Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Much weight is put on certain writings in the NT that form our beliefs.

I'm sure this is a popularly well known one.

26 He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation. ~Heb 9

There's much to chew on here as I have emphasized but I'd like to focus on verse 27.

So the writer of this letter says that man is appointed to die once. Reading that brought up many contradictions that popped into my head.

1678256883186.png

Then there's this :
And He answered and said to them, “Go and report to John what you have seen and heard: the BLIND RECEIVE SIGHT, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the POOR HAVE THE GOSPEL PREACHED TO THEM. Luke 7:22​

Seems to me that not everyone is appointed to die only once.

And what about these:

Revelation 2:11​
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death.” ’​
Revelation 20:6​
Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.​
Revelation 20:14​
Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.​
Revelation 21:8​
But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”​

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

I'm sure this is a popularly well known one.

26 He then would have had to suffer often since the foundation of the world; but now, once at the end of the ages, He has appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment,
28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation. ~Heb 9

There's much to chew on here as I have emphasized but I'd like to focus on verse 27.
Enoch did not die - not even once.
Elijah did not die - not even once.
About as for the 99.9999% of the rest of mankind - yes they die at least once unless they are subject to the Rev 20 "second death".

So the context in Heb 9 is important.

In Heb 9 the focus is on Christ dying only once for the sins of the world as opposed to many times and Paul is illustrating that fact by the fact that all men die once (though some die twice as in Rev 20)

We have a once-for-all time atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross 1 John 2:2

Last edited:
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Much weight is put on certain writings in the OT that form out beliefs.
All NT writings are beneficial when properly understood just as are all OT writings when properly understood. :)

Upvote 0