Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Were really in trouble if this is the way Christians think as as well. But you are entitled to your own views I understand.

No need to get huffy.

If I am entitled to my opinion why does that opinion bother you, because it doesn't coincide with yours, that is why it's a difference of opinion.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Are you being serious?

Just two.

Were George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, Racists, Bigots, Haters of Black people, or was it a way of life and of the time, when machinery was not available?

Read some history not just dates and places.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Were really in trouble if this is the way Christians think as as well. But you are entitled to your own views I understand.
But it was the way things were in that era. It was the Quakers who were the first to turn against slavery in the early to mid-1700s but prior to that it was common practice. Even Quaker William Penn owned slaves, although he freed them in his will. He died before the Quakers started turning against it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rugged Cross

Jun 18, 2020
Orkney Islands
✟13,678.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK - SNP
We have seen statues of numerous Confederate leaders come down. More recently statues honoring slaveowners who predated the Civil War have been removed.

But, are all slaveowners created equal? I would first note that at one point in his life Benjamin Franklin owned two slaves. Turning against slavery, Franklin eventually freed them. He went on to become the president of an abolitionist organization. Likewise James Wilson owned one slave who he freed. He thereafter worked against slavery, a practice that he believed would die out. James Buchanan actually purchased two slaves in Virginia who he took to Pennsylvania and freed. Yes, there was a political reason for this--he didn't want to run for office with a slaveowner in the family--but he still freed two slaves.

Should these men be placed in the same category as those who owned but never freed their slaves? I don’t think so--I think their statues should stay up (assuming there are statues of Wilson)--but I’m eager to hear what others think.

Benjamin Franklin . Citizen Ben . Abolitionist | PBS
Slavery is vile, and still goes on today, though people are only attacking historical slavery. If we remove or destroy these statues we are hiding the sin, sweeping the dust under the carpet so to speak. But they still happened, instead of destruction they could be for edification. We are supposed to learn from history not destroy it. With this mentality, do we start removing characters or passages from the Bible because they had slaves, servants (who at times were treated like slaves), where does it stop and what will the next cleansing be? Pets, after all we did not get their permission to be our pets.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But it was the way things were in that era. It was the Quakers who were the first to turn against slavery in the early to mid-1700s but prior to that it was common practice. Even Quaker William Penn owned slaves, although he freed them in his will. He died before the Quakers started turning against it.

The reason England stopped having slaves? Was because of a British member of the House of Commons, Granville Sharp. Granville Sharp was a Bible and Greek scholar. He established a principle of understanding a grammatical principle of Greek syntax, which we now call the Granville Sharp rule. He was the one who introduced to England the need to end slavery while in the house of commons. He gave many speeches.

In spite of what the liberal elitists would have us believe, the freeing of modern day slaves did not begin with human-good unbelievers.

And, for the black Americans? Their baptism into self respect began within the Word of God they learned in Church.. Not from liberal secularism that tries to compete with God in a superficial, hypocritical, way.

Upvote 0

Christian Sonic Fan

Metal for life!
Jun 13, 2020
Pearisburg, Giles Country, Virginia
✟18,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My family owned slaves. I can't undo what they did nor do I see it as morally reprehensible, despite the times that we live in which calls for such statements due to peer pressure (but I honestly don't care. Call me racist...oh gee...ahh!....:sleeping:. The big scary words!... Yawn..) We are reminded that in the 1780's and 1800's when my family had these slaves that it was considered normal. I see it as what it is. You know what I said when I found this out? "Cool. What else did my family do?" Turns out, one my my family members started a Primitive Baptist church in Ohio and another one started the Dutch East India Trading Company.

Reactions: GenemZ
Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just two.

Were George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, Racists, Bigots, Haters of Black people, or was it a way of life and of the time, when machinery was not available?

Read some history not just dates and places.
So because it was a way of life then that makes it ok? To ENSLAVE people? Again yes I’m bothered by the opinion but I’m working on that. I’m better than I was before but yes when I see people justifying slavery or acting nonchalant about it it gets to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So because it was a way of life then that makes it ok? To ENSLAVE people? Again yes I’m bothered by the opinion but I’m working on that. I’m better than I was before but yes when I see people justifying slavery or acting nonchalant about it it gets to me.

No it's called understanding History and not judging everyone and everything that happened in the past with today's standards, it's like saying we as a Country have not grown or moved since 1776, how about accepting what was then because that was then with their understanding then growing from that knowledge, but you don't seem to be able to do that.

Upvote 0

Loversofjesus_2018

Nov 13, 2018
West coast
✟32,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No it's called understanding History and not judging everyone and everything that happened in the past with today's standards, it's like saying we as a Country have not grown or moved since 1776, how about accepting what was then because that was then with their understanding then growing from that knowledge, but you don't seem to be able to do that.
I understand completely that was how they operated. I also understand that there was a time where black people were considered 3/5ths a man. I understand that woman were considered property and initially that’s why a ring was given hence the reason why men didn’t wear them in the beginning. I bring all that up only to say I get that society functioned in a certain way and I understand. But it doesn’t make it ok. I hope I’m not being judgmental when I say that one human being does not have a right to treat other human beings however they choose just because they feel they are superior. But you do not feel the same and as you mentioned why should I be bothered by this fact? And you are right. My apologies for letting your opinion bother me. I should know better than that by now. Hope you have a good day

• Friendly
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0