Are commentaries from 1953-1988 that are traditional, bad? Exposition, devotional

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Two of the commentaries are devotional, from the 80's, and are on some books in the Old Testament: Job, Hosea-Micah.
The rest of the commentaries are on the New Testament and most of them are older. They contain mostly exposition.

I think I largely agree with the views in them, but especially the New testament commentaries have traditional views on difficult passages.

Do You think these are good purchases?

I'm getting a little bit of discount. But that factor really doesn't make the scale tip over.

On many of the books I don't have almost any commentaries since before.

The ones that I'm the most unsure about, are:
  • Believers Church Bible Commentary: Ecclesiastes, 2010 by Douglas B. Miller. "In this volume, Miller respects the pastoral and theological contribution of Ecclesiastes, without muting its critique of simplistic and comfortable approaches to the life of faith. It is particularly useful for Christians who need a fresh look at the insights of this ancient sage in an era of uncertain identity, the flux of worldviews, and the elusiveness of truth."
  • Interpretation: Hosea-Micah by James Limburg (a Lutheran), 1988 "Introduces the first six—Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah—of the minor prophets and provides a commentary that relates to today's world. He demonstrates why attention should be given to the words of these prophets as they communicate the word of God."
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): Matthew by William Hendriksen, 1973 "This volume in the commentary series for pastors and lay persons introduces the Gospels as a literary unit and illuminates the kingdom gospel, noting Jewish and Old Testament influences on Matthew."
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): John by William Hendriksen, 1953 "Beginning with an examination of John's background, thought, and word use, Hendriksen offers a new translation, understandable comments, and other helpful notes." (I have a 1978 commentary on Jn.)
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): 1 Corinthians EDIT: by Simon J. Kistemaker, 1993!! Not by William Hendriksen, 1953 "Expository commentary of 1 Corinthians probes Paul's handling of church, doctrinal, and interpersonal issues that remain today." (I have an intermediate commentary on 1 Cor from 2012 but it's more focused on cultural context and meaning and the theology than on exposition.)
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): Galatians by William Hendriksen, 1968
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): Ephesians by William Hendriksen, 1968
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): Philemon by William Hendriksen, 1964
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): James and the Epistles of John by Simon J. Kistemaker, 1986. (I have a bit conservative commentary on Jas from 1999 but it doesn't go from the beginning of Jas to the end in order. I have a newly purchased commentary on 1 Jn: http://www.christianforums.com/t7541241-post64288628/#post64288628.)
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): Peter and Jude by Simon J. Kistemaker, 1987 (I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a pastoral commentary on Jude - from 2006 which costs $27, and I have a couple of brief commentaries on Jude since before. I'm not interested in 2 Pt. I also have a devotional commentary from 1995 on 1-2 Peter, James, and Jude.)

On what I don't have:
  • The commentary I have on Joel is from 1977 about the theology.
  • Most of the commentaries I have on the minor prophets are technical.
  • I don't have any commentary on Mt that is focused on exposition, I only have a technical commentary with history of interpetation, from the '00s.
  • I basically don't have any commentary on Ecclesiastes (I have one very brief expositional, devotional from 1990), Galatians, Ephesians, Philemon.
  • I don't have any expositional commentary on 1 Pt other than one very brief Roman-Catholic one.

Last edited:

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
A competing author who has written for several series, doesn't seem better: Minor Prophets 1 by Elizabeth Achtemeier (9780943575056) | Best Commentaries Reviews
Limburg is less mainline, that's good, source: Hosea-Micah by James Limburg (9780804231282) | Best Commentaries Reviews
... so now I'm feeling a bit more confident about that volume!!
Still, if someone wants to advice me, feel free to do so!:
  • Interpretation: Hosea-Micah by James Limburg

Still very unsure about the other commentaries in the OP! I need opinions on Believer's Church Bible Commentary at latest on Saturday forenoon!

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Of course I test the answers with some diligence! What I'm asking is how bad do these commentaries become from the traditional views within them?:
Any and every commentary is bad, if it gives you an answer you accept without testing it with due diligence. I like Augustine and Grudem so I can argue with the uber conservative twists

Also: more value for money seems really hard to find so I'm not really looking for suggestions about alternatives.
I can save by not having Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK) if that's what people advice me.
Better exposition, application or devotional New Testament commentary sets would cost more and that doesn't feel tempting. They are also not automatically any better, can even be worse, just because they are more expensive.
I will make some effort to try out a commentary on the Gospel of Jn that I haven't mentioned, later on. It will take some time before I do that as I will have to print it really cheap (find a printer basically for free and get cheap paper) from an old computer on which I'm going to install a CD. (The CD cost $2.)

Upvote 0

TannarDarr

Oct 14, 2013
TEXAS
✟558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course I test the answers with some diligence! What I'm asking is how bad do these commentaries become from the traditional views within them?:

Also: more value for money seems really hard to find so I'm not really looking for suggestions about alternatives.
I can save by not having Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK) if that's what people advice me.
Better exposition, application or devotional New Testament commentary sets would cost more and that doesn't feel tempting. They are also not automatically any better, can even be worse, just because they are more expensive.
I will make some effort to try out a commentary on the Gospel of Jn that I haven't mentioned, later on. It will take some time before I do that as I will have to print it really cheap (find a printer basically for free and get cheap paper) from an old computer on which I'm going to install a CD. (The CD cost $2.)

If you are looking for value, there are a TON that are free you can DL from GOOGLE books, or if you have an E reader get free through B&N or AMAZON. Things that have been published so long, anyone can reprint them. You can get the electric versions, for ZIPPO!

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
  1. I'm not going to install Kindle!
  2. I'm not interested in that old books:
Things that have been published so long, anyone can reprint them.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
See what NB.Mick wrote and what I commented, in: Old FF Bruce Commentary on Ephesians & Colossians?

There will hopefully also be replys in: Logos box products reviewed:
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): 1 Corinthians by Simon J. Kistemaker, 1993. "Expository commentary of 1 Corinthians probes Paul's handling of church, doctrinal, and interpersonal issues that remain today." (I have an intermediate commentary on 1 Cor from 2012 but it's more focused on cultural context and meaning and the theology than on exposition.)
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): Galatians by William Hendriksen, 1968
  • Baker's New Testament Commentary (HK): Philemon by William Hendriksen, 1964
  • I basically don't have any commentary on [...], Galatians, [...], Philemon.

Amazon reviews of the 1 Cor volume: Customer Reviews: 1 Corinthians (New Testament Commentary)

Excerpts from the Mt -volume: What does this mean?
What MUST A Church Do To Be Considered Legitimate?.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have ~3 times more. I have for example a Roman-Catholic base-package with a lot of public domain books for which I have little use, and I did give away a whole bunch to someone living on a disability income:
For the record, I have $1800 worth of LOGOS.

I have Augustine's confessions, it was included in som base-package:
Ok, Augustine's Confessions, Bonhoeffer, I can go on. Books they would have you study in Seminary today

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
OK, looked at cheapest books about Bonhoeffer on CBD and added one now to my order which I had open: Christianbook.com: Authentic Faith: Bonhoeffer's Theological Ethics in Context: Edited By: Ernst-Albert Scharffenorth, David Stassen, Ilse Todt By: Heinz Eduard Todt: 9780802803825
... it didn't add any postage and it's on a sale for $5.59 right now (80% off):
Ok, Augustine's Confessions, Bonhoeffer, I can go on. Books they would have you study in Seminary today:
  1. I'm not going to install Kindle!
  2. I'm not interested in that old books:

Upvote 0

TannarDarr

Oct 14, 2013
TEXAS
✟558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have ~3 times more. I have for example a Roman-Catholic base-package with a lot of public domain books for which I have little use, and I did give away a whole bunch to someone living on a disability income:

I have Augustine's confessions, it was included in som base-package:

Your yellow streak in the sand is longer, I admit.

I merely gave you examples of those "older books" you pshaw'd had some value in them for free.

I offered a thought you may not have considered, you slapped me in the nose. I tried to show why it had value, you want to be king of the hill.
OKIES, you win. I'm out.

Good luck with all you got there.

Just remember, knowledge puffs up,
works build up.

And you can read all the books in the world on getting pregnant, but until you do the required deeds, you can't get pregnant. :)

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I wrote a post 4 minutes before You posted this so I'm not sure You read?:
I merely gave you examples of those "older books" you pshaw'd had some value in them for free.

I offered a thought you may not have considered, you slapped me in the nose. I tried to show why it had value, you want to be king of the hill.
OKIES, you win. I'm out.
... the URL to my post is: http://www.christianforums.com/t7780067-post64310424/#post64310424 ... (it's my previous post in this thread) ... there I said that I took notice of Your suggestion and ordered it right away. You are saying I can get it or an equivalent for free. Great, but running the computer is not for free, it wears out, a printed book lasts longer. Plus I don't pay for internet, I don't want to depend on internet connection.
Time is also a cost. If I start searching the internet for free content I loose more time than if I order a book as printed matter. Right now I'm not ordering more in Bible study softwares, other than perhaps a Pillar New Testament Commentary on Jude in case a man I became friends with last week wants to study it together with me.

I can't even imagine the effort it would have taken to try to find all the public domain books I have, for free on the internet!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
You are right about that, but until 2¼ years ago I had a period for several years when I didn't care about knowledge regarding most areas of life studies and work. It wasn't until the Fall semester 2012 I picked up studies again. So You can't blaim me for having been knowledge-focused a too large part of my life. Additionally I'm works-focused. It doesn't seem like a contradiction to me:
Just remember, knowledge puffs up,
works build up.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
You offered Bonhoeffer for free. Let's see: I don't have to bother to find out by myself - if I'm talking about something that is not true (I was talking on Logos Forums that someone on Christianforums said some Bonhoeffer works are free) someone immediately corrects me or my source. Read this post if it's still up since I've reported the thread (the OP of the thread talks about a competing software)!: Bonhoeffer Works Sale at the OT Company - Logos Bible Software Forums
I quote tom | Replied: Today 9:12 AM :
"Bonhoeffer Works is not in public domain":
I offered a thought you may not have considered,

TannarDarr, I bet You are quite happy with Your valuable free books and at this pace You remain quite unaware of copyright infringements (since You said You are no longer reading this thread).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TannarDarr

Oct 14, 2013
TEXAS
✟558.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can't even imagine the effort it would have taken to try to find all the public domain books I have, for free on the internet.

As long as you don't type with your Thyroid or Ear lobes it wouldn't take but a wee bit. A few seconds if you knew the name.

Knock yourself out. I'm exiting your chat, and my contact with you. I don't want to get in the way here.

I hope you have a better time.

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I'm grateful that You took a few minutes to read my posts! Since I don't value many of the public-domain books I wouldn't search for many of them. And no, I don't know the names of them. Now I have them anyway, and at any time I can open them without even having to download them first. Besides, using Google for everything is unethical. No I don't automatically pay just because I don't use Google - I didn't buy the bundle deals because of the outdated material.
I don't want to bother my mind all the time with old books, I focus on enough things already:
As long as you don't type with your Thyroid or Ear lobes it wouldn't take but a wee bit. A few seconds if you knew the name.

Knock yourself out. I'm exiting your chat, and my contact with you. I don't want to get in the way here.

TannarDarr has exited the discussion. So others: let's return to the discussion about whether commentaries with traditional views on difficult passages, are a bad thing? And the question on which I need an answer at latest on Saturday forenoon October 19. is: Should I buy the Ecclesiastes volume in Believer's Church Bible Commentary?

Upvote 0

Unix

Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
To balance other commentaries, I ordered a couple of days a devotional expositional commentary with application on 1-2 Pt, Jude. It's verbose but theologically on an easy level: semi-adv. 1Pt&Jude commentary with history of interpretation? - Logos Bible Software Forums (the one from 2013):
  • I don't have any expositional commentary on 1 Pt other than one very brief Roman-Catholic one.

Time is running out to give me an opinion on the Ecclesiastes commentary! EDIT1, EDIT2: I decided I want and need the Ecclesiastes volume - and I got 25% off on it. I will wait for opinions on Baker's NT Commentary (HK) until in the beginning of next week, Wednesday Oct. 23. 2013 - apparently it can be used for sermon preparation and is even favoured by someone right now: Poll: What are your five favorite Bible dictionaries, commentaries, and lexicons? - Logos Bible Software Forums

I wrote a new post in: Logos box products reviewed ... there is a link back to an interesting post on Christianforums.
EDIT2: I wrote yet another post in Logos box products reviewed ... with calculations about the real cost.

Previously edited by Unix; 20th October 2013 at 3:41 PM local time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Even though my post may not directly address you question, one problem that exists with the older commentaries, say prior to the 80’s, is that much of the commentary understandably is unable to address the incredible breadth and depth of material that has been produced by many contemporary scholars. When it comes to the New Testament, there is almost no awareness of the socio-rhetorical nature of these writings and they certainly lack any critiquing of the many commentators of our day.

For me, I always value hearing what a scholar has to say about the opinions of other scholars and when I can obtain commentary by scholars such as Carson, Fee, Grudem, Thiselton, Witherington on each of the other scholars (and more), then I can leave a given topic knowing that I have probably heard about as much as I can reasonably take in. What I have found to be particularly helpful is when a given scholar will critique another scholars work where I have gained some aspects of anothers work that I had not considered.

So for me, I tend to rely on material that was produced either during or after the 80’s, though there are a few exceptions on my list.

Upvote 0