Anyone know how to get out of jury duty?

smurfy2day

Bring it On
Sep 2, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
✟16,482.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just got summoned and am NOT a happy camper.

PLUS, they want ME to pay for the stamp when I send the stupid application back in. Pretty petty of me to complain, but it still irks me.......

If you know how to get out of it, let me know.

I'm thinking of saying I'm in the KKK, the NRA, I'm a hell-fire and brimstone preacher...... :D.... Just kidding, but this really bites.

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
smurfy...you're young. :) No offense...but this is actually a good thing.

I got called to jury duty when I was 20 as well. And I sat around all day before I got called up to be asked questions by the lawyers. I wound up getting dismissed because I was young...and the lawyer for the defendant didn't want any young people on the jury. :)

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
I am sorry, little one, but on this one I mut disagree with you. I realize it is an inconvience to serve some times and even a hardship. But this is what America is all about. It is an honor and privilege to serve on a Jury and even a Grand Jury. Last time I got a check for $6.00, but to tell the truth, I was proud of that check as much as any other. Go and serve and be proud for the opportunity.

God will bless you because it is a service to your government which he told us to be subject to.

Upvote 0
Unless it is a medical reason....you are going! I tried to get out of it when my baby was first born because I was nursing, and they said "No".

Just go and you will be surprised at how interesting it is. I can tell you though. It really makes you NOT want to be the person sitting in the defendent chair :( The process is very interesting though.

Upvote 0

smurfy2day

Bring it On
Sep 2, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
✟16,482.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Gerry
I am sorry, little one, but on this one I mut disagree with you. I realize it is an inconvience to serve some times and even a hardship. But this is what America is all about. It is an honor and privilege to serve on a Jury and even a Grand Jury. Last time I got a check for $6.00, but to tell the truth, I was proud of that check as much as any other. Go and serve and be proud for the opportunity.

God will bless you because it is a service to your government which he told us to be subject to.

Gerry, I am VERY anti-court system after a particularly traumatizing experience with our wonderful court system.

No, to me it is not a privilege, it is a bother, and is NOT what America is all about... sitting in judgement of your fellow brother? I do not feel this is ANYTHING to be proud of and is NOT an opportunity. Not everyone thinks America is perfect.......

"Judge not lest you be judged" is what the Bible tells us, so how will God bless me for going against His wishes? Something of a doble standard there, huh? :( 

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, Smurfy, it states right in the Constitution that a defendant has the right to a trial with a jury of his peers. So, really, it is exactly what America is all about. Rather than a single judge who might rule with personal prejudice, you get a jury of twelve every day people who can see both sides. That's how it is fair. Unless you are deathly ill or on active military duty, you have to go. It's a crime not to. And it is a disservice to your fellow American, no matter how you may personally feel. This is part of growing up, so just go and do it, and chalk it up to experience.

Upvote 0

smurfy2day

Bring it On
Sep 2, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
✟16,482.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Dewjunkie
Actually, Smurfy, it states right in the Constitution that a defendant has the right to a trial with a jury of his peers. So, really, it is exactly what America is all about. Rather than a single judge who might rule with personal prejudice, you get a jury of twelve every day people who can see both sides. That's how it is fair. Unless you are deathly ill or on active military duty, you have to go. It's a crime not to. And it is a disservice to your fellow American, no matter how you may personally feel. This is part of growing up, so just go and do it, and chalk it up to experience.

Growing up has NOTHING to do this. When a jury of so-called "peers" handed me over to an abusive father during divorce proceedings, because my father was a "higher up" in the community, this did not make me look well on the judicial system. That is a system that is here to protect, and does NOT do it's job. Plus, I had the wonderful experience of working with our court system for a couple of years, with a government job. Wonderful system we have here in the US, let me tell you.

However, the problem with the Constitution does not say how that peer group should be chosen. They randomly get to pick your behind out of a black top hat, so to speak. Jury duty should be run on a volunteer basis ONLY. As a CHRISTIAN I feel it is wrong to sit in judgement on my brother........  

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Obviously, you registered to vote, otherwise you would not have been selected. By choosing to vote, you take on the responsibilities of all that goes with selecting our leaders and our laws. One of those responsiblities is jury duty. I don't know your situation, and if your treated poorly by the system, then you have a right to be angry. But being angry and being responsible are 2 different things. If you don't do your civic duty, then you may cheat another person out of the fair trial they deserve. As a Christian, you should use your beliefs to be the best juror you can. If it had been all Christians on the jury in your particular trial, the outcome probably would have been different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
As an FYI...as I was moving in and out of my parent's house...I never re-registered to vote...and I just got recently asked to fill out a questionaire. And the top of the form, at least in NY, says that they not only use voting registration to find people, but also registered drivers and tax forms. :)

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by AngelAmidala
As an FYI...as I was moving in and out of my parent's house...I never re-registered to vote...and I just got recently asked to fill out a questionaire. And the top of the form, at least in NY, says that they not only use voting registration to find people, but also registered drivers and tax forms. :)

Interesting info, Angel, thanks. 

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Interesting info, Angel, thanks. 

You're welcome!  :)  It actually kinda weirded me out when I got the form to fill out because I hadn't changed my license address yet either (was waiting for when I had to renew it)...and I got the form to where I"m living now.  So I was like, how'd they find out where I'm living??  Then I saw the part about the taxes...and I had my new address on there.  :)

Upvote 0

smurfy2day

Bring it On
Sep 2, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
✟16,482.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Obviously, you registered to vote, otherwise you would not have been selected. By choosing to vote, you take on the responsibilities of all that goes with selecting our leaders and our laws. One of those responsiblities is jury duty. I don't know your situation, and if your treated poorly by the system, then you have a right to be angry. But being angry and being responsible are 2 different things. If you don't do your civic duty, then you may cheat another person out of the fair trial they deserve. As a Christian, you should use your beliefs to be the best juror you can. If it had been all Christians on the jury in your particular trial, the outcome probably would have been different.

Nope unfortunately they choose by driver's licenses numbers in the state of Michigan. And I choose NOT to vote...... another choice, so I am not making the laws....... So again, this is not MY civic duty, nor is it my fight.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟277,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, when I went, I thought it was interesting. They didn't pay much, but I was unemployed at the time anyway, so at least it was hamburger money. :) I was called for an attempted murder trial, a drug trial, and a 1st-degree criminal sexual misconduct trial. I never made the jury selection for the last one, for which I was profoundly grateful (it was a 35-year old man and a ten-year old girl; they were going to put the kid on the stand, and I did NOT want to sit through it.)

My wife got out of it when she was pregnant with my son because her doctor said she was not to be doing anything other than as little as possible. The doc wouldn't even let her go to work. She liked that. :)

My father (the Pacific veteran) was called only once, and that was in 1947. It was a murder trial, and the defense attorney asked him, "Do you think you can be a fair and impartial juror?" Dad replied, "If it's a Jap, hang him!" He was dismissed and never called again. :D

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
((it is a bother, and is NOT what America is all about... sitting in judgement of your fellow brother))

Just about everyone, at one time or another gets to be harrassed by the court system. Which means you pay your $100 and learn to be more careful about following the law.

But as far as a serious crime that would require someone to go to jail. A society or a country can only afford to put about 5% of their people in jail. So if you can not manage to be in with the 95% of the people who manage to stay out of jail, then there is something wrong somewhere.

Granted, that 5% changes over time. But still, if at any given time, you can not manage to get into a 95% group, what are you going to do come judgement day, when only one third will be saved?

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by smurfy2day

Nope unfortunately they choose by driver's licenses numbers in the state of Michigan. And I choose NOT to vote...... another choice, so I am not making the laws....... So again, this is not MY civic duty, nor is it my fight.

Sooooo....if you choose not to vote, nor have a say in the laws, then you cannot complain about them.  If you don't like it, try to change it.  Otherwise, deal with it or move to another country where they don't have juries. 

Upvote 0

Gerry

Jesus Paid It All
May 1, 2002
Visit site
✟14,307.00
Actually that is not what that verse is all about at all, but that is for another time and another forum. But I want you to know I am very sorry about your bad experience with the legal system. Sounds to be like you were indeed a victim of it, as so many of us have been. Nevertheless, it is still the only system we have and the best in the world in spite of all its flaws. No I would think we have to work within the system to do all we can to prevent someone else from becoming a victim also of the system. Who knows, maybe your no vote might keep an innocent man from being convicted by a bunch of peoiple who are either making a mistake or don't really care much.

At any rate we dare not throw the Baby out with the bathwater!

Gerry, I am VERY anti-court system after a particularly traumatizing experience with our wonderful court system.

No, to me it is not a privilege, it is a bother, and is NOT what America is all about... sitting in judgement of your fellow brother? I do not feel this is ANYTHING to be proud of and is NOT an opportunity. Not everyone thinks America is perfect.......

"Judge not lest you be judged" is what the Bible tells us, so how will God bless me for going against His wishes? Something of a doble standard there, huh? :( 

Upvote 0

IndyCision

Dakoda Motor Co.
Jan 31, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
✟17,756.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

However, the problem with the Constitution does not say how that peer group should be chosen. They randomly get to pick your behind out of a black top hat, so to speak. Jury duty should be run on a volunteer basis ONLY. As a CHRISTIAN I feel it is wrong to sit in judgement on my brother........  

So your option is to have only people on jury duty who are of no religuos affiliation and who are willing to leave there job for a time and make $6 a day.  I'm not sure the american judicial system would be well served by a large group of poor athiests.

Jurist are randomly selected because it helps avoid the possibility of a small group of people making most of the decisions, a system that would probably end up being corrupt. 

Weather it's a judge or a jury, someone in America has to judge someone else in America.  The only way that would not be the case is if we had no laws, but that would mean somebody else gets to enforce their rules. 

However, I think that if you told them what you think fo the jury system, you'll probably not be selected.

Upvote 0