Anyone have a case for Relativism?

E

Elioenai26

But that is the problem with how your holy book is written, it leaves no provisions for matters like Euthanasia.

To be certain, the bible no where mentions Euthanasia or other contemporary issues like abortion or Gay rights or the right to bear arms. The above issues are dealt with in what is called applied ethics. Applied ethics deals with how certain moral values should be applied, practiced, and enforced regarding specific situations and circumstances.

When correctly understanding the term in this correct fashion we can clearly see that the underlying critical issue is what values should we base our ethics on?

When we understand the question this way we can see how the Bible and the Judeo Christian worldview furnish the most comprehensive and morally virtuous system of vaules known to man. For it is most certainly not the do whatever you feel, whenever you feel, however you feel, whatever you feel is right morally relativistic view of postmodernism that has been the basis for every judicial system in Western civilization, but rather, the Judeo Christian biblical view that all men are created equal with certain inalienable rights. It is the biblical view of man and his intrinsic worth that give us the basis for the values that we hold to be most dear. It is the Bible that teaches us that men and women both are worthy of honor, respect, dignity and deserve to be loved and cared for. It is the Bible that teaches us that we are not mere cousins to primate animals, but that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. It is the bible that teaches us to love our enemies and to do good to those who hate and despise us, to lend and not expect anything back, to go the extra mile, to lay one's life down for one's friend, to always look for the good in others. To speak the truth in love and to expect to be praised for doing good and judged for doing evil.

I could go on and on for days as to why the Bible was, is, and always will be the greatest, most sublime system of ethical values in the world.

How do you know that God is ok with you pulling the plug on someone? Perhaps God gave them that illness for a reason, and by you pulling the plug, you're interfering with what God's plan is?

Notice in my example regarding my mother being taken off of life support, that I stated very plainly that one of the requirements for making the decision to take my mother of off life support would be that I had prayed to God about it and had received peace from God about it. I would never ever ever try to assume to do something so serious as taking my mother of off life support without first seeking God's will and knowing that it was indeed his will.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
To be certain, the bible no where mentions Euthanasia or other contemporary issues like abortion or Gay rights or the right to bear arms. The above issues are dealt with in what is called applied ethics. Applied ethics deals with how certain moral values should be applied, practiced, and enforced regarding specific situations and circumstances.

When correctly understanding the term in this correct fashion we can clearly see that the underlying critical issue is what values should we base our ethics on?

When we understand the question this way we can see how the Bible and the Judeo Christian worldview furnish the most comprehensive and morally virtuous system of vaules known to man. For it is most certainly not the do whatever you feel, whenever you feel, however you feel, whatever you feel is right morally relativistic view of postmodernism that has been the basis for every judicial system in Western civilization, but rather, the Judeo Christian biblical view that all men are created equal with certain inalienable rights.

Where in the Bible does it say anything of the sort?

It is the biblical view of man and his intrinsic worth that give us the basis for the values that we hold to be most dear. It is the Bible that teaches us that men and women both are worthy of honor, respect, dignity and deserve to be loved and cared for. It is the Bible that teaches us that we are not mere cousins to primate animals, but that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. It is the bible that teaches us to love our enemies and to do good to those who hate and despise us, to lend and not expect anything back, to go the extra mile, to lay one's life down for one's friend, to always look for the good in others. To speak the truth in love and to expect to be praised for doing good and judged for doing evil.

I could go on and on for days as to why the Bible was, is, and always will be the greatest, most sublime system of ethical values in the world.

I think you may be looking at the Bible through rose-tinted glasses.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
the Judeo Christian biblical view that all men are created equal with certain inalienable rights.

You should take a good hard look at the irony of your statement.... Seeing as the Bible was used for milennia to justify the slaughter of the "Judeo" part of your "Judeo-Christian" Society.

You'll notice Jews never use the term Judeo-Christian, and there's good reason for it. They are fully aware that the U.S was not founded on Judeo-Christian virtues, and were just as persecuted in the U.S. as they were anywhere else right up until the second world war. It was only after the Holocaust did the Christians wake up and see the effects of their bigotry towards them, and started using amazingly offensive terms like "Judeo-Christian" to whitewash the fact that they were responsible for the wholesale genocide of these people right back to the Iron Age.

All men are created equal? Give me a break, the Bible preaches the exact opposite message. It talks of Chosen People, and black people being cast into servitude, and killing non-believers, or homosexuals, or any other number of arbitrary offences. There is a great deal of racism and misogyny to be found in those pages.

The concept that all men are created equal did not arise for well over a thousand years after the Bible was written, and it was put into the U.S. Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson.... A Deist who also called Christianity "the most perverted system ever shone on man".

Any book that promotes slavery, genocide and the rape of captured female virgins as spoils of war, among many other atrocities, and simple bad advice (not to say there isn't some good morals within the book), does not qualify as the greatest system of ethics in the world.

In fact, I would argue it wasn't even the greatest system of ethics when it was originally written in the Bronze Age, as classical Greek Philosophy predates the book by centuries.

Notice in my example regarding my mother being taken off of life support, that I stated very plainly that one of the requirements for making the decision to take my mother of off life support would be that I had prayed to God about it and had received peace from God about it. I would never ever ever try to assume to do something so serious as taking my mother of off life support without first seeking God's will and knowing that it was indeed his will.

And how do you know you have received peace from God? You could simply be making stuff up in your head.

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Any book that promotes slavery, genocide and the rape of captured female virgins as spoils of war, among many other atrocities, and simple bad advice (not to say there isn't some good morals within the book), does not qualify as the greatest system of ethics in the world.

In fact, I would argue it wasn't even the greatest system of ethics when it was originally written in the Bronze Age, as classical Greek Philosophy predates the book by centuries.

I would also add that vicarious redemption completely destroys the very concept of morality.

I could spend my entire life raping and murdering victim after victim, then have a deathbed conversion and go on to an eternity of reward in heaven.

Meanwhile, my victims get less than nothing. The ones who happened to be Christian get to spend eternity with the person who raped and murdered them. The ones who committed the unforgivable sin of unbelief can look forward to an eternity of torture for their trouble.

So, even if there were an 'objective law giver', and even if we could reliably ascertain what those laws were and predicate a system of morality on them, that system would look absolutely nothing like the morality of the Bible. Morality without responsibility is nothing.

Reactions: Dave Ellis
Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I would also add that vicarious redemption completely destroys the very concept of morality.

I could spend my entire life raping and murdering victim after victim, then have a deathbed conversion and go on to an eternity of reward in heaven.

Meanwhile, my victims get less than nothing. The ones who happened to be Christian get to spend eternity with the person who raped and murdered them. The ones who committed the unforgivable sin of unbelief can look forward to an eternity of torture for their trouble.

So, even if there were an 'objective law giver', and even if we could reliably ascertain what those laws were and predicate a system of morality on them, that system would look absolutely nothing like the morality of the Bible. Morality without responsibility is nothing.

Well said, I fully agree.

Upvote 0
E

Elioenai26

You should take a good hard look at the irony of your statement.... Seeing as the Bible was used for milennia to justify the slaughter of the "Judeo" part of your "Judeo-Christian" Society.

It is true, some anti-semitics did use anti-semitic interpretaions of the bible to give credence to their causes which were clearly not biblical.

What is your point?

You'll notice Jews never use the term Judeo-Christian, and there's good reason for it. They are fully aware that the U.S was not founded on Judeo-Christian virtues, and were just as persecuted in the U.S. as they were anywhere else right up until the second world war.

What virtues were they founded on?

It was only after the Holocaust did the Christians wake up and see the effects of their bigotry towards them, and started using amazingly offensive terms like "Judeo-Christian" to whitewash the fact that they were responsible for the wholesale genocide of these people right back to the Iron Age.

Christians were bigots towards Jews? How did you arrive at that conclusion? Are you saying that because some anti-semitic, anti-Christian (Christ was a Jew by the way, as well as the majority of first century Christians) people who used the influences of the Christian church to propagate their anti-Christian dogma, that Christians were bigots? If that is not the most wrong-headed view I have ever heard of then I do not know what is. You must have read that from some infidel website. Christianity was founded upon the Judaism and owes its very existence to Judaism and its rich heritage. Christ was a decendant of Kind David, and it was Christ who said that salvation was of the Jews.

I suggest you do your homework a little more thouroughly before posting stuff like this.

All men are created equal? Give me a break, the Bible preaches the exact opposite message.

And God said, let Us make man in Our own image and likeness. Surely you have read that before right? It does not say some men, it does not say let us make some men in our image, but man. Mankind. You know, the human race?

It talks of Chosen People, and black people being cast into servitude, and killing non-believers, or homosexuals, or any other number of arbitrary offences. There is a great deal of racism and misogyny to be found in those pages.

Really? You must be reading a different bible than I and every other Christian read. And even IF all of what you said was true, that still does not follow that all men are not created equal.

Incidentally, and I thought you might like to know since you are so ignorant as to what the U.S. founding fathers used as its foundational principles and virtues, the following comes from the second sentence of the Declaration of Independence which was a statement adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, which announced that the thirteen American colonies, then at war with Great Britain, regarded themselves as independent states, and no longer a part of the British Empire. *Wikipedia*:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

This has been called "one of the best-known sentences in the English language",[5] containing "the most potent and consequential words in American history."[6] The passage came to represent a moral standard to which the United States should strive. This view was notably promoted by Abraham Lincoln, who considered the Declaration to be the foundation of his political philosophy, and argued that the Declaration is a statement of principles through which the United States Constitution should be interpreted.[7] It has inspired work for the rights of marginalized people throughout the world. *Wikipedia*

The concept that all men are created equal did not arise for well over a thousand years after the Bible was written, and it was put into the U.S. Declaration of Independence by Thomas Jefferson.... A Deist who also called Christianity "the most perverted system ever shone on man".

Even if he did say that and that was his view, he sure did not mind signing his name to a document composed by men who saw the Judeo-Christian principles as the only one's worthy of founding a nation on.

Why don't you throw some quotes of George Washington in there since you want to quote people so much. Quote the First president of the United States if you are going to quote anyone. What does he say?

I wholeheartedly agree!

Classical philosophy predates what book? What book are you talking about?

And how do you know you have received peace from God? You could simply be making stuff up in your head.

Or I could know because I have a relationship with Him. Relationships are built on communication, you do know that right?

Upvote 0
E

Elioenai26

Why? Those questions are beside the point. Is it moral to be non-kosher?

What is kosher?

What does it mean to be kosher?

You keep asking me questions about a subject, and then when I ask you to tell me a little bit about it and why its important, you say that it is beside the point!:confused:

What if I just say your questions are beside the point and leave it at that?

Now if you want to engage in respectful, fruitful discussion like a man, then tell me a little bit about the concept of what kosher is.

Its your question. If you do not want to discuss it, then do not ask me again what my view is.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It is true, some anti-semitics did use anti-semitic interpretaions of the bible to give credence to their causes which were clearly not biblical.

What is your point?

Christians were bigots towards Jews? How did you arrive at that conclusion? Are you saying that because some anti-semitic, anti-Christian (Christ was a Jew by the way, as well as the majority of first century Christians) people who used the influences of the Christian church to propagate their anti-Christian dogma, that Christians were bigots? If that is not the most wrong-headed view I have ever heard of then I do not know what is. You must have read that from some infidel website. Christianity was founded upon the Judaism and owes its very existence to Judaism and its rich heritage. Christ was a decendant of Kind David, and it was Christ who said that salvation was of the Jews.

I suggest you do your homework a little more thouroughly before posting stuff like this.

And God said, let Us make man in Our own image and likeness. Surely you have read that before right? It does not say some men, it does not say let us make some men in our image, but man. Mankind. You know, the human race?

Really? You must be reading a different bible than I and every other Christian read. And even IF all of what you said was true, that still does not follow that all men are not created equal.

Incidentally, and I thought you might like to know since you are so ignorant as to what the U.S. founding fathers used as its foundational principles and virtues, the following comes from the second sentence of the Declaration of Independence which was a statement adopted by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776, which announced that the thirteen American colonies, then at war with Great Britain, regarded themselves as independent states, and no longer a part of the British Empire. *Wikipedia*:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

This has been called "one of the best-known sentences in the English language",[5] containing "the most potent and consequential words in American history."[6] The passage came to represent a moral standard to which the United States should strive. This view was notably promoted by Abraham Lincoln, who considered the Declaration to be the foundation of his political philosophy, and argued that the Declaration is a statement of principles through which the United States Constitution should be interpreted.[7] It has inspired work for the rights of marginalized people throughout the world. *Wikipedia*

Even if he did say that and that was his view, he sure did not mind signing his name to a document composed by men who saw the Judeo-Christian principles as the only one's worthy of founding a nation on.

Why don't you throw some quotes of George Washington in there since you want to quote people so much. Quote the First president of the United States if you are going to quote anyone. What does he say?

I wholeheartedly agree!

Or I could know because I have a relationship with Him. Relationships are built on communication, you do know that right?

:cheer::congratm:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
E

Elioenai26

Yep. There's lots of evidence that deep down the OP knows that morals are just subjective judgments about the way we're supposed to treat other people. He doesn't seem to like that conclusion, though, so tries to use a series of arguments from consequence to convince himself that reality is different from what he really knows it is. Your post points it out, as do the posts saying we shouldn't believe religious-based claims of objective morality, as do the posts asking to be reassured about subjective judgements about various extreme moral choices.

You are your own evidence that objective moral values and duties exist.

I will tell you a true story and then ask you a question.

"KCfromNC, a man in Alabama recently jumped on a school bus and pointed a gun at the bus driver and said something to the effect that he wanted some kids off of the school bus. The bus driver said no, and he was shot dead for refusing to give up any children from the bus. The shooter then kidnapped a young 5 year old boy and held him hostage for a week. After negotiations broke down, the man refused to give up the child and he was killed:

My question is simple:

Were this man's actions wrong even though he was of the opinion that what he was doing was justified by his desire to have some kids off of the school bus?

Your answer in the affirmative will be your evidence. The evidence will come from your own mouth that at least one objective moral value or duty exists.

If you say he was wrong even though it was his opinion he was right, then you are saying he was objectively wrong. That is all that objective in this sense means. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you do not say: "Yes Elioenai26, this man was objectively wrong", then I have a followup question for you:

If he was not objectively wrong, meaning, wrong even though he thought he was right, then what was he? How would you categorize his actions? If he was not wrong, what was he? Were his actions:

A. Morally neutral, that is, the man's actions have no moral component at all for no act is inherently either moral or immoral. These concepts do not refer to -Nihilism

B. Morally commendable and good?

Or...

C. Your opinion that he was wrong. If this is your view, then I have a followup question:

Followup question 1: If it is your opinion that he was wrong, and it was his opinion that he was right, then how is arbitration between the two opinions possible? There are only two possible responses:

Response R. - The societal judiciary system decides who is right and who is wrong. But this simply pushes the issue one step further back, for what is a society, but a colletive group of individuals? If no one view is objectively right or wrong, then who is to say that the majority view or general consensus within a society is the view which should be legislated? It seems that there would just once again, be opinions. In a hypothetical society, you have one-hundred people. Sixty of the one-hundred believe that school bus shootings are ok, and forty believe school bus shootings are bad. Who is to say that the view of the sixty should be preferred over the minority forty? The relativist would say, well the majority rules! But that just leads to the next obvious question: "Who says?" Who says the majority should rule over the minority? If the view that the majority should rule over the minority is itself an opinion with no objective referrent, then the minority could say that they should be able to rule over the majority. Who determines whose rules are legislated? Some would say well, hmm...Aha! Whichver view is based on empathy and sympathy and reason and which is more conducive to human flourishing should be the one accpeted. But this obviously leaves the question looming large: "Who says?" Why should those who disagree with that opinion agree with it? If sixty of the one-hundred say that the view which fosters happiness and reduces suffering should be accpeted, and forty say that their view which fosters greed, self-satisfaction, and fulfilling one's wildest fantasies and pleasures should be accepted, then: "Who says?" They are all opinions, and since there is no objective standard to which one can appeal to to judge the two opinions, then what are we left with? But surely one would say: "We should encourage the view which causes our species to survive and reproduce!" But once again: "Who says?" Why should that opinion be seen as being preferable to the opinion of: "eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die!" Who says we should act in a way that is conducive to our survival as a species? That in itself is just an opinion, like the opinion that one should live for the moment and not care about tomorrow, for tomorrow is not even promised. Everytime someone in a relativistic society comes up with a reason as to why one opinion should be preferred over another, the question will always come up: "Who says?" Some may even condede the point and say: "Well, it should be self-evident to people that regardless of their opinons, that we should live in a way in which it helps us, as a society, do away with human suffering and a way which helps us be happy!" But look at what this person just said. The moral relativist confesses here that it should be self-evident to people regardless of their opinions that we should live in such and such a way. But guess what this moral relativist no longer is when he speaks this way? HE IS NO LONGER A MORAL RELATIVIST! HE IS AT THE MINIMUM A BORN AGAIN MORAL REALIST. HE HAS FINALLY SEEN THE LIGHT!

Response S. - There is no way to adjudicate between the two, because all opinions are equally valid. In light of the above, this is the only response that one can give if they are consistent moral relativists. And look at what it leads to. It leads to the conclusion that there actually is no objective moral values and duties. And since the concepts of moral and immoral exist only if there is some objective standard by which they can be measured, as is demonstrated in response R., then the words moral and immoral actually have no meaning. They are just words void of content. This leads us back to A, moral nihilism.

If you say A. Then I can speak for every parent and say that I would not want you as a school bus driver or anywhere near any of my children or any other children. I would not want you to be my doctor, a law enforcement officer, a judge, or a teacher. I would not want you to be my neighbor, an airline pilot, a lawyer, a child care worker, and any other profession where people's lives could directly or indirectly be affected by your sociopathic view. You would also, by saying A. lose any right to make any moral judgments ever again here in this forum. You would never be able to say anything was wrong or evil or bad. You would never be able to make any moral pronouncements at all. For as a moral nihilist you assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived. Moral nihilism, also known as ethical nihilism, is the meta-ethical view that morality does not exist as something inherent to objective reality; therefore no action is necessarily preferable to any other. For example, a moral nihilist would say that killing someone, for whatever reason, is not inherently right or wrong. Other nihilists may argue not that there is no morality at all, but that if it does exist, it is a human construction and thus artificial, wherein any and all meaning is relative for different possible outcomes. As an example, if someone kills someone else, such a nihilist might argue that killing is not inherently a bad thing, or bad independently from our moral beliefs, because of the way morality is constructed as some rudimentary dichotomy. What is said to be a bad thing is given a higher negative weighting than what is called good: as a result, killing the individual was bad because it did not let the individual live, which was arbitrarily given a positive weighting. In this way a moral nihilist believes that all moral claims are false. *Wikipedia*

If you say B., well then, all I can say is, may God help you...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married

If you are in communication with a deity, that should be easy to demonstrate.

You should have access to knowledge that should, in some objective manner, demonstrate that this "communication" is more than one way.

Got anything?

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
If you say A. Then I can speak for every parent and say that I would not want you as a school bus driver or anywhere near any of my children or any other children. I would not want you to be my doctor, a law enforcement officer, a judge, or a teacher.
That´s ok, but unfortunately neither your opinion nor that of every parent makes a case for moral objectivism.
What - in your own definition - you are trying to establish is the existence of a morality independent of human perception and opinion. Thus, even if everyone agreed on a certain moral/ethical issue, this fact would be completely irrelevant for the case you are trying to make.

The problem with accepting the existence of "objective morality" (i.e. independent of humans perception and opinion) per se is that you would have to accept it even if no single human would agree with it, even if it were completely against your feelings, your conscience, your convictions, your intuition; even if it would be completely contrary to anything humans have ever broadly or even universally have agreed upon as their ethical/moral axioms, even if every single human would find it abhorrent and repugnant. That would be the litmus test.
The entire "every human feels so therefore it must exist independent of human opinion and perception" is as self-contradictory an argument as it can get.

Upvote 0
E

Elioenai26

That´s ok, but unfortunately neither your opinion nor that of every parent makes a case for moral objectivism.

That is exactly right! Moral objectivism is true or false based on whether or not objecive moral values and duties exist or not. My opinion and the opinion of others has nothing to do with their existence or non-existence. They either do exist, or they do not. Either the world is flat or it is round, you are quatona or you are not, Washington D.C. is the capital city of the US or it is not. ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE TRUE OR FALSE ACCORDING TO whether or not the proposition actually corresponds to reality, not one's opinion.

Notice also, I never gave that as an argument for the existence of o.m.v.d. I just said I, nor would any other parent want someone like that around our kids. It would be wrong for us to not have concern for the wellbeing of the defenseless.

What - in your own definition - you are trying to establish is the existence of a morality

Moral values and duties, but go on...

independent of human perception and opinion.

That is how philosophers use the term..proceed..

Thus, even if everyone agreed on a certain moral/ethical issue, this fact would be completely irrelevant for the case you are trying to make.

The problem with accepting the existence of "objective morality" (i.e. independent of humans perception and opinion) per se is that you would have to accept it even if no single human would agree with it, even if it were completely against your feelings, your conscience, your convictions, your intuition; even if it would be completely contrary to anything humans have ever broadly or even universally have agreed upon as their ethical/moral axioms, even if every single human would find it abhorrent and repugnant. That would be the litmus test.
The entire "every human feels so therefore it must exist independent of human opinion and perception" is as self-contradictory an argument as it can get.

There are several errors in your thinking. I shall enumerate them below:

1. You say that there is a problem with accepting the existence of objective moral values and duties and then give your main argument. But right here I can stop you and ask you this simple question: "What has accepting the existence of something have to do with the question of whether or not it actually exists?" You relate the two together in a sense and say: "In order for (x) to exist, then I must not have any problems accepting the existence of (x)." But this is clearly once again a classic example of attacking ontology with epistemology. I will give you a simple illustration to show you what I mean:

In order for God to exist, then I must not have any problems accepting the existence of God. But clearly, God's existence is determined by whether or not He actually exists, not the difficulties men have in accepting Him, or understanding Him. Indeed, God's existence may go against everything an atheist or for that matter, any person in the world, agrees with. God may be repugnant to them, He may be any number of things to them. But it is a non-sequitor to say that God's existence is determined by whether or not we accept His existence. God exists or He does not. We do not make Him exist by believing in Him, and we do not cause Him to cease to exist by not believing in Him. In fact, it is indirectly begging the question. You essentially are sayin that objective moral values and duties do not exist, because I have trouble accepting that objective moral values and duties exist. You having trouble believing that objective moral values and duties exist does not mean that they do not exist. If what you say is true then I could say I have trouble believing that atheists exist, therefore, atheists do not exist.:doh:

I have never argued that objective moral values and duties exist based solely on the idea that some values are agreed upon by everyone. But your argument is confused.

For you mention that we would have to accept objective moral values and duties even if they:

"completely against your feelings, your conscience, your convictions, your intuition; even if it would be completely contrary to anything humans have ever broadly or even universally have agreed upon as their ethical/moral axioms, even if every single human would find it abhorrent and repugnant. That would be the litmus test"

But quatona, surely the only objective moral values and duties that we have reason to believe exist, if you believe they exist, are moral values and duties that are good, right, and conducive to human wellbeing. It seems strange to me to argue that objective moral values and duties do not exist because we would have to obey them even if they were abhorrent and repugnant. This is wrong on so many levels.

1. You seem to think that an objective moral value or duty is something that someone is forced to follow against their will. This simply is a misunderstanding of the word objective. If there were hypothetical objecive moral values and duties such as: "rape is right", or "murder is good", we have the ability to choose to follow and live by these or reject them and live according to some other proposed ethic.

2. The above is based on a purely speculative and unsubstantiated "what if" scenario. The truth of the matter is that arguing "what if" objective moral values and duties were (x) then we would be forced against our will to do (y), therefore objective moral values and duties do not exist is non-sequitor on top of non-sequitor. None of it even follows logically and it is all based on a hypothetical we have no reason to believe is even possible.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
That is exactly right! Moral objectivism is true or false based on whether or not objecive moral values and duties exist or not. My opinion and the opinion of others has nothing to do with their existence or non-existence. They either do exist, or they do not. Either the world is flat or it is round, you are quatona or you are not, Washington D.C. is the capital city of the US or it is not. ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE TRUE OR FALSE ACCORDING TO whether or not the proposition actually corresponds to reality, not one's opinion.

Notice also, I never gave that as an argument for the existence of o.m.v.d. I just said I, nor would any other parent want someone like that around our kids. It would be wrong for us to not have concern for the wellbeing of the defenseless.

Moral values and duties, but go on...

That is how philosophers use the term..proceed..

There are several errors in your thinking. I shall enumerate them below:

1. You say that there is a problem with accepting the existence of objective moral values and duties and then give your main argument. But right here I can stop you and ask you this simple question: "What has accepting the existence of something have to do with the question of whether or not it actually exists?" You relate the two together in a sense and say: "In order for (x) to exist, then I must not have any problems accepting the existence of (x)." But this is clearly once again a classic example of attacking ontology with epistemology. I will give you a simple illustration to show you what I mean:

In order for God to exist, then I must not have any problems accepting the existence of God. But clearly, God's existence is determined by whether or not He actually exists, not the difficulties men have in accepting Him, or understanding Him. Indeed, God's existence may go against everything an atheist or for that matter, any person in the world, agrees with. God may be repugnant to them, He may be any number of things to them. But it is a non-sequitor to say that God's existence is determined by whether or not we accept His existence. God exists or He does not. We do not make Him exist by believing in Him, and we do not cause Him to cease to exist by not believing in Him. In fact, it is indirectly begging the question. You essentially are sayin that objective moral values and duties do not exist, because I have trouble accepting that objective moral values and duties exist. You having trouble believing that objective moral values and duties exist does not mean that they do not exist. If what you say is true then I could say I have trouble believing that atheists exist, therefore, atheists do not exist.:doh:

I have never argued that objective moral values and duties exist based solely on the idea that some values are agreed upon by everyone. But your argument is confused.

For you mention that we would have to accept objective moral values and duties even if they:

"completely against your feelings, your conscience, your convictions, your intuition; even if it would be completely contrary to anything humans have ever broadly or even universally have agreed upon as their ethical/moral axioms, even if every single human would find it abhorrent and repugnant. That would be the litmus test"

But quatona, surely the only objective moral values and duties that we have reason to believe exist, if you believe they exist, are moral values and duties that are good, right, and conducive to human wellbeing. It seems strange to me to argue that objective moral values and duties do not exist because we would have to obey them even if they were abhorrent and repugnant. This is wrong on so many levels.

1. You seem to think that an objective moral value or duty is something that someone is forced to follow against their will. This simply is a misunderstanding of the word objective. If there were hypothetical objecive moral values and duties such as: "rape is right", or "murder is good", we have the ability to choose to follow and live by these or reject them and live according to some other proposed ethic.

2. The above is based on a purely speculative and unsubstantiated "what if" scenario. The truth of the matter is that arguing "what if" objective moral values and duties were (x) then we would be forced against our will to do (y), therefore objective moral values and duties do not exist is non-sequitor on top of non-sequitor. None of it even follows logically and it is all based on a hypothetical we have no reason to believe is even possible.
Well, my post wasn´t meant to make a case for moral subjectivism. It was meant to cricticize your line of reasoning for the existence of objective morality - your persistent emphasis of what certain people feel.

And please, stop addressing what you feel "I seem to think". Just address my points for a change, that will do perfectly.

Just one point:
But quatona, surely the only objective moral values and duties that we have reason to believe exist, if you believe they exist, are moral values and duties that are good, right, and conducive to human wellbeing.
If they are independent of human perception and opinion there is no reason to assume they are designed to further our well-being. See my example of the lab rats of which you so convincingly pretended that it flew right over your head.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

Elioenai26

Well, my post wasn´t meant to make a case for moral subjectivism. It was meant to cricticize your line of reasoning for the existence of objective morality - your persistent emphasis of what certain people feel.

I have always appealed to people's cognitive reasoning abilities and to moral intuition (conscience) in addition to peoples five senses as proof that they themselves when presented with case examples, affirm the existence of objective moral values and duties on the pain of irrationality.

If they are independent of human perception and opinion there is no reason to assume they are designed to further our well-being. See my example of the lab rats of which you so convincingly pretended that it flew right over your head.

They are true and binding independent of human opinion. Binding in the sense that if we fail to fulfill a moral duty, we incur a sense of moral guilt.

You then go on to say there is no reason to assume they are designed to further our well being because they are independnet of human perception. But this is patently incorrect for at least two reasons:

1. Your usage of the phrase "they are independent of human perception" is taken to mean "existing without regard to humans". But this is not the sense in which philosophers understand this concept of objectivity. The concept of independence from human opinion simply means that a moral proposition's truth pertains not upon the acceptance of the referent subject, but rather upon the objective fact itself appealed to.

In other words, to say that for example: "rape is wrong", is to say that the act of rape being wrong is based not on what the subject's personal opinion about rape is, but rather, the objective moral duty being appealed to as support for the normative prescriptive evaluative judgment.

2. Whether one is a subjectivist or objectivist, it is undeniably clear that normative statements such as: "One should not rape a woman", or "Parents should love and protect their children", or "People should love their neighbor as themselves" are conducive to human well-being. In fact, in the absence of some defeater, we are to hold that every moral normative statement is conducive to human well-being. I mean after all, that is what morality is all about, right behavior or behavior conducive to human well being! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

What is your point?

The point is, saying Judeo-Christian principles is misleading, seeing as the Jews were treated as inferiors throughout most of the countries history.

I just find the term a little disingenuous. The term Judeo-Christian only arose after the second world war when the Christian Germans slaughtered millions of Jews, and the other Christians of the world felt bad about it. I just find it's a way for other Christians of the world to try to forget about the fact their religion for over a thousand years taught that what the Nazis did, was the correct thing to do. (And before you get bent out of shape over that remark, that was the very point of the inquisition)

I don't want to make a big stink about it, but I know some Jews who find the term offensive, and if I was a Jew myself, I'd likely feel the same way.

The country was largely founded on the ideas that came out of the Age of Enlightenment, of whom many of the founding fathers are considered major parts of.

Wow...

I suggest you read up on Martin Luther. Start with his paper titled "On the Jews and their lies".

Here's some excerpts from the work, written by the esteemed founder of Protestantism:

- "Jews are a base, whoring people, that is, no people of God, and their boast of lineage, circumcision, and law must be accounted as filth."

- "Jews are full of the Devil's Feces, which they wallow in like swine"

- The synagogue is an "Incorrigible harlot and evil [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]"

The advice he gave as far as dealing with Jews is as follows:

1. for Jewish synagogues and schools to be burned to the ground, and the remnants buried out of sight;
  2. for houses owned by Jews to be likewise razed, and the owners made to live in agricultural outbuildings;
  3. for their religious writings to be taken away;
  4. for Rabbis to be forbidden to preach, and to be executed if they do;
  5. for safe conduct on the roads to be abolished for Jews;
  6. for usury to be prohibited, and for all silver and gold to be removed and "put aside for safekeeping"; and
  7. for the Jewish population to be put to work as agricultural slave labor.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_jews_and_their_lies#cite_note-Luther1-4

The Nazis used Luther's work to further their own agenda, and displayed it prominently at the Nuremberg rallies. In fact, it played a fairly large role in European antisemitism between the reformation and the holocaust.

Every protestant sect can draw it's ties from this man's teachings, and many of them were just as antisemitic right up until the mid 20th century.

As for the Catholic Church, it only dropped it's accusation of "Deicide" against all Jews, and apologized for it's antisemitism during the time of Pope John Paul II.

I mean seriously... I'm not accusing the Christians of being overwhelmingly antisemitic in the present day. I give the various churches credit for moving away from their past evil deeds.

However even the most devout Christian has to admit the Christian faith has a long, widespread and bloody antisemitic history. Trying to whitewash it or pretend it never happened is just simply disrespectful to the countless victims during that era of Christianity.

Then how do you justify there being "chosen men" vs men that apparently are not chosen. If they're all made equally, then how do you determine who to choose?

Much less women, who definitely were not considered equal in Christian Theology.

You must also know that phrase was penned by Thomas Jefferson, a self described Deist who did not believe Jesus was any more than a mortal being, however believed he was a great philosopher.

In short, "the creator" talked about is not your God.

Likewise, even if it was, it's irrelevant. The Declaration of Independence is not considered a part of the American Legal System, and predates the Constitution, which is the basis of the countries law.

Within the constitution, there is a specific separation of church from state, and any attempted efforts to get God included in the constitution was voted down by the founding fathers.

So before you start labeling people as ignorant, perhaps you should pick up a history book and do some reading for yourself.

This is the same Abraham Lincoln who was also at the very best a deist, and who some have thought he was an outright non-believer?

The same Abraham Lincoln who never joined a church in his life, and famously stated: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my profession"?

Perhaps when he was referring to the Declaration of Independence, he might have been referring to the bulk of the document, rather than one fairly insignificant sentence in it. If he was a deist, he probably agreed with the creator line, however it would not have applied to the Christian God. If he was a non-believer, he probably wouldn't have cared all that much about that sentence, and focused on the rest of the text.

This shows your abject ignorance of the subject matter... "Signed his name to a document etc..."

He AUTHORED the document, which the other founding fathers, which were made up of Deists and Christians then signed. He didn't sign a document composed by Christians, the Christians (and deists) signed the document he wrote.

This document was composed by a man who called Christianity the most perverted system ever shone on mankind. I highly doubt he would then go on to advocate basing a new country on it's backwards teachings.

The Treaty of Tripoli, which was unanimously ratified by the 1st congress (which contained most of the founding fathers) also explicitly states that the United States was not founded on the Christian Religion.

What more evidence do you need? The country was based on the principles of the Age of Enlightenment, and noble principles they are.

Sure thing, here goes:

1. "I am persuaded, you will permit me to observe that the path of true piety is so plain as to require but little political direction. To this consideration we ought to ascribe the absence of any regulation, respecting religion, from the Magna-Carta of our country." - George Washington

(This was said to a gathering of clergy who complained that the constitution lacked any mention of God or Jesus (By Magna Carta he was referring to the then proposed constitution)

2. "We have abundant reason to rejoice that in this Land the light of truth and reason has triumphed over the power of bigotry and superstition ... In this enlightened Age and in this Land of equal liberty it is our boast, that a man's religious tenets will not forfeit the protection of the Laws, nor deprive him of the right of attaining and holding the highest Offices that are known in the United States." - George Washington

(Taken from a letter to the New Church of Baltimore)

3. "Sir, Washington was a Deist" - The Reverend Doctor James Abercrombie

(A reply to the Reverend Bird Wilson's enquiry about Washington's religious beliefs.... Abercrombie was the rector of the episcopal church Washington attended with his wife.)

4. "When Congress sat in Philadelphia, President Washington attended the Episcopal Church. The rector, Dr. Abercrombie, told me that on the days when the sacrament of the Lord's Supper was to be administered, Washington's custom was to arise just before the ceremony commenced, and walk out of the church. This became a subject of remark in the congregation, as setting a bad example. At length the Doctor undertook to speak of it, with a direct allusion to the President. Washington was heard afterwards to remark that this was the first time a clergyman had thus preached to him, and he should henceforth neither trouble the Doctor or his congregation on such occasions, and ever after that, upon communion days, 'he absented himself altogether from church.'"

- The Reverend Bird Wilson from his sermon "The Religion of the Presidents"

Should I continue?

I wholeheartedly agree!

Apparently not...

The Bible.

And how do you know the communication is coming from him, and not your own thoughts? One of the funny thing about believers is the fact that God always seems to agree perfectly with what they want to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You are your own evidence that objective moral values and duties exist.

I will tell you a true story and then ask you a question.

"KCfromNC, a man in Alabama recently jumped on a school bus and pointed a gun at the bus driver and said something to the effect that he wanted some kids off of the school bus. The bus driver said no, and he was shot dead for refusing to give up any children from the bus. The shooter then kidnapped a young 5 year old boy and held him hostage for a week. After negotiations broke down, the man refused to give up the child and he was killed:

My question is simple:

Were this man's actions wrong even though he was of the opinion that what he was doing was justified by his desire to have some kids off of the school bus?

Your answer in the affirmative will be your evidence. The evidence will come from your own mouth that at least one objective moral value or duty exists.

If you say he was wrong even though it was his opinion he was right, then you are saying he was objectively wrong. That is all that objective in this sense means. Nothing more, nothing less.

:doh:

The absurdity is mind-numbing....

Again, for the thousandth time, just because you think someone is wrong, and the vast bulk of society thinks an action is wrong, does not give evidence for objectivity AT ALL

Why do you keep putting forward reworded examples of the same argument that doesn't come close to proving your case?

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Excellent!

Ok, we can now make progress and easily close this debate.

Please prove, without resorting to any form of personal opinion, that the actions of the gunman in the hostage situation was wrong.

If you can do that, you have proven objectivism.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Which Judeo-Christian principles would those happen to be?

Upvote 0