Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk on life, faith, Ukraine, and the Greek Catholic Church

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A conversation with John Burger about At the Foot of the Cross: Lessons from Ukraine—An Interview with Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk.

John Burger is a Catholic journalist and author of a book-length interview with Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk titled At the Foot of the Cross: Lessons from Ukraine

(Our Sunday Visitor, 2023). Archbishop Shevchuk has been Major Archbishop of Kyiv-Galicia since 2011. In that role, he’s witnessed the historical convulsions suffered by Ukraine: in the 2014 Russian seizure of Crimea, Moscow’s ongoing proxy war in Ukraine’s east, and finally Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022. Archbishop Shevchuk provides a religious overview of the situation, with particular attention to the situation of Ukraine’s Greek Catholics, Christians who follow Eastern liturgical traditions but are in union with Rome.

Mr. Burger spoke with Catholic World Report recently about his book.

CWR: What inspired you to write At the Foot of the Cross? Presumably, the idea came to you before the February 2022 Russian further invasion of Ukraine?

John Burger: Although I’m a Latin Catholic, I’ve been interested in Eastern Christianity for some time—especially the Byzantine tradition. I’ve been writing for Catholic media since 1993, and I began to notice that the Catholic press focused almost exclusively on RomanCatholicism. So I’ve tried to stay attuned to interesting stories from “the East.”

In 2018, when I learned that His Beatitude Sviatoslav Shevchuk, the head of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, was planning to visit the United States, I requested an in-person interview. So I met him at the Supreme Convention of the Knights of Columbus, where he was the keynote speaker, in Baltimore.

After I wrote a couple of articles based on the interview, a member of his staff asked if I would be interested in writing a biography of His Beatitude. I agreed to work on it, but His Beatitude was averse to having a biography written about him. He agreed, however, to collaborate on a book-length interview. I envisioned it to appear in question-and-answer format.

CWR: At the time of the interview, what most struck you about Archbishop Shevchuk?

Continued below.

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,429.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I should like to say here that I have a very very high regard for Patriarch Sviatoslav [ as he is regarded by Ukrainians] I've met him [ I was very very lucky so to do while I was a member of the UGCC ] and came away from that meeting realising that I had met a very great Catholic.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I should like to say here that I have a very very high regard for Patriarch Sviatoslav [ as he is regarded by Ukrainians] I've met him [ I was very very lucky so to do while I was a member of the UGCC ] and came away from that meeting realising that I had met a very great Catholic.
You met him? Wow! :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
not only have I met him - I was the only woman in the Group of 10 of us who had dinner with him :D
Ohhhh! I think I’ve heard you describe this before if I’m not mistaken? Sounds very exciting! :)

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,429.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
On that occasion he was conversing in several languages , depending with whom he was speaking - using Portuguese [ Brazilian] Ukrainian , English and also French I believe, swapping from one to another as needed.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,677,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On that occasion he was conversing in several languages , depending with whom he was speaking - using Portuguese [ Brazilian] Ukrainian , English and also French I believe, swapping from one to another as needed.
Yes! I remember you describing that and you kept up! Lol

Upvote 0

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
What demonstrated for you that he was/is "a very great Catholic"?

Upvote 0