England
✟56,279.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Since my first semester is over, I have a couple of weeks free time to study apologetics and read more of the bible, as well as listen to sermons since I haven’t had the opportunity to do just that during the past.
Apologetics gripped more of my attention.
I also finished educating myself of early Christian history and the infallibility of the Bible.
I am currently listening to John Piper, John MacArthur, Ravi Zacharias, Ray Comfort, Paul Washer among others.

Tell me about your walk in the knowledge of our Lord?

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It all changed for me when I read early church fathers, such as ignatius and iraneus and Justin Martyr. Some who were taught by apostles, others not long after. Did you read ignatius to smyrneans where he says a Eucharist of real presence is only valid if performed by bishop or appointee? Since he was taught by John, we must take notice! Justin martyr said it was " the flesh of jesus" Or iraneus when he says all churches must take their doctrine from Rome?

Since my first semester is over, I have a couple of weeks free time to study apologetics and read more of the bible, as well as listen to sermons since I haven’t had the opportunity to do just that during the past.
I also finished educating myself of early Christian history and the infallibility of the Bible.
I am currently listening to John Piper, John MacArthur, Ravi Zacharias, Ray Comfort, Paul Washer among others.

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm reading Augustine's anti-pelagian writings myself (and some of his sermons). I'd recommend those if you haven't already glanced at them. You can't get better apologetic material than what we have in the first 1241 years of Church history (I'm very specific with this number because Thomas Aquinas passed around 1274 AD, and his Summa is something to behold.)

Reactions: Gell
Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
Texas
✟482,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Word of advice, not to get you down at all about your research, because that's great and super exciting!

I would avoid Paul Washer like the plague: I perceive him to be a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Upvote 0

Gell

Redeemed
Site Supporter
May 9, 2018
England
✟56,279.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Word of advice, not to get you down at all about your research, because that's great and super exciting!

I would avoid Paul Washer like the plague: I perceive him to be a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Can I ask why?

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's great that you are doing that. Recently, I read Kierkegaard's Fear and Trembling. It's a short analysis of the Abraham's faith in being willing to sacrifice Isaac to God. Philosphy in Seven Sentences by Douglas Groothuis is a good short intro to philosophy.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
For me, a big part being asking "why do I believe _____" and "what exactly is _____". Really focusing on understanding what and why I believe what I do. Because I know what I believe, I can explain it and I don't fear what others believe. Instead, I can talk (and listen!) openly with the many diverse peoples I find on campus and throughout life :)

PS: I love Ravi Zacharias' work!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,933,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Gell, a book you may be interested in reading is Gregory Koukl's, Tactics (A Game Plan For Discussing Your Christian Convictions). It well help you help others learn to think critically for themselves about the Christian faith, rather than you simply feeding it all to them (I believe this style of teaching is often referred to as the Socratic method).

This can be particularly helpful when defending the faith because the people you are talking to about it can't get quite as upset with you when they've come to the conclusions about the truth for themselves ;)

You might also find these two sites useful (they are both founded by Dr. R C Sproul, Ligonier being his main teaching website, and Renewing Your Mind his 30 min daily radio broadcast/now internet "broadcast" site). There are many theologians and pastors who are "teaching fellows" with Ligonier/Renewing Your Mind as well (even John MacArthur teaches fairly regularly with them, and is normally a teacher at their national conferences as well, just FYI).

*(Renewing Your Mind has a broadcast archive, which can be helpful if you're looking for a particular subject. Oh, and some of Dr. Sproul's messages are available at Amazon Prime in HD. If you're a member, just search the word "Sproul" and you'll find them.)

Yours and His,
David

1 Peter 3
15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.

Upvote 0

Gell

Redeemed
Site Supporter
May 9, 2018
England
✟56,279.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi Gell, a book you may be interested in reading is Gregory Koukl's, Tactics (A Game Plan For Discussing Your Christian Convictions). It well help you help others learn to think critically for themselves about the Christian faith, rather than you simply feeding it all to them (I believe this style of teaching is often referred to as the Socratic method).

This can be particularly helpful when defending the faith because the people you are talking to about it can't get quite as upset with you when they've come to the conclusions about the truth for themselves ;)

You might also find these two sites useful (they are both founded by Dr. R C Sproul, Ligonier being his main teaching website, and Renewing Your Mind his 30 min daily radio broadcast/now internet "broadcast" site). There are many theologians and pastors who are "teaching fellows" with Ligonier/Renewing Your Mind as well (even John MacArthur teaches fairly regularly with them, and is normally a teacher at their national conferences as well, just FYI).

*(Renewing Your Mind has a broadcast archive, which can be helpful if you're looking for a particular subject. Oh, and some of Dr. Sproul's messages are available at Amazon Prime in HD. If you're a member, just search the word "Sproul" and you'll find them.)

Yours and His,
David

1 Peter 3
15 Sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence.
Yep. :) I forgot to include RC Sproul on my list. I do listen to Ligonier ministries as well.
Synthesising all the teachings and looking it up in the scriptures is much better that listening exclusively to one preacher, I found that worked best for me.
I’ve heard of Tactics and have read the book summary I think. I really like how it teaches the Christian to let the inquirer answer his/her own questions by asking certain questions/replies/feedbacks.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaveDavids

May 30, 2018
asheville
✟17,954.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess my real eye opening about the amazing book we call the Bible started with pre-biblical literature and studies of earlier textual sources, and also earlier linguistic cognates, mainly priestly sources, texts in cuneiform as well as the ancient priestly traditions dealing with their exegesis

I use sources like the Hebrew and Greek Concordances, the TWOT, the ePSD the CDLI, the CCP, the ETCSL, among others, all excellent sites

I don't really listen to any pastors / preachers just because I find their Bible educations so shallow in most cases

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yep. :) I forgot to include RC Sproul on my list. I do listen to Ligonier ministries as well.
Synthesising all the teachings and looking it up in the scriptures is much better that listening exclusively to one preacher, I found that worked best for me.
I’ve heard of Tactics and have read the book summary I think. I really like how it teaches the Christian to let the inquirer answer his/her own questions by asking certain questions/replies/feedbacks.
Hi; yes, I've heard good reports of R C Sproul. (I think he passed away recently.)

Upvote 0

Gell

Redeemed
Site Supporter
May 9, 2018
England
✟56,279.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi; yes, I've heard good reports of R C Sproul. (I think he passed away recently.)
Oh :( I'm glad that he is finally able to rest from his works. I'm confident that the Lord will continue to use his works to save God's people

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,933,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums