Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I believe that the VP is important because of the age of all the likely candidates.

The VP has two Consitutiutonal duties. We will see one of them happen on TV next month if Congress still works fast to meet a year-end deadline.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,182.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
The VP has two Consitutiutonal duties. We will see one of them happen on TV next month if Congress still works fast to meet a year-end deadline.
Uh, no we won't. The VP doesn't preside at the trial of a President.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Uh, no we won't. The VP doesn't preside at the trial of a President.

He is the tiebreaker in a 50-50 Senate vote, so in case something weird happens, he should be present at ther trial. Also, Intelligence Committee Democrats subpoenaed him to be a witness. But I was referring to the 25th Amendment.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...making either of these two the youngest president in history if elected, and neither has the qualifications of the two who are next closest (TR Roosevelt and John Kennedy).

What qualifications did Kennedy have that far outstrips Gabbard? He served in war time with a distinguished record. He worked for a short time as a journalist. He served in the house and senate.

Gabbard served in war time. She served on a city council, in a state house and in the US house.

Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

GACfan

Aug 15, 2019
Texas
✟77,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you back Trump. Then yes. Back away from the corrupt authoritarian and I'll vote for a Republican again. Maybe.

As a registered Independent, I won't vote for a Republican who supported Trump. I'll vote Democratic or Third Party. I'm not going to politically support a Republican who is/was a Trump Republican.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If elected:

Sanders would be 79 at inauguration.
Biden would be 78.

Gabbard would be 39.
Buttigieg would be 39.

These 4 are either too old or too young.
Are you worried about their age?
I think a 39 years old, with plenty of experience is better that someone in bad health. Or someone with out of date idea's. Or some one, that get joy of harassing and bullying and tearing both parties apart. I think Trump, Biden and Sanders are older, than I prefer. But if they take care of themselves. That helps with a longer life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
As a registered Independent, I won't vote for a Republican who supported Trump. I'll vote Democratic or Third Party. I'm not going to politically support a Republican who is/was a Trump Republican.

I will play it safe and vote Democrat down ticket. Third party candidates can support Trump's ideas.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What qualifications did Kennedy have that far outstrips Gabbard? He served in war time with a distinguished record. He worked for a short time as a journalist. He served in the house and senate.
As you say, he was a US Senator. That may not put him "ahead" of Tulsi Gabbard, a congresswoman from a very small state, but many people would say that it does. Hardly any people have moved directly from the House to be President, and that's for a reason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,492.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That's exactly where I'm at.

I've split ticket every year of my life but if the GOP publicly backs Trump in the face of overwhelming evidence of corruption, it's over. I won't vote for a local GOP candidate even if it's for the position of dog catcher. The party that tears down all reason and justice to protect their own needs to be devoured, locked in a building and burned to the ground, set adrift on an ice flow... etc.

The party that backs their corrupt President, is the party that is an existential threat to the United States.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will not happily vote for anyone older than I am. Having had three severe health scares in the last 12 months--and I've been health conscious all my life--I'm all too aware that people older than their late 60s are always one day away from a stroke or some other crippling ailment. And a stroke would be luckier than Alzheimer's' which can take a person from fully lucid to catatonic in two years.

The other problem with such old people is that their perspective is also too old. They're all still fighting yesterdays battles by yesterday's methods. The new battles aren't even on their radar. They can intellectually accent to issues like climate change or the failure of Social Security ("Oh, yes, that's important...we'll get to that"), but when you say "This will be critical in 2050," that puts it into psychological "science fiction" territory for them. If you were a kid in the 50s or 60s, everything happening in 2050 has always been science fiction. Such issues that are critical to Millennials will never reach their psychological front burners and keep them awake at night.

Whether 39 is too young depends entirely on what that young person has taken from his own experiences as well as the experiences of others. A wise young person knows how to choose wise advisors--and knows how to pay attention to them ("knowing how to pay attention" means knowing what to take and what to leave alone).

One thing that concerns me is the failure of Boomer politicians to groom proteges. People like John Kennedy didn't come out of nowhere. They had older mentors in politics.

We have a bunch of young folk--Millennials and X-Genners--who have stepped up more or less out of the boondocks. That should not have been the case. There should be a whole class of people in their 40s and 50s who have been mentored by Boomer politicians...and who the Boomers should be standing behind with grins on their faces.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,492.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One thing that concerns me is the failure of Boomer politicians to groom proteges. People like John Kennedy didn't come out of nowhere. They had older mentors in politics.
This is primarily a Democratic party problem. The GOP is quite good at finding and bringing up local candidates. There are many more qualified mid-tier GOP candidates than their are Democratic.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,405.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
While I see noticeable signs of Trump's mental deterioration in his rambling, repetitive, incoherent speeches and tweets as well as in the unbelievable faux pas he commits, saying, for example, that our fighter jets were in the skies during the Revolutionary War, they are far less noticeable in Bernie and Biden.

Biden has an occasional verbal gaffe, perhaps one to every hundred or so of Trump's.

Bernie is straightforward and straight talking. He doesn't embellish; he just tells it like it is, but it is obvious he has all his faculties.

I do not support Gabbard at any age.

I am very impressed by Mayor Pete's intelligence, authenticity, and demeanor. I think he has all the skills a good president needs. While he could have more experience, he has more than our current president had, and it seems obvious tht he makes use of what he learns far more effectively.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I will not happily vote for anyone older than I am. Having had three severe health scares in the last 12 months--and I've been health conscious all my life--I'm all too aware that people older than their late 60s are always one day away from a stroke or some other crippling ailment. And a stroke would be luckier than Alzheimer's' which can take a person from fully lucid to catatonic in two years.
I am 77 years old. I am physically active and have regular checkups. I have no known health problems and take no medication. However, it is clear to me that I have neither the physical nor mental stamina I had when I was, say, 50. I exercise my professional skills effectively on a part-time basis but I suspect that If I attempted to do so 40 or 50 hours a week continuously for a long period my effectiveness would soon break down. Thinking of that, I consider a person of my age taking up what is probably the most demanding and stressful job in the world and I have serious doubts about it--even if he or she suffered no major health emergencies.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0