Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I have my Google News configured to pick up news articles on chimpanzees. They are our closest relatives, and I enjoy reading articles on how they have started using spears, how they go to war and stuff. I'm even following a chimp romance story.

For the last month or so, here have been an absolute barrage of stories about possible chimp spirituality, even wondering if chimps believe in God.

Basically, religion or spirituality is defined as experienced/believing in something greater than one's self. Kind of like a "higher power." Apparently chimps do, or so the evidence appears to indicate.

One of the most common religious experiences of human beings is the sense of awe we get when viewing the marvels of nature. Well, where all other animals run away from dangerous natural wonders, chimps seem to stand in awe, even dance.

The British primatologist Jane Goodall has spent her life with chimpanzees, and no human has ever known more about our nearest relative. She has witnessed some extraordinary behaviour across the decades she has spent in Gombe Stream national park in Tanzania. Here she describes a male chimpanzee approaching a waterfall.

'As he gets closer, and the roar of the falling water gets louder, his pace quickens, his hair becomes fully erect, and upon reaching the stream he may perform a magnificent display close to the foot of the falls.

'Standing upright, he sways rhythmically from foot to foot, stamping in the shallow, rushing water, picking up and hurling great rocks. Sometimes he climbs up the slender vines that hang down from the trees high above and swings out into the spray of the falling water. This waterfall dance may last ten or 15 minutes.'

Chimpanzees have been seen to dance in greeting to heavy rain, during violent wind-storms and in response to wildfire.

Where most animals flee, chimpanzees will sometimes linger to marvel at the flames. Goodall asked: 'Is it not possible that these performances are stimulated by feelings akin to wonder and awe?'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ines-sacred-tree-no-reason.html#ixzz46Hgj2stA
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Another things that human beings do, is repeated ritualistic behavior, and set things aside for such rituals (the definition of "holy"). Apparently chimps do the same thing.

Chimpanzees in West Africa have been spotted banging and throwing rocks against trees and throwing them into gaps inside, leading to piles of rocks. Those rocks do not appear to be for any functional purpose — and might be an example of an early version of ritual behaviour.

The discovery might help researchers learn more about the basis of human religion and rituals, and how such activities formed in our own history.

The scientist described seeing the behaviour through cameras that were set up to watch the chimpanzees. They saw them assembling piles of stones — of a similar kind of the ritual cairns that have been found throughout human history.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...show-that-chimps-believe-in-god-a6911301.html

The evidence is not enough to definitively conclude that chimps have religion. But if human beings did the exact same thing, we would certainly describe it as religion.

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have my Google News configured to pick up news articles on chimpanzees. They are our closest relatives, and I enjoy reading articles on how they have started using spears, how they go to war and stuff. I'm even following a chimp romance story.

For the last month or so, here have been an absolute barrage of stories about possible chimp spirituality, even wondering if chimps believe in God.

Basically, religion or spirituality is defined as experienced/believing in something greater than one's self. Kind of like a "higher power." Apparently chimps do, or so the evidence appears to indicate.

One of the most common religious experiences of human beings is the sense of awe we get when viewing the marvels of nature. Well, where all other animals run away from dangerous natural wonders, chimps seem to stand in awe, even dance.

Another things that human beings do, is repeated ritualistic behavior, and set things aside for such rituals (the definition of "holy"). Apparently chimps do the same thing.

The evidence is not enough to definitively conclude that chimps have religion. But if human beings did the exact same thing, we would certainly describe it as religion.

I am hopelessly distracted from the issue when I read that you say the chimp is "our closest relative". I once saw on TV a PBS documentary stating that the rat was our relative. That was difficult too.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I am hopelessly distracted from the issue when I read that you say the chimp is "our closest relative". I once saw on TV a PBS documentary stating that the rat was our relative. That was difficult too.
All life is related. We are related to one celled amoebas. However, that is an extremely distant relationship. Chimps are our closest relative.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Distantly, they are. We're more closely related to rats than, say, pigs or cows. Rodents and primates are both Euarchontoglires, a grouping of mammals that also includes lagomorphs and tree shrews.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Abraxos

Christ is King
Jan 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟69,326.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
kNQTCaJ.jpg

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The rat is our relative.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There is some debate if we are closer related to Chimpanzees or to Bonobos.

Chimp religion is a very interesting idea though. It fits well with the ongoing debate on Animal salvation in another thread. Chimps with their wars and frequent murders certainly looks as if they might be Fallen as opposed to more peacable bonobos and therefore need Religion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
There is some debate if we are closer related to Chimpanzees or to Bonobos.

Chimp religion is a very interesting idea though. It fits well with the ongoing debate on Animal salvation in another thread. Chimps with their wars and frequent murders certainly looks as if they might be Fallen as opposed to more peacable bonobos and therefore need Religion.
Yes. This has occurred to me.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Are Chimps Religious?

regarding the statement:
They are our closest relatives
Are chimps made in the image of God?

Did Jesus Christ die for them?

If they are our closest relatives, do they resemble God more than we do?

Re: "religious".....do you mean that they worship God?

Re: your mention of evolution:

Chimps were made in the image of God, then? Therefore, chimps would resemble the God they were made in the image of, would they not? And consequently we are not made in the image of said God?

...jus' wondrin'....

Would you care to clarify?

Thank you kindly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Are chimps made in the image of God?
I need to know exactly what you mean by "the image of God." Different Christians have different ideas.

Did Jesus Christ die for them?
NO.

First, are chimpanzees fallen and in need of salvation? I don't know.

Chimps are uncommonly evil as far as animals go. They go to war, rape, and murder... all sorts of harm unnecessary for their survival. I think they are just evil creatures. But that doesn't mean they are morally responsible. To be morally responsible, they must know right from wrong, be AWARE that they are doing wrong when they do it. IOW they must have metaphorically eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. We just don't have evidence one way or another.

But if chimps did ever fall from grace, their plan of salvation would be separate and distinct from ours.

If they are our closest relatives, do they resemble God more than we do?
Again, I don't know what you mean by resemble, nor do I know how we would measure such a thing.

Re: "religious".....do you mean that they worship God?
By religious, we mean that they are experiences and reacting to something greater than themselves. This something is usually referred to as the Divine. I'm sure chimps don't have any concept of a Trinitarian Deity. But the evidence noted in the OP is that they do perceive something other and beyond which they worship in the most primitive of ways.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I need to know exactly what you mean by "the image of God." Different Christians have different ideas.

NO.

First, are chimpanzees fallen and in need of salvation? I don't know.

Chimps are uncommonly evil as far as animals go. They go to war, rape, and murder... all sorts of harm unnecessary for their survival. I think they are just evil creatures. But that doesn't mean they are morally responsible. To be morally responsible, they must know right from wrong, be AWARE that they are doing wrong when they do it. IOW they must have metaphorically eaten from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. We just don't have evidence one way or another.

But if chimps did ever fall from grace, their plan of salvation would be separate and distinct from ours.

Again, I don't know what you mean by resemble, nor do I know how we would measure such a thing.

By religious, we mean that they are experiences and reacting to something greater than themselves. This something is usually referred to as the Divine. I'm sure chimps don't have any concept of a Trinitarian Deity. But the evidence noted in the OP is that they do perceive something other and beyond which they worship in the most primitive of ways.

i'm referring to the Biblical statement(s) that we (man) is made in the image of God.

Re: this statement below:

What do you mean by "plan of salvation" for chimps, and if that was true, why would a chimp's "plan of salvation" be different from ours (man's)?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...ples-tell-us-about-the-evolution-of-religion/

Apparently they have ritual and perhaps temples, so why deny them concepts that something might be moral or immoral? They are very human in their evilness.

I concur that if they are Fallen, they'll have their own salvationary scheme.
I concur that if they are Fallen, they'll have their own salvationary scheme.
"their own salvationary scheme"......such as?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
"their own salvationary scheme"......such as?

Thank you kindly.
Don't know. Its a supposition only. I am not a chimp and don't know the intricacies of their theology, that is if it is a religion at all. Neither does the Bible say anything regarding it.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
i'm referring to the Biblical statement(s) that we (man) is made in the image of God.

Re: this statement below:

What do you mean by "plan of salvation" for chimps, and if that was true, why would a chimp's "plan of salvation" be different from ours (man's)?

Thank you kindly.
Again, I can't answer your question until you tell me what you think the Biblical statement of "image of God" MEANS. Different Christians have different ideas. Some Christians believe it means we have souls. Some Christians believe it means we know right from wrong. Some say it refers to our free will. Some say it refers to our ability to create. Etc. What do YOU think it means?

A plan of salvation would be any plan that God has to redeem a fallen species. I think it would be different for chimps because God didn't become a chimp. That's my personal opinion -- I'm sure others might disagree; they might argue that all it takes is for God to become incarnate into this world.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Don't know. Its a supposition only. I am not a chimp and don't know the intricacies of their theology, that is if it is a religion at all. Neither does the Bible say anything regarding it.

What DOES the Bible say about salvation, repeatedly, throughout the entire Bible?

'jus wonderin'.....chimps have a "theology"?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Again, I can't answer your question until you tell me what you think the Biblical statement of "image of God" MEANS. Different Christians have different ideas. Some Christians believe it means we have souls. Some Christians believe it means we know right from wrong. Some say it refers to our free will. Some say it refers to our ability to create. Etc. What do YOU think it means?

A plan of salvation would be any plan that God has to redeem a fallen species. I think it would be different for chimps because God didn't become a chimp. That's my personal opinion -- I'm sure others might disagree; they might argue that all it takes is for God to become incarnate into this world.

The Bible states in it what the "image of God" is. Does it not?

Jesus the Christ speaks on what the "plan of salvation" is and why He came here on earth, doesn't He?

Thank you kindly.

Upvote 0