princess heart

princess in training
Jan 22, 2004
Midwest USA
✟15,949.00
Faith
Christian
nvrbnunloved said:
I`ve always fancied trying beading, but thought it would be too fiddly, and I`d get too frustrated, LOL! So I`ll leave it to those of you will more nimble fingers!
Yeah, it can be fiddly if you fall in love with the little bitty seed beads (I did). But there are a lot of very easy projects that you can do, a single strand bracelet made with average size beads (I love those too!) can be made in about a half an hour. That is an estimate for a beginner's time. I can do one in about 10 minutes, but I have been a bead freak for years! Right now I seem to be stuck on bracelets, but I have done necklaces, earrings, and rings. I like looming, but I get really frustrated with the process of tucking in all the warp threads... I would rather confine myself to narrower pieces and do two needle weaving which is sooo easy! If you think you might like to make a bracelet and want the easiest ever project go to the bead section at a hobby store and get some memory wire for bracelets. All you need to use memory wire is a pair of needle nose pliers and the beads! It's kinda like stringing beads on a slinky, but it is a very good place for a beginner to start! (You shouldn't use wire cutters on memory wire, it is so stiff it will dent the blades. Hold the wire between the needle nose pliers at the point where you want the wire to end and bend it back and forth until the wire snaps.)

Upvote 0

The Smiling One

Sep 30, 2004
N. Nevada
Visit site
✟15,593.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I bead on occasion. I've made necklaces and earrings using eye pins, seed beads and glass beads. I also, make necklaces by threading a bead needle and making a daisy chain necklace with seed beads. It's my favorite and it doesn't take forever to finish!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

babyfishmouth

Nov 14, 2004
Minnesota
✟114.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey there...
I just started beading. I mostly do bracelets with seed beads, and I occasionally do dolls, have any of you seen them? They're adorable... If anyone is interested I'll tell you more.

Where do you get your ideas for projects? I would love to expand my horizons.

Have a great day!!

~Babyfishmouth :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

princess heart

princess in training
Jan 22, 2004
Midwest USA
✟15,949.00
Faith
Christian
loveall said:
I've never beaded but it looks so pretty. I wanted to give it a try, but is it an expensive hobby?
Hi Loveall! :wave:

Beading doesn't have to be expensive. There are some really expensive beads out there and if you find you enjoy beading you will probably want them eventually, but it is perfectly alright to start out with a handful of packages of beads from the craft department at Wal-Mart, a spool of elastic thread and some Superglue. Just make a pattern that you like from several sizes/shapes/colors of beads that pleases you, string the pattern over and over until you have strung enough to make a bracelet or necklace, pull the ends just a little more than snug, tie a knot and dab some Superglue on the knot. When the glue is dry, trim the ends off and wiggle the knot under the end bead to hide it. It's that simple and you can probably get enough beads to make a nice pattern for under $10 depending on the beads you chose. There will probably even be enough beads left over to make a second piece for a friend.

Just be careful. ;) Beading doesn't have to be an expensive hobby, but it IS very addicting!:D

Upvote 0