Any Online Faith Formation Classes For The Episcopal Church?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'll leave the episcopal succession of the Episcopal church to my Episcopal friends; American history not being my strong suit. :)

The first American Episcopal bishop was Samuel Seabury (Samuel Seabury - Wikipedia). He was consecrated by bishops in the Scottish Episcopal Church. Immediately after the revolution, we were not on good terms with England, but the Scottish church was willing to help us out. It is in gratitude for this that the cross of St. Andrew appears on the flag of the Episcopal Church.

• Winner
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This may sound like a dumb question, but are there instructions on how to use it?
More or less, yes. The whole thing can look bewildering to the newcomer, but if you carefully examine the contents you will find the guides to just about everything, either at the beginning of each prayer, or as in the 1979 book, on the front page of each section of the book, by which I mean Morning Prayer or the Order for Holy Communion, etc.

I have no idea what cycle year it would be this year, things like that.
Yes, the 1979 has several different ones, but I am not the person to ask about that.

• Agree
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
The first American Episcopal bishop was Samuel Seabury (Samuel Seabury - Wikipedia). He was consecrated by bishops in the Scottish Episcopal Church. Immediately after the revolution, we were not on good terms with England, but the Scottish church was willing to help us out. It is in gratitude for this that the cross of St. Andrew appears on the flag of the Episcopal Church.

Thank you for your reply and explanation.

As I mentioned to TampaSteve, I know that the Catholic church doesn't hold the Apostolic succession of the Episcopal church as valid.

Is this only because the Episcopal church isn't in communion with Rome?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your reply and explanation.

As I mentioned to TampaSteve, I know that the Catholic church doesn't hold the Apostolic succession of the Episcopal church as valid.

Is this only because the Episcopal church isn't in communion with Rome?
No. Frankly, it was a political move on the part of the Vatican 300 years after the fact and even Roman Catholic theologians today think the claim, the accusation about breaking the lineage, doesn't add up.

In any case, Anglicans also have the lines of succession of Eastern Orthodox and Old Catholic bishops, both of which communions Rome considers to have had valid succession.

• Winner
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's a lot of flipping back and forth with use of the BCP, so I personally wouldn't want the Kindle version. However, that appears to be the book all right--the 1979 edition that is the standard in The Episcopal Church.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
In any case, Anglicans also have the lines of succession of Eastern Orthodox and Old Catholic bishops, both of which communions Rome considers to have had valid succession.

This is good to hear. Not that a decision really hinged on it being valid, but it does make me feel better in a way that I cannot explain.

There's a lot of flipping back and forth with use of the BCP, so I personally wouldn't want the Kindle version.

I was looking at the Kindle version only because I work as an EMT and I have my personal tablet with me at all times.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,295.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Ok, so without seeing the app, my guess is this. The app probably uses Morning and Evening Prayer, while the site you linked uses "devotions for individuals and families". They are both in the Book of Common Prayer but have different purposes. Many individuals who do do daily worship tend to use Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer, though they were originally designed for congregational use. Here is a link to a free online version of the Book of Common prayer as used in the Episcopal Church. The Online Book of Common Prayer and this https://www.amazon.com/Inwardly-Dig...ad+mark+inwardly+digest&qid=1571092960&sr=8-4 book is an outstanding guide on how we used the BCP as a way to build our selves up spiritually.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Ok, so without seeing the app, my guess is this. The app probably uses Morning and Evening Prayer, while the site you linked uses "devotions for individuals and families". They are both in the Book of Common Prayer but have different purposes. Many individuals who do do daily worship tend to use Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer, though they were originally designed for congregational use. Here is a link to a free online version of the Book of Common prayer as used in the Episcopal Church. The Online Book of Common Prayer and this https://www.amazon.com/Inwardly-Dig...ad+mark+inwardly+digest&qid=1571092960&sr=8-4 book is an outstanding guide on how we used the BCP as a way to build our selves up spiritually.

I think you're right about the differences!

I am going to order the kindle version of that Inwardly book within the next couple minutes because even if I don't become an Episcopalian it looks to be a great book for most at the very least of the liturgical churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,295.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think you're right about the differences!

I am going to order the kindle version of that Inwardly book within the next couple minutes because even if I don't become an Episcopalian it looks to be a great book for most at the very least of the liturgical churches.
No it's very specific for the Episcopal Church, but it's the best way to sort of understood what life as an Episcopalian can look like.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
No it's very specific for the Episcopal Church, but it's the best way to sort of understood what life as an Episcopalian can look like.

I was reading the reviews and a couple said that it is good for more than just the Episcopal church, hence my comment.

Either way, it's a good resource and will help me immensely!

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Part of the same global communion, though.
Very true, one of the great strengths of the Anglican Communion is the global reach and room for expression. But (not trying to debate, just pointing out) in the USA if one has broken from TEC and aligned with the ANA or other global churches, one should be aware of why that has taken place, especially if one leans liberal. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Very true, one of the great strengths of the Anglican Communion is the global reach and room for expression. But (not trying to debate, just pointing out) in the USA if one has broken from TEC and aligned with the ANA or other global churches, one should be aware of why that has taken place, especially if one leans liberal. :)

I'm kind of confused about what you're saying.

TEC and the Anglican Church of Rwanda are part of the same church, so resources produced by someone associated with the latter will likely still be relevant to those exploring TEC.

The breakaway churches are irrelevant to that conversation.

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟408,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Isilwen, it's great to hear you are interested in the Episcopal Church. I wanted to throw out a few thoughts in response to this thread:

1. If you are willing to pay $9/month for their content, check out churchnext.tv. It has a ton of online short courses on every topic imaginable, and mostly from an Episcopal viewpoint. If you prefer free resources, check out The Discovery Series, created by the Episcopal Diocese of Texas (Google will find it for you). I've used this program several times with adult confirmation classes and it's very good.

2. The 1979 BCP can be found very easily online at bcponline.org. No need to buy the Kindle version, really.

3. As Paidiske mentioned, we are in Year C of the Revised Common Lectionary. But the Morning and Evening Prayer readings follow a totally different cycle in our BCP. For that, we are in Year 1.

4. I am a huge fan of the eCP (electronic Common Prayer) app made by Church Publishing. If you use that, you never have to look at calendars ever again to figure out readings, saints' days, etc. It's the only app I've ever paid for and would gladly pay for it again.

5. If you need a little help figuring out Morning and Evening Prayer, check out a website like dailyoffice.wordpress.com. It has the whole thing on one page.

Good luck!

• Useful
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm kind of confused about what you're saying.

TEC and the Anglican Church of Rwanda are part of the same church, so resources produced by someone associated with the latter will likely still be relevant to those exploring TEC.

The breakaway churches are irrelevant to that conversation.
OK, thanks for clarifying that. I will leave it there, I don't want to lead the thread astray or violate the SOP since I am not Anglican :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

I have started to read the book suggested while waiting for my copy of the BCP, which should be in tomorrow.

So far I am enjoying the read.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Isilwen, it's great to hear you are interested in the Episcopal Church. I wanted to throw out a few thoughts in response to this thread:

1. If you are willing to pay $9/month for their content, check out churchnext.tv. It has a ton of online short courses on every topic imaginable, and mostly from an Episcopal viewpoint. If you prefer free resources, check out The Discovery Series, created by the Episcopal Diocese of Texas (Google will find it for you). I've used this program several times with adult confirmation classes and it's very good.

2. The 1979 BCP can be found very easily online at bcponline.org. No need to buy the Kindle version, really.

3. As Paidiske mentioned, we are in Year C of the Revised Common Lectionary. But the Morning and Evening Prayer readings follow a totally different cycle in our BCP. For that, we are in Year 1.

4. I am a huge fan of the eCP (electronic Common Prayer) app made by Church Publishing. If you use that, you never have to look at calendars ever again to figure out readings, saints' days, etc. It's the only app I've ever paid for and would gladly pay for it again.

5. If you need a little help figuring out Morning and Evening Prayer, check out a website like dailyoffice.wordpress.com. It has the whole thing on one page.

Good luck!

Thank you very much. I will check out the resources you mentioned.

Upvote 0