews had to be told to grow their hair long to take a Nazarite vow. Obviously, if they had to be told? Men as a rule did not wear long hair.

Had to be told? Where does it say that Jewish men could not have long hair? So under the vow, long hair is a symbol of separation and sanctification. As with Samson, his long hair gave him strength. A man may allow his hair to grow in a moderate way, as long as there is no impediment due to hair thickness to his putting on Tefillin, he does not wear long hair to emulate women and his hairstyle does not follow uniquely gentile fashions. So, other than the Nazirite, there is no Mitzvah to keep hair long or short. For the Nazirite, it must not be cut and allowed to grow naturally. A non-Nazarite can cut his hair to any length...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Had to be told? Where does it say that Jewish men could not have long hair? So under the vow, long hair is a symbol of separation and sanctification. As with Samson, his long hair gave him strength. A man may allow his hair to grow in a moderate way, as long as there is no impediment due to hair thickness to his putting on Tefillin, he does not wear long hair to emulate women and his hairstyle does not follow uniquely gentile fashions. So, other than the Nazirite, there is no Mitzvah to keep hair long or short. For the Nazirite, it must not be cut and allowed to grow naturally. A non-Nazarite can cut his hair to any length...
OK you found yourself an argument over some empty non related topic. Go for it if you wish.

Are images of Jesus allowed?​

That is the topic.

In Christ...

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you here to teach us how Jews are supposed to live today?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
OK you found yourself an argument over some empty non related topic. Go for it if you wish.

That is the topic.

In Christ...
Then you should humbly apologise since you have taken us down that particular rabbit hole.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

That is the topic.

In Christ...
I was just answering YOU...

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One point I hope most here can agree on.....

When Jesus broke bread, and said it represented his body?

They had no refined white flour back then.

He was not light skinned as so many pictures depict of him.
And, in addition? They were not eating pumpernickel either on the Passover.

No matter how you slice it? We have that much.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Is the point of posts like this to say that we should live as close to how first century Palestinian Jews lived as possible, or else we've somehow strayed away from our faith or something? Nobody thinks that the Eucharist was instituted with pumpernickel bread or whatever nonsense, but I bet the Jews who wandered in the desert with Moses would have appreciated our air conditioning and portable fans and such. Just because I don't like the sun doesn't mean I don't love Christ.

Upvote 0