Are Christians able to drink? Is it a sin?

Is it a sin to have a beer?

• Yes, it is a sin

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • No, it is not a sin

Votes: 48 92.3%

• Total voters

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,965.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Our English words nephalism and nephalist are derived from this Greek word.
Nephalism: teetotalism; abstinence from alcohol

nephalist - Wiktionary
nephalism

Various Greek authorities on the word nepho:
The Complete Biblical Library - nepho literally means “drink no wine”
Vines Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words - “to be free from the influence of intoxicants.”
The Theological Dictionary of the New Testament - opposite of intoxication
Liddell and Scott’s Lexicon - “to be sober, to live soberly, especially to drink no wine.”
Stephanus’s Thesaurus - “he who abstains from wine.”
Bretschneider - “I am sober, I abstain from wine.”
The Greek Dictionary of Byzantius - “one who does not drink wine.”
The Greek-French Lexicon - “abstinence from wine, sobriety.”
Robinson’s New Testament Lexicon - “to be sober, temperate, abstinent, especially in respect to wine.”
Younge’s English and Greek Lexicon - “without wine.”
Strong’s Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries - “to abstain from wine, keep sober.”
Drink No Wine | Battle Creek Church of Christ

Patristic Greek Lexicon - “be temperate, drink no wine.”
Donnegan - “to live abstemiously, to abstain from wine;”
Wine in the Bible (unabridged) by Samuele Bacchiocchi | Bible | Wine
I asked for your source for the etymology of the word. Let me remind you of what you claimed.
where nepho means physical abstinence with "ne" a negative meaning no or not and "pho" meaning drink.
What is your source for this, or did you simply make it up?

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Excluding those who have - whether they know it or not - addiction problems or the like, no. Alcoholic beverages are not a sin. "Drunkenness" is prohibited, but I rather think this term applies to one who habitually drinks themselves silly OR knows they should not drink at all as mentioned above. I am quite sure it does not strictly apply to one who on rare occasions has a bit more than they should, not really realizing it until too late.

Certainly, those who habitually drink themselves into a stupor to avoid facing up to their need for Christ are in trouble already.

At the same time, one who feels guilty about have wine with dinner is well advised to simply avoid it. Do all with thanksgiving to God. If one cannot in good conscious give thanks to God for whatever, then one should not do it. This is obviously directed to Christians with an active relationship to God.

Upvote 0

TheSeabass

Jul 9, 2015
✟47,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I asked for your source for the etymology of the word. Let me remind you of what you claimed.

What is your source for this, or did you simply make it up?

In post #20 I cited several sources that nepho means to not drink, to abstain.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,965.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In post #20 I cited several sources that nepho means to not drink, to abstain.
And not one of them gives an etymology of the word. So did you just make up that etymology or not?

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
"I simply taught, preached, and wrote God’s Word; otherwise I did nothing. And then, while I slept, or drank Wittenberg beer with my Philip [Melanchthon] and my Amsdorf [Nicholaus von], the Word so greatly weakened the papacy that never a prince or emperor did such damage to it. I did nothing. The Word did it all." - M. Luther

Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing wrong with enjoying an alcoholic beverage now and then. I'll have a rum and Coke on occasion, and maybe a glass of Moscato or mead here and there. Other people have summed it up best. Drinking just to get drunk is where the problem lies, not having a wine with a finely prepared steak or other meal. For the record, I don't like the smell of beer, so I avoid it.

Upvote 0

Yahchristian

Mar 3, 2017
South Carolina
✟20,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
agreed, as I stated in the Video

I think you are asking yourself the wrong question.

Instead of seeking to be "lawful", it would be better to seek "excellence".

In other words, don't spend so much energy trying to determine exactly where the line is between right and wrong.

Rather, spend your energy trying to determine what is best (true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellence, worthy of praise).

1 Corinthians 10:23 ESV... “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.

Philippians 4:8 ESV... Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nothing wrong with enjoying an alcoholic beverage now and then. I'll have a rum and Coke on occasion, and maybe a glass of Moscato or mead here and there. .
The key is to have them at different meals. :D

Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think you are asking yourself the wrong question.

Instead of seeking to be "lawful", it would be better to seek "excellence".

In other words, don't spend so much energy trying to determine exactly where the line is between right and wrong.

Rather, spend your energy trying to determine what is best (true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellence, worthy of praise).

1 Corinthians 10:23 ESV... “All things are lawful,” but not all things are helpful. “All things are lawful,” but not all things build up.

Philippians 4:8 ESV... Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
With that mindset you could "exellence" yourself into a pretty miserable existence very quickly. Why not responsibly and thankfully avail ourselves of the good gifts our Father has provided for us? As Luther wrote in his Large Catechism ...

But what is the force of this, or what do you mean by these words:I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker, etc.?

Answer: This is what I mean and believe, that I am a creature of God; that is, that He has given and constantly preserves to me my body, soul, and life, members great and small, all my senses, reason, and understanding, and so on, food and drink, clothing and support, wife and children, domestics, house and home, etc. Besides, He causes all creatures to serve for the uses and necessities of life sun, moon, and stars in the firmament, day and night, air, fire, water, earth, and whatever it bears and produces, birds and fishes beasts, grain, and all kinds of produce, and whatever else there is of bodily and temporal goods, good government, peace, security. Thus we learn from this article that none of us has of himself, nor can preserve, his life nor anything that is here enumerated or can be enumerated, however small and unimportant a thing it might be, for all is comprehended in the word Creator.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do not be filled with wine which leads to debauchery. The debauchery is the issue, not wine.
Some people can have 2 wines and it will not lead them to sin. With others, even one will take them in directions they would not do without it.
But this can go for coffee too. I can get nippy with people if I drink too much coffee. So I don't do it. 2 wines relax me, but thats about it.
We can probably all agree that alcohol in excess leads one to sin and act stupid. Thats what it does to us.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,965.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Examining 1.93 million UK health records, researchers at the University of Cambridge and University College London concluded that "the protective effect observed for moderate drinking and major clinical outcomes such as myocardial infarction, ischaemic stroke, sudden coronary death, heart failure, peripheral arterial disease, and abdominal aortic aneurysm is present even after separation of the group of current non-drinkers into more specific categories." [our emphasis] The results for teetotallers are as follows:

Non-drinking was associated with an increased risk of unstable angina (hazard ratio 1.33, 95% confidence interval 1.21 to 1.45), myocardial infarction (1.32, 1.24 to1.41), unheralded coronary death (1.56, 1.38 to 1.76), heart failure (1.24, 1.11 to 1.38), ischaemic stroke (1.12, 1.01 to 1.24), peripheral arterial disease (1.22, 1.13 to 1.32), and abdominal aortic aneurysm (1.32, 1.17 to 1.49) compared with moderate drinking (consumption within contemporaneous UK weekly/daily guidelines of 21/3 and 14/2 units for men and women, respectively). Heavy drinking (exceeding guidelines) conferred an increased risk of presenting with unheralded coronary death (1.21, 1.08 to 1.35), heart failure (1.22, 1.08 to 1.37), cardiac arrest (1.50, 1.26 to 1.77), transient ischaemic attack (1.11, 1.02 to 1.37), ischaemic stroke (1.33, 1.09 to 1.63), intracerebral haemorrhage (1.37, 1.16 to 1.62), and peripheral arterial disease (1.35; 1.23 to 1.48), but a lower risk of myocardial infarction (0.88, 0.79 to 1.00) or stable angina (0.93, 0.86 to 1.00).

Good news, everyone! Two pints a day keep heart problems at bay

Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It is not a sin to drink it "in moderation" and "for good reasons" (e.g. to warm your own body in winter).

Agreed.

the Bible never says that drinking alcohol is a sin. Only that becoming intoxicated is a sin. In fact, Paul even tells Timothy to mix a little wine in his water for the sake of his stomach. Because water was not so clean in those days.

That being said, there are principles to consider before we drink.
1. the alcohol then was not the same as today. An alcoholic beverage then contained very little alcohol and there was not very much available (think about the wedding when Jesus had to make wine out of water).
You are out in the desert, you have no refrigeration. If you crush grapes and put them in a container, they are going to ferment. Think about grape juice in your fridge. After a few days, it starts to get a little "fizzy". it is fermenting.
What they would do is they would take the wine and boil it down into a paste. Kind of like a jam or a juice concentrate. Then when they were ready to drink it, they would mix it with water.
Other times they would take wine and mix it with an average of 3 parts water to 1 part wine. That would dilute the alcohol quite a bit.
This is done because they wanted to stretch it, they wanted dilute the alcohol, and they used it for cleaning the water. Ancient writers tell us that it was considered barbarian to drink wine that had not been mixed.

The point here is that, they drink wine but it contained very little alcohol. Think of all of the verses in the Bible where someone would accuse another of being drunk, and the retort would be about how early in the day it was. such as on the day of Pentecost. Or other places where they essentially say that if you wanted to be drunk in those day, you would literally have to set out to get drunk. you would have to drink unmixed wine, or drink from sunup to sundown.

---Now we ask questions about whether we should drink or not. Remember that it is not a black or white sin---
1. is it necessary? Paul told Timothy to add a bit of wine to his water for his stomach's sake. Actually it isn't the alcohol that kills the bacteria. there is an acid that is a byproduct of the fermentation process in wine that kills bacteria. So if you are in a third world country, it might be a good idea to mix some water and wine. In the United States, on the other hand.... I usually do not have a problem finding water that won't make me ill.

2&3. 1 Corinthians 6:12
Will it Bring me under its power? Will it cause me to do things (or slow me down from doing things) that are right and for the Lord? If you get drunk, you have lost control. And there is no telling what you will do.
It also has the potential to be addictive.
So before you drink, consider whether you are drinking away your conscience and whether you are bringing yourself under bondage to a substance rather than God.

3. Will it cause a weaker brother to stumble. If you have a weaker brother or sister, maybe this person used to be an alcoholic, and you drink in front of them. If that person begins to drink and falls into sin, you are guilty. It became a sin.

4. Will it hurt your witness. Not all things are sinful, but some things just don't look good. Our primary objective is to win souls. If something you do hampers your ability to that, then you shouldn't do it.

Read Romans 14

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TheSeekerOfTruth

Mar 25, 2017
Ontario
✟54,066.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well from my view point drinking alcohol in moderation isn't a sin, it should be metioned that Jesus did drink wine in moderation and the religious people called Jesus a drunkard for it. I see no problem drinking alcohol everyonce in a while without getting drunk. Just be careful because alcohol can get addicting and that is a problem.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I only read the first page, but as others are somewhat surprised with the agreement here, so am I, and pleasantly.

I'd guess most would agree with:

1 Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Actually how could you not, lol, it is after all written. Now to my point.

What is a drunkard? The way I see alcohol is it's a gift from God that has many uses. If one were to get drunk, say, after a loved one died or any type of great/viable disappointment, I don't think it would be sin. And not only for just that reason but getting drunk once or even going on a binge under the circumstances I mentioned, or maybe even just for fun (cutting close to sin w/fun, but who knows? We decide) would not make one a "drunkard". While something like plans to get drunk on most or every weekend, might in the sight of God make us a drunkard. There could be a lot of argument on where the lines are drawn, so I'd keep it to a minimum at each session always, unless medicinal need arises.

Best not to do it at all, but people are different, and some might need the "medicine" more than others, also there will come a time when they have to stop or the sin may occur....as in addiction, or ongoing drunkenness (that actually says a lot about sin in general..the ongoing stuff it what'll get us in the end)

My only point, when we see someone stumbling drunk, and I'm not saying anyone here would, but we shouldn't draw conclusion so fast as far as that making them a drunkard or that they are necessarily doing anything wrong. Best to do that at home but it's not a perfect world so..

FWIW, I don't drink, but have...plenty. Just don't like it anymore, and believe me, I tried. :)

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
we can drink all the water and juice and milk we want - just not drugs and that include alcohol

Whatever label you choose to put on it, the Bible/God allows it, and no man has any business trying to change that.

Upvote 0

Tangible

May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status