Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It summarizes the traditional Christian idea of Christian beliefs. It's less technical than the Nicene Creed, avoiding concepts such as homoousian, which may be a good thing.

However from the point of view of modern NT study I'm not sure I'd say it summarizes the Gospel. It really doesn't speak of what Jesus thought of as a the Gospel: that he had come to establish God's rule (kingdom). It isn't even very explicit about the traditional concept of the Gospel, which is Christ dying for us.

Upvote 0

brightlights

A sinner
Jul 31, 2004
USA
✟28,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It summarizes the traditional Christian idea of Christian beliefs. It's less technical than the Nicene Creed, avoiding concepts such as homoousian, which may be a good thing.

However from the point of view of modern NT study I'm not sure I'd say it summarizes the Gospel. It really doesn't speak of what Jesus thought of as a the Gospel: that he had come to establish God's rule (kingdom). It isn't even very explicit about the traditional concept of the Gospel, which is Christ dying for us.

The creed mentions his death, burial, and resurrection -- everything Paul mentions in 1 Cor 15. It also talks about the kingdom of God in the first and second articles: "We believe in God the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth...we believe in Jesus Christ...our Lord."

God is almighty, provident king of Creation. Jesus is the Christ, God's anointed king.

edit: It also mentions the kingdom further in the second article (he sits at the right hand of God...he will come again to judge the living and the dead) and in the third article (we believe the church).

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0