Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is a couple of GREAT bands coming in February to the Hawthorne Ballroom in Portland, OR.

Friday, February 4th
Haste The Day, Mychildren Mybride, The Chariot, A Plea For Purging

Saturday, February 12th
War of Ages, Times of Grace and Straight Line Stitch
This is going to be a great show!

Two weekends in a row with amazing Christian Metal bands playing.

See you in the mosh pit!

123236d1292873554-metal-smiley.gif

Note: Also, the Roseland Theater is having Underoath with Thursday, Animals as Leaders, and A Skylit Drive on Tuesday, Feb 01

Last edited:

godisreal36

Nov 19, 2010
State of ohio, USA
✟2,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Never in a million years did I expect to see a Slayer video on an Orthodox forum! LOL!

I use to listen to slayer a little, my sister loved them, Im not sure what they sing about. Im into Matallica, Creed and stuff like that now. I love jesus and i love to love like god said to, metal music isn't all bad, but yea i know what you mean, i never thought id see the day either..

It reminds me of "The lion shall lay down with the lamb". Is that in the bible? I think it is, not saying that's what it means but it does remind me of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
What kind of metal are all those? Never heard of any of them (except Underoath, they're hard to miss these days).
Well, I see most of them listed as metalcore... although that seems to be kind of a general term these days.

Here, check them out yourself.

War of Ages, in my top 5 metal bands of all time
YouTube - WAR OF AGES "Collapse" Official Music video

Straight Line Stitch, quickly rising in my list of favorite bands. Alexis, besides being one of the most beautiful women in metal, has both one of the nicest melodic voices and one of the meanest growls I have ever heard. Definatly a band to keep an eye on. SLS do not appear to be a Christian band.
YouTube - Straight Line Stitch "Remission" official video

MyChildren MyBride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiW3S42Xx7w

A Plea For Purging
YouTube - A Plea For Purging - Malevolence

Times of Grace. Appear Christian, but I haven't heard them verify it, and i haven't read their lyrics.
YouTube - Times of Grace - Where The Spirit Leads Me (Official Video)

The Chariot
YouTube - THE CHARIOT - TEACH (VIDEO)

Haste The Day
YouTube - Haste The Day - Stitches

Animals as Leaders. I know absolutely nothing about this band, but the below video impressed me.
YouTube - Animals As Leaders - "CAFO" Prosthetic Records

A Skylit Drive. I know absolutely nothing about this band, but I did like the below video.
YouTube - A SKYLIT DRIVE - I'm Not A Thief, I'm A Treasure Hunter (video)

Thursday. I know absolutely nothing about this band, but I the below video was... ok... I guess. Actually, I can't say I like it much. Maybe I'll give them another chance later.
YouTube - In Silence

And like you said... Who doesn't know about Underoath?
YouTube - Underoath - In Division

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I <3 you xuxana! :D

Never in a million years did I expect to see a Slayer video on an Orthodox forum! LOL!
At least it's one of their songs with the least offensive content! lol! ;)

I use to listen to slayer a little, my sister loved them, Im not sure what they sing about. Im into Matallica, Creed and stuff like that now. I love jesus and i love to love like god said to, metal music isn't all bad, but yea i know what you mean, i never thought id see the day either..

It reminds me of "The lion shall lay down with the lamb". Is that in the bible? I think it is, not saying that's what it means but it does remind me of it.
You are right. It's not all bad. I do still listen to some secular metal, but I try to make sure I know the message I'm listening to. You know, I even love some of the new rock/metal like Black Veil Brides and Vampires Everywhere! Both are good musically, and enjoyable live, and VE are a pleasure to hang out with.

I was definitely a thrasher back in the day... then I realized I needed a job and had to cut my hair... :(
Yea. I hung up my spiked leather and cut my hair years ago. People i meet are usually surprised when they find out i like metal. But hey, it's the music I like, not the fashion.

Upvote 0
L

LinuxLurker01

Yea. I hung up my spiked leather and cut my hair years ago. People i meet are usually surprised when they find out i like metal. But hey, it's the music I like, not the fashion.

I never said I didn't like the fashion -- just isn't very conducive to holding down a 9-5 job that will pay the bills. :p

I think I'm still stuck in the eighties. I never moved much beyond thrash. All this growling/screaming stuff just doesn't interest me much. Slayer's Reign in Blood and Metallica's Kill 'Em All will probably always be my two favorite albums. Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden all rank up there among my favorites as well, but I'm not sure how much of a place Mr. King Diamond has in Orthodox metal collections... ;)

Oh, and some of Tourniquet's early thrash stuff is pretty good (see below), though their later albums remind me of grunge gone horribly wrong (more than grunge already is, anyway).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikFOk4dWuI

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

godisreal36

Nov 19, 2010
State of ohio, USA
✟2,178.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Ive been looking for some new music, i subscribed to many of these you tube channels. Thanks people. I agree, the lyrics are the most important part of determining music quality. King Diamond, i listened to that stuff when i was young. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, i cant figure out what he sings about.... but it don't sound good.

Upvote 0
L

LinuxLurker01

King Diamond, i listened to that stuff when i was young. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, i cant figure out what he sings about.... but it don't sound good.

His solo stuff tends to be horror concept albums. With Mercyful Fate, it's overtly satanic and to be avoided. Haven't had anything of his in my collection in many years since I became an active Christian...

Upvote 0