Architect Spends 45 Years Transforming An Old Abandoned Cement Factory Into A Fairy Tale Home

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ricardo Bofill...
"I began to imagine the different aesthetic systems included in this work: brutalism, through the hard and sculptural treatment of the material; surrealism, through the uselessness, the paradox of stairs going nowhere or pure broken volumes; abstraction, through the stripping of forms and lines in space. I’ve decided to keep this factory, to turn ugliness into a work of art..."

I had never thought of uselessness as being surreal, but now that he said it...

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,486.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It may not have occurred to the architect, but I suppose that's what God does with people who come to Him as prodigal sons and daughters.

They're a mess, and then He goes on to makes something beautiful out of them, if they'll let Him, which we won't really see until we're on the other side of glory ourselves.

If's that what human beings can do, what's God going to do?

I remember my old pastor once used Butchart Gardens in Canada as an example of the same sort of thing, although he used slightly more colourful language to describe it's origin. The way he told it, Mrs. Butchart asked her husband if he could tidy up his quarry. "It's such a horrible mess!" she complained.

He objected, saying "For cryin' out loud, woman, it's a quarry! It's supposed to be a mess!". In actual fact, it appears her husband was quite supportive of her incredible project. The end result was that something ugly become an object of beauty.

Butchart Gardens: once a limestone quarry, today one of the most beautiful gardens in Canada - Walls with Stories

Last edited:
Upvote 0