United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Hello

About a year ago I wrote my first post in this particular forum about coming into my own faith now after a year of searching for Christ I am more than certain that I want to be a Christian. I'm still having problems with my family accepting that my beliefs are no longer the same as theirs but I'm more independent now and so am able to explore the different option within Christianity without fear of retribution from my family. I'm beginning to feel quite alone in my journey to be able to truly worship and be in a church where I feel comfortable to love God the way that I do. Are there any other former seventh-day Adventists?

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,864.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello

About a year ago I wrote my first post in this particular forum about coming into my own faith now after a year of searching for Christ I am more than certain that I want to be a Christian. I'm still having problems with my family accepting that my beliefs are no longer the same as theirs but I'm more independent now and so am able to explore the different option within Christianity without fear of retribution from my family. I'm beginning to feel quite alone in my journey to be able to truly worship and be in a church where I feel comfortable to love God the way that I do. Are there any other former seventh-day Adventists?

Well, Curious, it's looks like you're on your own ... but only if you are strictly wanting to identify with others from the Seventh-day Adventist circle of faith. If you expand your circle of identification a bit, perhaps by identifying with Christians from other denominations who also diverge slightly from their past denominational affiliation, then you'll feel less alone.

For instance, I've never believed in the 'Rapture' idea. So, you can imagine how comfortable I feel in a discussion with many of the Southern Baptist that I typically hang-out with....not very. ;) But, I try not to let it get me down. We still have our faith in Christ and His work upon which we can agree, from a basic notional level at least.

It should be ok for every one of us to have some latitude in how we attempt to grasp and grow in our continual understanding of who Jesus is and what God is doing in our own lives and in the world, with no one Christian person downing all the rest with some "final answer." All of us are on a journey to meet the Lord that we all presently know, however imperfectly.

Peace
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One who wants to know and live for God, must read and study His Word, else they will just be a follower of religious ideas by others and their own reasoning. I recommend one first get a grasp of John 1; John 3; John 14, then be in communion with God to reveal the truth of it ---being ready to trust God and His holy Word.

Daily reading of the Gospels one day, then reading in Acts and the Epistles on other days; and even allowing a time each week to read in the Old Testament from the beginning to learn some history of God and His dealing with mankind, will all help one know God and His great salvation and blessings to faithful ones. Make God and His beloved Son ---the Lord Jesus, your best Friend.

This will keep you going on well; and you might then even look for a truly Bible-only Christian fellowship to learn, find Godly fellowship, and grow in the path of God.

Upvote 0

sparkle123

Site Supporter
May 1, 2015
✟64,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I converted while married to an atheist husband whos family is vocally hostile to Christianity. When he and I were married I was calling myself Buddhist and we were doing meditation retreats and meditating together--it was not thrilling to him to have me convert and stop all of that. My family is nominally Christian (Lutheran) and doesn't go to church, in fact they are critical of church goers as being snobby and judgemental and out of touch and so on. So I am looked down upon by my family and seen as a fanatic, generally. I have to keep a lot to myself, so I can relate to feelings of being alone. I know I am not a seventh day Adventist but just wanted to say that you're not alone in going against the wishes and beliefs of those close to you to love God in your own way. My husband will likely never want to hear much about my belief in Christ because he's happier thinking we're basically the same in our worldview--same with parents and in laws. It's definitely not an easy path. Detaching your sense of being loved from their approval and putting that into God instead is an everyday challenge.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2017
London
✟16,012.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hello

Hi Curious,

I know that your post was sent almost a year ago but I'm responding at this time as this is my first time to view it after having become a New Member last week.

I empathise very much with your thoughts and feelings and would love to explore discussion about your journey as well as my own since I've left Adventism, maybe 5 years or so back now. Love to get in touch and speak about it. As you know and have said, it can get lonely, extremely lonely. My parents and 2 brothers along with their wives all still belong to the Adventist Church. They’ve become even more dogmatic in recent years and so the differences between us along with the suspicion against me are very much real and have, despite all appearances, driven us to become far apart. And I struggle generally with their cult-like attitude and the approach they take with their own children.

Anyhow, hope you’ll get in touch.

God be with you on your journey.

UltimateRealityQuest

Upvote 0